System Requirements too high?

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
Danfun64
Grunt

System Requirements too high?

Post by Danfun64 »

Hello. I have tried running commander genius 1.2 on an old win98se laptop but noticed that it runs slow. What are the system requirements? I know you are aiming for modern systems, but must the game be slow on systems almost as old as the game itself?
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I try to reduce the performance as much I can. Nevertheless a lot of that also depends on SDL. Its approach is a bit different so in that case I think you better stick to the DOS-Version. Under W98 you already have DOS, so shouldn't be big deal.

Also what could be that you have wrong drivers or your directX is too old. Check that first
Having fun developing stuff...
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Another good hint is the OpenGL / Software rendering toggle, found within the in-game menus. Playing with more video settings may help, too.
Danfun64
Grunt

Post by Danfun64 »

gerstrong wrote:I think you better stick to the DOS-Version.
The problem with that is that the vorticon levels don't have coop in the original. Don't suggest that I run 0.3.x.x either, as the coop in that version is broken, so I might as well use the dos versions.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Ahh okay, sorry, I get your idea. Hmm, did you try updates of drivers and directX, turn OGL on or off. Does that help?

What Computer do you have?
Danfun64
Grunt

Post by Danfun64 »

Directx and graphics drivers are up to date. OpenGL doesn't really do anything. My old laptop (not my main computer btw) is running a Compaq Armada 1750 with Windows 98 SE (with 98SE2ME [not the shell] and 98MP10 enhancements).

The other reason that I would rather use commander genius is that on the goodbye galaxy engine, the game gives strange visual glitches when moving (as if the screen warps).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Danfun64 wrote:Directx and graphics drivers are up to date. OpenGL doesn't really do anything. My old laptop (not my main computer btw) is running a Compaq Armada 1750 with Windows 98 SE (with 98SE2ME [not the shell] and 98MP10 enhancements).

The other reason that I would rather use commander genius is that on the goodbye galaxy engine, the game gives strange visual glitches when moving (as if the screen warps).
how about turning all the filters off using fullscreen and a resolution of 320x200. Is this still slow?
Danfun64
Grunt

Post by Danfun64 »

gerstrong wrote:how about turning all the filters off using fullscreen and a resolution of 320x200. Is this still slow?
It seems to run best on the laptop with opengl-320x200/320x240-windowed (fullscreen looks glitched for some reason.)

I also find it interesting that (the dos version of) Keen Dreams has no problems with my laptop. The scrolling problem in goodbye galaxy/aliens ate my babysitter is horizontal only for some reason. What should I do?
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Can you send some samples like screenshots and photos in how it looks. I'm reworking the graphics engine, and I might make it faster, which with SDL should be possible.

At least back to 98's I remember SDL had a good performance, so let me help you on this.

The galaxy trilogy in CG pretty much complete, so before encountering the new mission, let me get more performance out of it.