'Fixed' keen 3 levelpack

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

'Fixed' keen 3 levelpack

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I remember a while back that someone was making a levelpack of keen 3 that fixes the design flaws in the original. Most notably the inaccessible area in Hal's Kitchen and the impossible exit in the Caves of Oblivion would be reachable without cheating. Is this a thing that's actually finished? I'm about to replay Keen 3 again. I didn't find it on Keen wiki.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

We should make one. I'd like to see a fan-made special edition of all the keen games after the source is released (yeah right) bundled together.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The two infamous levels I mentioned are easy to edit. That levelpack was supposedly doing more edits that I don't even know about (and I can think of some other bullgarg. I got stuck in fort vorticon because one of the stupid balls blocked my only way out and there's no way to suicide).

edit: wow, I got trapped AGAIN in west vortiville just because I didn't have a key! This should have been playtested before it got pushed onto the market! :dead2
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I know someone was working on an entire fixed series, correcting all the game bugs in Keen, but I don't know what happened to them. It took quite a bit of patching for example to fix the Miragia platform glitch.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Re: 'Fixed' keen 3 levelpack

Post by Toothpick »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I remember a while back that someone was making a levelpack of keen 3 that fixes the design flaws in the original.
Is this what you're referring to? Yeah, that was me. That was a few years ago. Glad someone remembers that.

Looking back, I think a lot of the changes I made back then were a little drastic. I remember one major change being the removal of balls and jacks. I got rid of them due to the erratic pattern they bounced in, causing the player to get stuck at times.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

No, it was a mod of all seven Keen games with various things altered, not just Keen 3.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Lass, Duplex's levels IS what I'm referring to! Stop using the imperius curse to control my thoughts :potter

And I see it was released a long time ago in this release thread. Thanks. This should get added to the list of mods and levelpacks in keen wiki. (I would do it, but... nah, too lazy)

If the changes are "make the game easy so everyone will stop complaining" that's not what I had in mind. I want the enemies and hazards to remain as untouched as possible so it's still Battletoads Hard; Merciless and cheap as fucl. The only things that need to be edited are legitimate flaws. Any situation where you're trapped with no means of suicide and the areas that are impossible to access should get fixed and tested, but Cape Vortabella better still be packed with meeps and vortininjas (I think much of the rooftop areas there may be impossible to reach; I've never gotten everything up there).

Most keeners suggest removing the stalagmites and/or stalactites to fix the cave of oblivion, but I think a well-placed ankh is a crafty solution to get you through it and torture you if you waste it :mort

(Hint: don't remove balls and one-way barriers. Add hazards :mortlol)