Keen 5 in next best CG Version 0.4 Beta 4

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).

What should CG be able to do next?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 16, 2012 18:08

Keen 7 as Mod would be nice to be supported
33%
Story Page system/Help wrist
17%
Intro Screen
No votes
Concentrate on more Vorticon details. (Please describe)
No votes
Support more Vorticon Mods. Next might be the ones which have been requested fro some time.
No votes
Keen 5!
42%
Keen 6!
8%
Sorry, none of those (Leave some suggestion to think about it)
No votes

Total votes: 12

gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Keen 5 in next best CG Version 0.4 Beta 4

Post by gerstrong »

Hi guys,

Now that finally all AIs are nearly done in K4, I wanted to focus on something different.

The AIs we have now are much better as also the physics a bit but it's far from perfect I know. Yet it is playable and fun to use.

I hope in some time I might get some help on those AIs because they ain't as hard to improve as any other stuff in the engine.

Getting to the poll, because I want the members of this forum decide in what direction CG should go next, or better said on what would you want to focus. My personal desires are those in the poll but you can also suggest others.

On the physics of Keen Galaxy I will go on later. I think for now it's playable and I need a break.
Last edited by gerstrong on Tue Jul 31, 2012 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
Having fun developing stuff...
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Keen 7 as it's based on Keen 4.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I'd recommend holding off on Keen 7 for the moment. I'd like to see a fully stable version of Keen 4 before you attempt anything else. And there still is a possibility that a Keen 7 revision may be done sometime in the future, thus negating a lot of the work you put in. I'm sure it's a pain, but getting the physics and controls perfect is probably the most important thing you guys can do. Having played/modded almost entirely the Galaxy games, I get frustrated with engines that try to imitate Keen Galaxy but don't get the physics and controls quite right.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Gridlock wrote:I'd recommend holding off on Keen 7 for the moment. I'd like to see a fully stable version of Keen 4 before you attempt anything else. And there still is a possibility that a Keen 7 revision may be done sometime in the future, thus negating a lot of the work you put in. I'm sure it's a pain, but getting the physics and controls perfect is probably the most important thing you guys can do. Having played/modded almost entirely the Galaxy games, I get frustrated with engines that try to imitate Keen Galaxy but don't get the physics and controls quite right.
Thanks Gridlock, you have a good point!
AST
Grunt

Post by AST »

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the original intent was to improve on the work done by Catlin add in support for the Galaxy series and eventually Kdreams.

So for me it would be as above with improvements over time to the support for the original games along with inclusion of mods.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Supporting Keen 7 would be a good choice at this moment I guess, because we'll learn about certain issues, like things that shouldn't be hardcoded in order to support galaxy mods at all, so we won't make that many mistakes when coding Keen 5 and 6 in. Plus it doesn't need new AIs to be coded.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Well I see Keen 5 so far is the winner, nevertheless I have to agree with tulip. So I think I'm going to make both.

I'm working now on physics again. Hopefully, the next release will have more accurate controls. I'm basing the design on our dissassembly this time.

Keen 5 should already load. At least I got some stuff working, like Start-screen and Worldmap. The level must load correctly and the AI will be missing of course.

Oh well... still a lot to do...
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

here comes a small teaser.

Check out this page for more:

http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/screens/
EDIT: Amazing! Even the music works and rocks. how I love that!
iLikeTheUDK
Meep

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

Any plans to make a HQP for the Goodbye Galaxy games? I could help you with it.
And if you are planning on doing so (and making all the sprites SVGA), then I think you should actually try to take full advantage of the wider range of tones - Goodbye Galaxy was originally going to use VGA graphics, but that didn't work out, but you could do it now. For example, you could use these as examples as for how to re-paint Keen: Image
Image[/img]
Last edited by iLikeTheUDK on Wed Dec 12, 2012 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

iLikeTheUDK wrote:Any plans to make a HQP for the Goodbye Galaxy games? I could help you with it.
And if you are planning on doing so (and making all the sprites SVGA), then I think you should actually try to take full advantage of the wider range of tones - Goodbye Galaxy was originally going to use VGA graphics, but that didn't work out, but you could do it now. For example, you could use these as examples as for how to re-paint Keen: Image
Image[/img]
Hi iLikeTheUDK,

There aren't plans for HQP in the Galaxy Engine right now, because the upcoming release makes us concentrate on some bugs we still have there left. After that more Keen 5 will get into the engine.

Nevertheless I might support HQP Graphics in those Keen games because it easy to do. It also might be possible in the version right after the release, which will follow shortly after.

There is only one condition I ask for. As I have had people working HQP and just dissappeared never finished what they promised to do and leaving work halfway done I want to see something completely done first.

In this case I want to see the tilemaps of Keen 4 (background and foreground) fully reworked. If you submit me that, I will implement the support. As CG has a modular design it will be easy to support and won't take long.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I can too implement vga tilesets in keengine, but the hard thing is someone to make one :).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

wiivn wrote:I can too implement vga tilesets in keengine, but the hard thing is someone to make one :).
Good thing you recognize that!