Looking for Testers or Tests -> Release 1.6.5

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Looking for Testers or Tests -> Release 1.6.5

Post by gerstrong »

Hello,

Commander Genius 1.6.5 is coming along as we speak, but as I wasn't happy about the 1.6.1 Release, I want to make it different with that version.

The thing about the 1.6.1 version is that it has a lot of bugs I recently found and I'm not happy with those. Those remaining bugs shouldn't have been in a release, as it says the name.

Now, I will change the strategy a bit and am asking some PCKF members to help me on testing CG.

These people will get credited and have the chance to play CG with the latest features nobody else has ever seen. They will get private versions. Of course those are testing versions, but I will build them for the people so they can give me some feedback. I want people who really will stay active, not as a full time job, but at least observe the development of CG and contribute a bit at constante rate, even if that rate is low, that's ok.

Who is with me? Next release will have higher resolutions, use SDL 2.0 and provide the galaxy Intro Screen. Also more mods are now supported.

I really have been very solo on this project lately. Even if I have put the names of the old team in every release, I have not gotten that much help except from some unknown people that have reported one or two bugs. So I need your help to make the Keen experience every time better...

I'm thinking about breaking the team and form it again. It cannot be that people receive credits for not being actively helping on the project.

So, here we have it. CG has a lot of potential and regardsless of the original sources of Keen are released or not, which I only believe until I see them online without restrictions, I will continue on that. maybe CG will support other DOS games or become an entirely other game, as its core is based on pluggable modules in which our case we use two, vorticon and galaxy. More modules can be developed and more games can be supported. It's architecture, to be honest bases a bit on ScummVM...

So please don't let this die on. Regardless of the situation you can learn a lot besides of testing, gaming and programming or even game developing like I did. We had great people which honestly left us and became great developers so I'm pretty sure every contributor who looks beyond the limits wins here.

Ah, before I forget it. Those who still read this should know it :-). The people joining me will also decide about the project and its direction. That is important, because I want a team of mature people, who are able to discuss and bring an idea forward. So I won't take decisions be myself anymore. I want that, because I believe in true democracy, that simple.

Well, so if you are interested, let me know what system you have, of those CG supports and I will build a version for you. Also tell me about your wishes, as best through email, because I do not always see those PMs and let's talk about CG or anything you want.

Why I need testers, especially, well when I test something I always tend to forget some features to test and the bugs find its way to the release. Other people will test it with another view, another pattern, differently than me and that helps a lot.
Having fun developing stuff...
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

I'd love to help you as a tester. Im able to test 64 bit vista 64 bit win 8 and android distributions, younshould still have my email address,

liebe Grüsse aus Wien :)
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Hagel wrote:I'd love to help you as a tester. Im able to test 64 bit vista 64 bit win 8 and android distributions, younshould still have my email address,

liebe Grüsse aus Wien :)
It is done, you have Email! :-)
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I can play around with it some looking for bugs, but not any real heavy testing (lots of good old school work)
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

MoffD wrote:I can play around with it some looking for bugs, but not any real heavy testing (lots of good old school work)
I sent you a PM
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Go help gerstrong guys, CG is one of the greatest projects we ever had in this community. I know I've been promising for a while now that I'll do something for CG, but this year I can't seem to get around to it. I'll be back doing some thorough testing work for sure, but I doubt I'll manage this year before christmas, just too much life going on now.

So please everyone help a bit in the meantime so gerstrong doesn't have to lose hope.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I'm in roughly the same boat as MoffD, but can help when able. Ubuntu 13.04 AMDx64 (and in coming months will have to go 13.10) and Android (ICS on mid-range, buggy Huawei phone).
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass