Can you find the error?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Hmm you know that, while the game maybe uses a resolution of 320x200 which isn't 4:3, it was designed to be shown on 4:3 displays? Many games used 320x200 with "non-square pixels" on 4:3 CRT displays this way.

Assuming the pic in the beginning of thread is just a stretched screenshot, it's sorta more similar to the original in that way, although you can see artifacts of the stretching then.
If a higher resolution is used (e.g. first scale 320x200 to 1280x800, then stretch to 1280x960), it's then possible to make the artifacts less noticeable.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

This is the "Unofficial Keen Games" section after all.
Touché.
If a higher resolution is used (e.g. first scale 320x200 to 1280x800, then stretch to 1280x960), it's then possible to make the artifacts less noticeable.
Fortunately, modern displays are increasingly of a widescreen nature. I guess iD was well ahead of their time on this as well.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Genius314 wrote:The fact that the dead Bloog seems to be floating above the ground, judging by the rock in the background?
Checked that. It's just like in the original Keen 6.
NY00123 wrote:Assuming the pic in the beginning of thread is just a stretched screenshot, it's sorta more similar to the original in that way, although you can see artifacts of the stretching then.
I don't think it's stretched. Otherwise Keen would be looking taller.

Edit: I'm kinda sad that no one noticed that the glitches in the tiles of the tree's diagonal branches were fixed.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

:O
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote:Edit: I'm kinda sad that no one noticed that the glitches in the tiles of the tree's diagonal branches were fixed.
I guess I am a sad soul just like everyone else, because I did not notice the glitch in the branch either.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Pretty sure its not an error, just a matter of perspective. In the original, it looks like the artist was trying to have the branch stemming out of the front side of the tree. In KingDuke's fix, the branch is stemming from the back side of the tree.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Ceilick wrote:Pretty sure its not an error, just a matter of perspective. In the original, it looks like the artist was trying to have the branch stemming out of the front side of the tree. In KingDuke's fix, the branch is stemming from the back side of the tree.
Right. Gotta go back and fix that. But have a look at the 45 degree branch in Guard Post 2: http://www.shikadi.net/wiki/keen/images ... k6lv09.png
I'm pretty sure at least that one is a tile glitch.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
RivaStyle
Vortininja

Post by RivaStyle »

In the tree at the start (lower left branch) there is a tile glitch, you can see the rock that's overriding the tree...
"So Achmed, you're trying to impersonate someone?"

"I'm Santa Claus, dammit! I look just like him! I'm jolly... and I'm fat... ish..."