Journey to the Centre of Mars Demo

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Hagel
Vortininja

Journey to the Centre of Mars Demo

Post by Hagel »

Hej Guys,

this is a project i´ve been working on some time ago. I didn´t find that much time to work on it recently, cause I started to study medicine. It´s not complete yet and I´d be glad for both good ideas and people willing to help me.

Main idea was to programm a game, inspired by commander keen which offers more freedom to the player (Interactive map? Metroidesque RPG System? Puzzles? Shops? Enemy variations? - I do not know)

Controls - arrow keys to move - shift to jump - space to shoot - alt to pick up objects - ctl to run - down to duck or drop objects - esc to quit

Have fun!

http://www.file-upload.net/download-210 ... o.exe.html
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Interesting. Could use some sound. There are a couple levels I couldn't get through (one where you're under a pyramid with the exit on top, and a big black tower with jumps too high for me to make). On one level I walked to the left at the entrance and fell off the screen and died! :eek
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

See these yellowish/green boxes? Stand on them and press alt to pick them up. You can throw them by releasing the alt Button but I´d recommend you press down to drop them just where you´re standing.
I love the idea of building high towers of boxes (Black Tower) as well as searching one single level for one box (Ice Pyramid).

Those things are quite buggy tough.

Talking 'bout sound - anybody of you guys familiar with sound effects or good background music?

Thanks for your reply
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

VERY nice. I'm also experimenting with Game Maker, but not nearly to this level. Could you please send the source code to me (fleexy@mchsi.com) so I can see how you did all that cool stuff?
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

Anybody else interested in the source code? I thought of providing it, as soon as the project reaches a certain level. Hope it would prevent it from dying as I might not find the time to work on it during my studying time.

It will take me an afternoon to create a clean source code cause it contains a lot of dead ends of unused stuff (ramps, ladders, the second player as seen in the ice pyramid, proper elevator physics a.s.o.)
Furthermore I´d like to write a small introduction to my code to make it easier to modify.

By the way here´s a game I finished 2007. It is not meant to be keenish, but it contains certain elements.

http://www.file-upload.net/download-211 ... s.exe.html

controls:

arrow keys to move, alt to run, up for entering doors, ctl for shield, space to shoot, shift for pogo, down for Jetpack, 1 2 3 choose weapons

You have to find these powerups first before you can use them

Have fun
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

This is very nice, especially the Aardvark. :)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.