Release of a couple of levels for an abandoned CK4 pack

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Release of a couple of levels for an abandoned CK4 pack

Post by NY00123 »

Hey all,

I've had a couple of custom Commander Keen 4 levels sitting here for some time. I estimate that to be not far from two years now!
Back then, I had a generic plan for a Commander Keen 4 level pack. Two levels were basically completed, and there's also a modified world map. However, I got stuck after beginning the construction of the third level. Eventually, the level pack wasn't completed, and it still isn't.

So, I now release the few levels available. They may not be that big, but ones may still like to try them out.

Download link: http://ny.duke4.net/files/keen/keen4-ny ... 111002.zip

Hope the ones who try it still have a little fun!
NY

EDIT: Oh, I've almost forgotten. If anybody wants to reference to this pack by *some* name... hmm... I guess "NY00123's first abandoned CK4 level pack" does it? -_-
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Wait up! I might be able to use at least one of these for the Keen 4 community pack. Edit: actually, it may not be possible with the flipped perspective unless someone wants to put in a lot of work flipping it back.

Wow. The flipped perspective is really cool. I've never seen anything quite like that before. I wouldn't have even thought it possible. I also like some of your tricks where you manipulated bridges to make other things in the environment dissapear or appear.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I'll check this out later. I'm sure it's awesome.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Thanks for your replies so far!

There are a few things I've forgotten to mention here (and in the readme), so I'd like to do it now:
- Using cheats, if you warp to level 8, you'd see a few minor tests I've done with the switches. You may also notice the impacts of flipping the graphics on the unmodified portions of the level...
- While not that major, the BWB Megarocket level has technically been modified a little. It's still a mostly simple BWB level as before, though.
Gridlock wrote:Wait up! I might be able to use at least one of these for the Keen 4 community pack. Edit: actually, it may not be possible with the flipped perspective unless someone wants to put in a lot of work flipping it back.
Yeah, I can see the thing here: It's not just a plain level pack using 100% unmodified graphics (and tile properties). And yet, thanks for considering this!
Gridlock wrote:Wow. The flipped perspective is really cool. I've never seen anything quite like that before. I wouldn't have even thought it possible. I also like some of your tricks where you manipulated bridges to make other things in the environment dissapear or appear.
Nice to see that you like these!
Paramultart wrote:I'll check this out later. I'm sure it's awesome.
Thanks! Hope you like it, despite the levels being short.
neek
Vortininja

Post by neek »

WOW this is super creative!!! :O Somehow the perspective shift makes it look like it has better graphics haha. Too bad you couldn't do more! AMAZING WORK MAN
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

neek wrote:WOW this is super creative!!! :O Somehow the perspective shift makes it look like it has better graphics haha. Too bad you couldn't do more! AMAZING WORK MAN
Thanks for playing the levels and for your comment! I guess the perspective being uncommonly used in the CK games is the cause for your opinion regarding it.
Gridlock wrote:Wait up! I might be able to use at least one of these for the Keen 4 community pack. Edit: actually, it may not be possible with the flipped perspective unless someone wants to put in a lot of work flipping it back.
Well, in case there's still an interest, I've had an attempt at "porting" the levels to the original CK4 graphics (and tile properties). Level 4 isn't included, but the interest in it would probably be very low anyway...
The ported levels should be uploaded in some way...