Difficulty launching Patchwork Mod II

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Lumpytoast
Vortininja

Difficulty launching Patchwork Mod II

Post by Lumpytoast »

I downloaded The Patchwork Mod II shortly after beating the first one, (excellent mod, by the way) only to be met by great disappointment because I can't get the darned thing to run! :dead2

This is easy, right? After pressing a key...

...I'm immediately booted to the end screen.

What happened? :confused I extracted everything with the setup file, mounted the directory through DOSBox and ran 2Patch.bat.
Do I need the original Commander Keen 2 files to run this mod? Help would be greatly appreciated.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Well yeah, you need to put a Keen2.exe (version 1.31) in the directory if there is none. And you should unlzexe it for some patches require the exe to be unpacked.

This procedure is usually true for all Keen 2 & 3 mods as those aren't shareware, and modders try to stay on the save side legally, so they don't provide the exe. You can get those from the keen collective on bipship btw.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Lumpytoast
Vortininja

Post by Lumpytoast »

tulip wrote:Well yeah, you need to put a Keen2.exe (version 1.31) in the directory if there is none. And you should unlzexe it for some patches require the exe to be unpacked.

This procedure is usually true for all Keen 2 & 3 mods as those aren't shareware, and modders try to stay on the save side legally, so they don't provide the exe. You can get those from the keen collective on bipship btw.
...I honestly can't believe that I haven't tried that yet. :crazy
Followed your instructions exactly, and now it's working. Thank you!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The big problem here is that the end screen clears away any error messages. The only way to see them is to edit the BAT file.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.