Compatability with dual stick controllers

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Compatability with dual stick controllers

Post by BlueGasMask »

For instance: dual shock, xbox, etc.

I'm hoping that gamepads and joysticks haven't been already coded in but if they haven't wold it be possible to map a stick's axis in the controls menu to a certain action (eg for ds3 walking left/right bound to x axis (left stick left/right))

otherwise will i just have to use JoytoKey and MotioninJoy?
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I imagine that if there's game control support already (I haven't checked but would assume so), then it's just a matter of telling the OS how to interpret the device and feed the input to the program. It would be no different to using a USB or Bluetooth Playstation imitation controller.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Sorry, I don't get it...

You can map to action and direction everything you want. You can map buttons and joystick axes...

So for example you can use buttons for walking, or an axis for jumping. Try it out :-)

That works since version 0.3.0.0 afaik.
Having fun developing stuff...
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

gerstrong wrote:Sorry, I don't get it...

You can map to action and direction everything you want. You can map buttons and joystick axes...

So for example you can use buttons for walking, or an axis for jumping. Try it out :-)

That works since version 0.3.0.0 afaik.
i think i'll go cliché and map button 3 (X) to jump.

actually, i'll store a copy of my key map on CKFS so people who want to use their sixaxis and ds3 controllers won't have to muddle around. i maybe will also set up a map for xbox 360 controllers.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

UPDATE: It seems I cannot map any key or axis of my controller OR my joystick to the game... has the feature actually been implemented yet?
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

BlueGasMask: Which version of CG are you using? Also check if analog joystick support is enabled/disabled. Try both cases out... and see what happens.

To map you should be able, but of course your joystick must be detected by the operating system.
Having fun developing stuff...
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

gerstrong wrote:BlueGasMask: Which version of CG are you using? Also check if analog joystick support is enabled/disabled. Try both cases out... and see what happens.

To map you should be able, but of course your joystick must be detected by the operating system.
The latest version from sourceforge.
My OS detected my DS3 fine, I even tested the Sixaxis functions.