Commander Keen: Project Shadowlands

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

So let's say if I'm creating a game with a boy and his pogo, and I name it Commander Ween, then ID will shut me down? C'mooon.
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

wiivn wrote:So let's say if I'm creating a game with a boy and his pogo, and I name it Commander Ween, then ID will shut me down? C'mooon.
Actually i did some backtracking research on the subject and found that there actually was no 'lawsuit' agains the project. At first there was news that ID wished the project shut down and would take legal action in case it didn't. Apparently it turned out that the messeges recived was hoaxes made by mean users just to annoy. Good thing i pulled myself to find this news because back then i was finding it very exciting that someone was making a fan movie, and this news hit the web, you think 'aw fucl it'. Since the project was abandoned anway i assumed it was really shut down by ID.

Guess i was wrong then :o

Please proceed being awsome.
Laz
Grunt

Post by Laz »

Mmm. Well im going to keep pushing this project anyways so it doesnt matter really.

Im still working on the menu system, its taking waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than i initially thought. Even though Unity makes specific dealings much easier (it already has functions for changing res, windowed mode, global quality settings etc), its still quite a lengthy process as the actual menus system is being built from the ground up. I haven't even started on paddlewar yet, and thats an even bigger undertaking. Well, kind of. Ive already built the prototpye in flash, wont be too difficult to port.

One problems Im having with the menus is the design, I want it to be as close to the original as possible.

A) cos i wanna keep things similar to the original for that added sense of nostalgia.
B) cos i cant be arsed redesigning it.

Problem is, its not translating as well as I would like. Ill keep trucking with how its going and post it up to see what you think.

On the note of keeping things underwraps, I might start to pull back how much I am releasing.

When the game design starts happening, I dont want to give too much away - There is an original storyline happening and I dont want to ruin it for you.
Nerd42
Grunt

Post by Nerd42 »

whaddya think about an OverClocked Remix style soundtrack that remixes the original game soundtrack? I'd be interested in contributing an "Eat Your Veggies" remix for this game :)

and BTW you should use the original sound effects. I can get them for you if you want - I have them in a .zip file somewhere
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I found this article on NZ Gamer about this fangame.

http://www.nzgamer.com/all/news/3583/ki ... -keen.html

And on the article it says that id had given you their blessing saying it was a "tribute". Is this true? I ask because it wasn't stated in the other articles posted and you haven't stated yourself, in fact you've indicated just the opposite; being nervous about what they'd do with the exposure.

If they did give you their blessing, then that's great news and would actually be a first to see id give their blessing to Keen fangames. If not, oh well, at least we'd know if that was true or not.
Nerd42
Grunt

Post by Nerd42 »

I'm pretty sure that the Commander Keen intellectual property (trademarks particularly) are no longer the property of id Software. Could be wrong about this, but I remember reading it somewhere
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

How did they lose it? If they didn't own the IP we'd have TUIT, because then Tom Hall would be free to make the game.

I would like to see your source, if you could ever find it.
DSL

Post by DSL »

Lava89 wrote:And on the article it says that id had given you their blessing saying it was a "tribute". Is this true? I ask because it wasn't stated in the other articles posted and you haven't stated yourself, in fact you've indicated just the opposite; being nervous about what they'd do with the exposure.
Well, it was just me believing old news from the past, ID was said to lawsuit a Doom-fan project, wich was abandoned in the end, but not thanks to any lawsuit at all, it was just a hoax threat sent by vicious internet people to the project leader. The project was abandoned probably because lack of interest or the fact that it was too much work in the end.

Read my previous posts.
Nerd42
Grunt

Post by Nerd42 »

DSL wrote:
Lava89 wrote:And on the article it says that id had given you their blessing saying it was a "tribute". Is this true? I ask because it wasn't stated in the other articles posted and you haven't stated yourself, in fact you've indicated just the opposite; being nervous about what they'd do with the exposure.
Well, it was just me believing old news from the past, ID was said to lawsuit a Doom-fan project, wich was abandoned in the end, but not thanks to any lawsuit at all, it was just a hoax threat sent by vicious internet people to the project leader. The project was abandoned probably because lack of interest or the fact that it was too much work in the end.

Read my previous posts.
id isn't the lawsuit type. But ZeniMax might be.

whatever happened to Tom Hall and why don't they just give him the rights
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

DSL wrote:

Read my previous posts.
My point is that Laz hasn't indicated that ID gave him their blessing, and his fear of getting exposure doesn't indicate that they have; regardless if his fear is well grounded.
DSL

Post by DSL »

Lava89 wrote:My point is that Laz hasn't indicated that ID gave him their blessing, and his fear of getting exposure doesn't indicate that they have; regardless if his fear is well grounded.
Don't think Laz have any fear of ID, or should have for that matter.
Zeni would not care for this type of things either if they had any reason for objection of it's production. It's too small.

ID's blessings could be something like NZGamer sent an email to ID asking about their oppinion and got some reply like "uhm yeah looks cool".
An article always have more value if you bring some big names to it.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

DSL wrote:ID's blessings could be something like NZGamer sent an email to ID asking about their oppinion and got some reply like "uhm yeah looks cool".
An article always have more value if you bring some big names to it.
That's very possible, they could've just asked ID independently. Which is what I am wondering.

Essentially: the website asked ID themselves, Laz told them that he got ID's blessing or they're presenting false information.
Laz
Grunt

Post by Laz »

technically id no longer own the ip their parent company zenimax will.

as for nzgamer, Conrad got his wires crossed, some how he got what he did out of the original kotaku coverage which said nothing of the sort, in fact quite the opposite.

As far as IP is concerned, I no longer care they should have returned the IP to Tom Hall a long time ago.

btw nerd42 I replied to your youtube message.
DSL

Post by DSL »

A little side note.
Seems like Nintendo decided to shut down a Zelda fan project.
http://kotaku.com/5438788/zelda-fan-mov ... os-request
In this case perhaps it's the best, seems like the movie was crappy anyway.
ImageMay the Well Of Wishes grant you a fortunate new year!
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

The news

Post by GoldenRishi »

So, what's the news, Laz?

Are you continuing this project? If so, I bet that you have a whole bunch of exciting new material.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)