Version 1.0 Release

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Version 1.0 Release

Post by gerstrong »

Hi Guys,

I think it's about time.

The release has a schedule. It's December 23rd this year 2012.

As a celebration of four years CG you are going to get an awesome interpreter which finally supports Keen 4 fully and also the older 1-3 episodes. It took a long time, but we finally made it.

When Release Candidate comes out, I hope in like one or two weeks, I will freeze the features and test as of resolve bugs, also known and much older ones. The RC will contain some features, but it's not ground-breaking. https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=2565

Also thanks to the Android downloaders, we have been polishing that port a lot.

Tell us what you think about it.
Having fun developing stuff...
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It is amazing it's been so long.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Too bad it will come 2 days after the doomsday. We may never know what would it look like :no
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

It feels long indeed, even if we consider just the period beginning when a snapshot of the new mouse-driven UI has been exposed for the first time. A quick search reveals that it has possibly been a year.

Of course it is not as long as the time since Commander Genius was born, originally under the name of CloneKeen Plus.

Only time will tell what is awaiting us!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Yeah, right. It really has been very long, but rest assured the release after that won't be as long.

This is a big step forward compared to the last release, which is why that version number, also.

First comes the release candidate. All features will be frozen and getting feedback the release will be born.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

So far I got some bug reports, which are more than I really expected. I will try to fix them all and push another RC.

Special thanks to Tulip once again!!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Hi guys,

thanks for that much testing and feedback we got recently. I have uploaded a RC 2 for the meanwhile. It's unofficial:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloneke ... nius/V1.0/
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VslYx1ovMYI

Here goes a small video about the release.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Seems like the video got squished somehow, but otherwise it's a good promo!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

December 22nd is a great day for CG because the release is out and now it's official. Also that doomsday never took place is also a good sign for continuing the improvement on our work.

Yeah, I released this yesterday and yeah it was planned for December 23rd. Well, I like to surprise people.

It is out, it waits for you to get downloaded, played and enjoyed.

Now about that version I have to tell something. First of all thanks to all the contributors and people who helped me on that:
  • 1.- NY00123 helped me a lot on fixing bugs improving the smoother gameplay experience and even sending me patches to make everything even better. Also he gave me some hints how to integrate the original gameplay pinpointing some other projects how they made it happen. This all helped to get CG that awesome!
    2.- Tulip, we didn't have that much contact lately, but the last two months he helped a bit in finding bugs. He found a lot of critical ones. Thanks for that, especially in Keen 4 it improved the original and radical gameplay.
    3.- Pelya for his SDL Port to Android. Not sure how it started but as I'm concerned CG was the first to test on it and since then many games like Tyrian are ported to Android and work very well. Now everybody using Android can enjoy CG.
    4.- My girlfriend who also helped me fixing bugs. We tested some sprites and the 2-Player mode (Vorticon Engine), which now is much improved thanks to the new camera system and will let people coorperate each other to beat the levels.
    5.- The C++11 standard. I really love that upgrade. It reduces so much code and introduces so many new powerful container, yeah they came from boost and TR1 but still, it's part of the Language and that is great.
    6.- There were other people who came and went like FCTW and in the time they were, they also helped a bit on the integration of the galaxy engine and handling the Galaxy files. Also many thanks to them!
    7.- Other I might have forgotten. Yeah, I really meet a lot of people when going online or being outside the cyberspace and I tend to forget. So if I forgot someone, my apologies.
Thanks to all of them, because without you CG wouldn't have gotten that far.

Now about this release. This is really a release. It was tested a lot and can be considered stable. The last release was 0.3.7 and since then a lot has changed. Summarizing for all who stuck at that 0.3.7 version let me tell you that:
  • - We finally have mouse support for the menus. Galaxy Keen had that so we needed to have but my wish went for something more on
    - A new GUI system. Yeah nearly every menu can be controlled by the mouse, keyboard any joystick device. The GUI has been rewritten and offers more flexibility is faster and much more stable.
    - A new video system. Not only does it increase the framerate, it is more dynamic. You have a window that can be streched at to any size and many resolutions and filters to use for your graphical gaming enjoyment.
    - Commander Keen 4. Some things are missing like story pages and help wrist, but hey, the gameplay is fully there and that's the most important aspect. The Galaxy Engine is fully there and operational and that is the greatest about this release. It took us a lot of time to make it happens but it is done!
    - There are a lot of other changes, but hey, check the Changelog file in our any package you might want to download.
Here is the link to the release as usual:
http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/download/

Before I forget it. Happy Xmas to all of you and a nice new upcoming year! This release is my present to you!

And yeah, moving on to release v1.2 https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?p=58180#58180
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

By the looks of the preview, this looks absolutely splendid! I will have to download and play! But only after this blizzard lifts. It has a funny way of slowing down ze intehnets.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Aaaannndd finally remembered I still had to download this and give it a try. So I did! High time. I feel like I've been ignoring this great project. The main attraction for me is the multiplayer mode. Super glad to say that I got two of my brothers to cram their hands with mine on the same keyboard and play Keen 1. With the camera following me, it got pretty chaotic for my brothers. Great fun! We managed to beat the level that opens the path to the first teleport to the north. We started playing around in the world map, teleporting back and forth and racing from the southern most part of the map to the most northern. Finally my brother accidentally entered Level 8, Ice City. I was on the other side of the world map at the time. Both my brothers spawned correctly. But I spawned in the ground -- or at least I assumed I did because I couldn't see myself. Yet the level did not end when my brothers died. There was nothing to do but quit the game. Some sort of weird bug, I guess. Fun!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!