Version 1.0 Release Candidate

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Version 1.0 Release Candidate

Post by gerstrong »

Hi Folks,

the next round is going on, and the beta stage is finally over after a long time. All AIs, if not perfect but working, in Episode 4 are there. Ending scenes, story, computer wrist and so on are still missing, but the gameplay is there with a lot improved physics which I think is the most important part.

My plan is to leave Keen 4 as finished now and fully get to Keen 5 what most people voted for in this thread:
https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=2434

Now I'm getting a chance to implement stuff that is galaxy but not episode specific, so it will effect all episodes and mods.
That's the goal of the upcoming version:

- Replace SmartPointers by unique_ptr or shared_ptr (C++11 Feature)
- Pressing Jump button in the intro should open the menu right away (Now ESC does that)
- CG should be able to get more parameters when being launched.
- End Message is needed when game is finished. Game doesn't yet end, when alls Members are rescued in Keen 4. An Ending Message will come and restart the game.
- Restart Question is still missing! We had it before, but since the GUI it was removed. This will return and be the original Selection Menu
- Keen needs to learn reading a book. He gets bored so far but never reads the book.
- Keen needs to learn pulling off his pants. Yeah, that gag is also missing. No so hard to implement I guess
- Classic dim dark effect will be added, like in the DOS-Games it was...
- The Input mapper must be improved the way a message tell "awaiting user input"
- Reduce object collision check. This will improve the performance even more.
- Basing on what the contest https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=2564 sends me and has sent, A new logo on the webpage will be seen.

After that I will do some tests with some help hopefully and fix bugs we might encounter. I also plan to improve the mod support of the older Keen games (Episode 1-3), clean the engine up, etc.. I have some Vorticon mods I want to support. This will be the chance to do so. After that, the release will be out.

Plans are to get this done before new year 2013. As celebration of 4 years Commander Genius I want to make this a special release, it has to be perfect!

What will come after the release? Well, the version is not yet clear, but one thing surely is. I will be working to get full Keen 5 support.
Having fun developing stuff...
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

There it is:

http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/download/

Release Canditate is out! Features now are frozen.

I will be fixing any reported bugs from now on until Dec 23rd when the real deal will go on.

Have fun!

NOTE: Keen7 is now bundled with CG!
Having fun developing stuff...