Keen 4 - Revenge of the Shadowlands

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Keen 4 - Revenge of the Shadowlands

Post by JackDaniels »

Even though I have to write a decent story of how Keen ends up in Shadowlands again, I'm happy to announce that there's a new CK4 levelpack coming. After reading Ceilick's tutorial of Keen:Next (which was a really great one), I started level editing today. It's the first time I'm editing Galaxy so I can't promise everything will work out perfectly the first time.

I finished the Border Village already. A screenshot of the beginning of this level can be found here:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1324/26143608.png

Tomorrow I'll upload a small video on youtube so you all can view a bit more of this level. If I take a screenshot of CK running at full screen, it blacks out unfortunately.

I'll keep you guys updated. Tips, suggestions and things you'd like to see back in a CK4 levelset are always welcome.

:dopefish
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Sounds like great! Link the video if u are done. :D
Yeah, piece of cake!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I wish u good luck. I hope you'll finish it!
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

The house looks like it's slightly over the edge of the hill... think you could move it to the left, or the slope to the right?
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

Deltamatic wrote:The house looks like it's slightly over the edge of the hill... think you could move it to the left, or the slope to the right?
I see what you mean, didn't notice it so far. Thanks ;)
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

You used the same tile too much for the ground below the platforms. Study the original Keen levels to see how they laid out those tiles.

Actually, from my experience in modding Keen 4, I've found it's best to study all the levels...It really helps when you're modding to retain a very Keen-ish feel, while introducing ideas of your own.

But I digress..It looks pretty good for your first steps in Keen: Galaxy modding!
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Cool. Good luck. Will your levels have the same themes the original levels have? (Such as the pyramid levels being pyramids, etc.)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

You used the same tile too much for the ground below the platforms. Study the original Keen levels to see how they laid out those tiles.
Thanks for the advice. I had no idea they used different tiles for that.
Cool. Good luck. Will your levels have the same themes the original levels have? (Such as the pyramid levels being pyramids, etc.)
Most likely.

I've uploaded the first part of this level. There are still a few faults in it.
-As you can see, the keygem holder deletes the original tile. If anyone knows how to fix that, let me know.
-The background tiles (the forest) has only 12 tiles high. I placed a wall above these tiles, but it doesn't look great. Does anyone have an advice for this? If I place another forest above this forest, it looks ridiculous.

I still have to fix the ground tiles, I'm aware of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpmjbw2axZw
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Since the keygem holder is a foreground tile, you can place an upper ground background tile behind it, and both will show up fine.

As for the tree background, I recommend looking at how it's used in the original levels, i.e. it has a different background pattern beneath/above it.

This looks neat so far. Good luck!
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Unless you start editing the tileset, you'll have to rearrange your level for it to look right with background you are using. The top of the background will be the highest point in the level

EDIT:
Just noticed this when I re-watched your video:
On the left end of all the platforms, you're missing the tile that "completes" the platforms and makes the edge stand out much better. It's only 3-4 pixels.

Also, it seems Keen "falls" when he walks through the doors. Have the doors point to one grid space below where they are, and it'll be look fine.

PS- Editing Keen 4/5/6 is a learning process. You learn a little more each day, and you get better all the time. Don't be surprised if you end up erasing the level you made and replacing it with something that's even better -- I've done this numerous times before.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

Fixed them. The only thing that has not been done is editing the ground under Keen. I used different tiles for it, but it doesn't look as good as it does in the real episodes. But that'll be something for later.

Border Village and Slug Village are done now. At this moment I'm working on Hillville. Screenshots of all levels so far will be posted monday or tuesday.
Eddie Blake
Grunt

Post by Eddie Blake »

How goes the work on the mod?
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

I wouldn't mind finding out either, but JD's been gone for quite some time now...
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It's in tumbleweed territory now.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Last thing I heard from Mister Daniels is that it didn't go all that well, and he lost interest in it a bit, but lets hope his interest comes back soon!
Image You crack me up little buddy!