How would I install Dead in the Desert on Windows 95?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Scilicet
Vortininja

How would I install Dead in the Desert on Windows 95?

Post by Scilicet »

I bought a USB floppy drive online so I could install Keen 6 on a Vista computer with a view to playing Dead in the Desert. However, the drive asked me to format every disk I put in it. After about five minutes of research online, I think I found that my problem. I believe that the device needs new drivers to work in Vista. Thus, I think it might be easier to install Dead in the Desert on my Windows 95. How would I go about doing this? When I downloaded a demo of One Must Fall: 2097 and burned it onto a CD using XP, the Windows 95 computer couldn't read it. If I tried it with Dead in the Desert, would this be likely to happen again?

Edit: I ran Driver Whiz on the Vista, and it said the drivers were up-to-date. Now the computer doesn't recognize the drive. I plugged it into an XP computer. The drivers installed, but the drive recognized only an undo disk made for a long-gone Windows 95 computer and one for Einstein Junior's Classroom. It said the rest, ones containing old DOS games, including Keen 6, weren't formatted. I have no idea why it's so picky. The only way I can get internet access on the Vista computer is if I disconnect everything, carry the tower downstairs, reconnect the components, and use the internet cable for another computer, which is what I did to download Driver Whiz. I'm frustrated, and I think the drive (TEAC brand) is a lemon. I'm looking into buying a used XP computer with a floppy drive.
Last edited by Scilicet on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:05, edited 1 time in total.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Alright. If I understand this right, you have a disc that has Keen 6 on it. It's the disk isn't readable on Vista. It may be readable on xp, on which you can burn it to a cd, but the cd won't read on a windows 95. And since you're talking about putting it on a cd for windows 95, I guess that 95 can't read the disc either...

If you can find *something* that can read the disc, you could just email the contents to yourself, redownload it from your email on the vista computer, and run it in dosbox. You can then apply the mod directly from the internet.
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

You can also just download Keen6 directly from bipship.com and save yourself some hassle. Technically you own it already.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Burn a CD-ROM with your favorite games. Or find an older USB drive that also has a driver CD and use said USB drive to transfer files to/from the computer.

Me, I use modern USB drives with my Pentium 2 computer because I have Puppy Linux installed next to Windows 98. That takes any USB drive (as long as said drive can do USB 1.0).
Wow look at me I'm lurking