Commander Keen Source?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Paulishdog
Grunt

Commander Keen Source?

Post by Paulishdog »

Hello everybody!

I recently picked up the Orange Box, and, to make a slightly long story short, became interested in modding it. My real passion lies in level creation, but I would very much like to create a whole mod.

I've kicked around a few ideas, but my best idea by far is a Commander Keen mod. I felt that Keen 5 would be the best to do on the source engine. I've been thinking it through, contemplating the various tasks and difficulties that might come up.

I am by no means experienced at all at this sort of thing, but I would like to see it happen. Either I need help, or quite a lot of time to learn how to do this sort of thing. It seems like people here have quite a bit more experience than I do, so I have a few questions.

Is this something that can be done fairly easily?

How much, and what kind of support could I recieve from people here?

And finally, what is the interest in this project?

This may not happen at all. I have a lot of time on my hands right now, but that could change. Anyway, thank you for considering with me how cool it would be. :)
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Hahaha, when I saw the title I was thinking this would be another thread about if the Keen source code would ever get released.

That sounds like a really neat idea. Unfortunately, most of us are pretty much only experienced with modding Commander Keen and related games (so far as I know :disguised). Anyway, I have a suspicion that a Half-Life mod would be far more involved than a Keen mod. I just don't think many of us will be able to help out without learning a lot ourselves. But don't let me deter you from it if you really want a 3D Keen. Source seems like it would be the best choice for such a mod.

And welcome to the forums. :)

Edit: And if you do go through with this, might I suggest an original storyline/setting? That would be way more interesting than just 3D Keen 5. Plus it would give you even more creative opportunities.
Paulishdog
Grunt

Post by Paulishdog »

Well thank you!

Actually, the reason I want to do Keen 5 first is to make this as straight forward as possible. Doing an original storyline would be a lot more involved and potentially complicate matters too far to get the project finished. My priority is to make this doable.

Of course, if this does get done, it would open up the possiblity not only for making more original Keen adventures myself, but also build a foundation for others to tackle Keen with the source engine.

Anyway, right now the main edits to the source engine I want to focus on are the pogo stick and the neural stunner. If I can get those two things modded in, I think I can do everything else with the existing half life engine and some unique models. Of course, once I have a working pogo mechanic, I can really start the level design process. Hopefully I'll have SOMETHING to show within a week or two.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Sadly I can't help much with 3D stuff, but nevertheless I wish you luck and I'm looking forward to what you'll have to show.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

Out of curiosity, are you thinking of something that plays like a standard FPS, or working with the engine to make something more like this?
Paulishdog
Grunt

Post by Paulishdog »

That would be awesome, but it's way beyond my capabilities. I had considered it though. Maybe in a future release. For now, it'll just be a standard FPS, although with an emphasis on platforming.

I've learned how to make textures... I've recreated the first section of Defense Tunnel Burrh in the style I want. I just need to learn how to make a pogo and I'll have something playable.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Hi Paulishdog

Your project sounds really cool and I hope you succeed. What programs are you using to make models with? I have worked on 3D models and I might be able to give advice.

About whether you make it based on Keen 5: If you make your own story you will have the freedom to make it as expansive or simple as you like. But making it based on Keen 5 would be just as interesting. In the end, it's truly up to you and I hope you do well on whatever direction you choose.
Paulishdog
Grunt

Post by Paulishdog »

Ugh. Modding is... problematic. I have no idea where I should even start looking for help on how to make a pogo. Without it, the game just isn't going to work. People just don't mod controls and character movement. I also thought it would be a lot easier to create NPCs... turns out no one is really sure how to do it, except the good folks at Valve.

I think I'll still attempt to complete the maps. Maybe. But I've lost a lot of the drive to do this project.

Sorry folks, if anyone wants to pick up this project and put some work into it, I'll be happy to help you with what I've found out. Perhaps I'll revisit this in the near future, after I do some projects that are more at my skill level.

I'll stick around too. I love Keen. :D
bp
Vortininja

Post by bp »

Alright, this is going to be coming at it from a long stretch, but are you familiar with Garry's Mod? It adds Lua capabilities to Source, and Lua, (a scripting language,) is much easier to learn and use, with a little bit of self-training. (If you've taken Algebra I.) Lua would be great for things such as weapons, the pogo stick, NPCs, etc...

As for making maps, if you get good enough at Lua you could convince someone to help you, or try your hand at mapping yourself. Basically, making a Source mod comes down to three things:

1. Custom props/models
2. Mapping
3. Coding

If you can manage these three things, then you could most likely succeed. :)