Operation Stardust: collab K1 mod (team, check your e-mail!)

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

KeenRush wrote:Cool. :) Added you to the list. 16 Keeners now. I'll see if more will join.
I'd like to but I have my own mod to worry about and I barely have time for any work on it :'(
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

One slot left!!! Can I have it!?

(Also my two kopeks: I like the 26-tile idea. I could also see merit in having each designer use a full tileset but limits can make things interesting and push people's creativity often times. SEE: 10 sectors, 1024 and many many many other Doom community megawads)
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Eh, can I participate? I haven't built levels in years and would love to be part of this! :o
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Flaose wrote:Eh, can I participate? I haven't built levels in years and would love to be part of this! :o
Same. :) I haven't done anything mod-related in years, but this project is too cool. Can we mod in extra levels?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yes, I'm so happy you people joined! :D Welcome! Yeah, we'll make it extra levels one way or other. We now have 19 in the team. Gonna be so cool.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I'm super excited for this to get rolling :D Got some ideas in mind already, though since some stuff is undecided (and, of course, not yet designed) so I can only do so much.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

If there's no deadline, this operation for a collaboration keen mod might get dust instead of 6 stars :).
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

As far as story goes, I think Plasma Captain's suggestion is probably the most intuitive (and interesting.) :D It certainly leaves the most room for flexibility, the idea that the spaceships are all built by, or using the technology of, societies and worlds all over the universe that the robots have encountered and, having limited contact with one another, built along very separate lines. I kinda like the idea that the robots don't have much understanding of technology of their own, but that they're really good at assimilating it from others, which would explain why their ships would have nothing in common in terms of design, aesthetic or materials.

So maybe these assimilationist robots have been built, perhaps by Vitacorp like Gridlock suggested as a misguided universe-domination scheme (I already have a logo suggestion designed in this case!), perhaps by some mad scientist as a bizarre experiment, by some evil alien race etc. etc. who have been sent all over the universe to assimilate the cutting-edge technologies of every society they encounter, which the eventual objective of forming the ultimate high-tech robot empire as they conquer planet after planet, building galaxywide fiefdoms and eventually converging on each other with all the best technologies that the universe has to offer! But Keen got wind of this evil plan early on, so no real convergence has happened yet and the robot battleships are all built on very different levels and types of technology.

Or something. Just keeping the spitball rolling (though spitballs don't really roll.)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

StupidBunny wrote:I kinda like the idea that the robots don't have much understanding of technology of their own, but that they're really good at assimilating it from others, which would explain why their ships would have nothing in common in terms of design, aesthetic or materials.
Same here.
StupidBunny wrote:So maybe these assimilationist robots have been built, perhaps by Vitacorp like Gridlock suggested as a misguided universe-domination scheme (I already have a logo suggestion designed in this case!)
Let's see it! I like the idea of incorporating Vitacorp into this.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Also I tried mocking up the logo, as well as a condensed variation on it, in tile form to see how workable it actually is...it's not the most brilliant logo ever designed but it's a start at least. If anybody else has designs or suggestions I'd be curious to see them :) (ALSO feel free, anybody, to modify this one to make it better.)

KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

The two tile version looks pretty cool to me.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

That's not SGA!

It's not SGA!!! :celtic
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Image Image

:P Nonetheless, I may try and whip up an SGA Vitacorp logo (possibly nothing like this primitive Terran one) anyway. I've never designed an SGA logo before so it should be fun.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Does Vitacorp's name ever appear written in SGA in-game? (Can't remember.) I didn't even begin to think the logo ought to have been in SGA (I still don't) because of the V appearing when you collect Vitalin in Keen 5 and in the Omegamatic poster the name is in normal English: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/File:Omegamatic.png
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It appears we must use he universal language, English. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vjQpDXmcvc
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.