Sarah's test mod (still) needs levels

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Sarah's test mod (still) needs levels

Post by Levellass »

Last year(!) I asked for help with levels for my test mod. I had a great response, but no levels. Indeed, only Lemm was able to supply (half) a level. My mod is pretty much finished but is still level-less. Therefore I'm giving up on single emails and such and just bulk-releasing my tiles, for people to make levels for as they wish.

I would have dumped these graphics into the CKCM (Some were in fact made for it, such as tileset 10), but none are of anywhere *near* the quality required. Possibly this is WHY I've not got any level support. So I'm having one last stab at getting people to help me drum up some levels before I abandon this entirely. Make as many levels of any size that you want for any tileset you want.

Bridges and switches can be used, tilesets with empty space can be added to and there is a hint message in every level. I don't know if I should put up a dealine, maybe I'll stop when I get a level for each tileset or when my kid starts attending university, whichever comes first.

The tile graphics, complete with tileinfo can be got here: http://levellord.rewound.net/modtiles.zip

They use the old TLS patch, so there won't be any slopes and such in the mod. If anyone thinks the graphics can be improved enough for the CKCM then they're welcome to take them.

So I beg you PCKFers, Levellass needs levels badly. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... rayerBadly

EDIT: Oh yeah, tileset three is a joke tileset. It commemorates my thiefing of items and occasional tiles from Doomjedi and that game with the puppy rescuing kid. It needs no levels.
Last edited by Levellass on Tue Jan 26, 2010 0:46, edited 1 time in total.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

:o I'm sorry I still haven't finished one level for your mod. I'll hurry up now, promise.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Wow! The graphics looks fantastic! I wonder why people aren't making levels with such a great tilesets?
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Garg, I totally forgot about this. (I'm sorry, I really am!) :o I'll get going right now with tileset one, as that's my favorite. And you shouldn't be so hard on yourself, these tilesets are amazing!

Also, we can't very well place enemies without knowing what they are, or at least their behavior and size.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Id love to participate, but since I'm so out of the loop entirely....

I hate to ask this and look silly, but this is for the Keen: Vorticons, right? Which particular episode?

And what editor would you prefer I use for this to make levels?

PS- I'm really liking Tileset #8....almost to a point where I see tiles that might come of use for my FitF mod...but we'll see.

I've already got something dreamed up for this tileset!
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Yep, this is indeed for Vorticons, episode 1 to be precise. As for an editor, I suggest trying out Mindbelt, which is IMKO the best Vorticons editor: http://www.bipship.com/downloads/mindbelt.zip
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Also, we can't very well place enemies without knowing what they are, or at least their behavior and size.
No worries, I had written a sprite behavior editor to test out here too, but Lemm has rendered that unecessary, so they'll behave pretty much like regular enemies, except there won't be any icecubes (They have a different function.) Most enemies will be as big or smaller than default. I have a few dozen sprites set up and I'll just pick the ones that work with the most levels.

PS- I'm really liking Tileset #8....almost to a point where I see tiles that might come of use for my FitF mod...but we'll see.
It's based on tiles from my dead Keen Dreams mod, since I couldn't find the beta that had the proper ones in it. Feel free to spread it around. Now we can use 900 tiles, I can in theory expand that tileset with the rest of the Keen Dreams stuff.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Levellass wrote:No worries, I had written a sprite behavior editor to test out here too, but Lemm has rendered that unecessary, so they'll behave pretty much like regular enemies, except there won't be any icecubes (They have a different function.) Most enemies will be as big or smaller than default. I have a few dozen sprites set up and I'll just pick the ones that work with the most levels.
So . . . we shouldn't place any enemies in our levels? If that's the case, can we at least place some sprites, thus suggesting the appropriate locations for you?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Place them where you will, if there are any serious problems I'll shift them. Go nuts!
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

I'll make a level for you. Any particular wishes you'd like to see back in you levels?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

* Levels should have Keen in them somewhere.
* A good level should have an exit, somewhere.
* It would be nice if tiles were used for the elvels.

Aside from that I'm not too picky. :p
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

I guess those wishes can be granted :p

How come you run out of inspiration to make levels yourself?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Not inspiration, I'm just terrible at level-making and I take ages. It's the death of all my mods.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Wow, this is awesome. Nice tilesets
Having fun developing stuff...
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Woo old thread revived, so what's becoming of this llass? did you get any other level? Were you satisfied with mine?
Image You crack me up little buddy!