Commander Keen CD

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Commander Keen CD

Post by Mobiethian »

Here's something that might spark things up a bit. Here it goes - As I continue to contribute as many graphics as I can to B.O.T.B., well already have, I keep wondering what i'm going to do next when it's done and released, in a Keen perspective. Because I don't want it to stop there! :) Some may already have seen my active "Sonic Mobius" project, if not, it is pretty good. I still press on to get the full game done, but at the least, the actual demo will be entered into the Sonic Amateur Gaming Expo this summer (More into at Sonic Retro forums). When that's done, I want to put my full focus on Keen while I break from total Sonic exhaustion.

So that being said, I am working with Multimedia Fusion 2, and getting it down pretty good these past few years. My intention is to get it ALL down. I need to take it a step further and learn more about the actual coding, and stuff like that. And I decided that I am going to use C.K. as my guide, as I build a whole new gaming engine all on my own as a learning experience.

GAME INFO: Commander Keen CD, an upscale Keen game, similar to the advancement that Sonic made in Sonic CD, I plan for this to be Keen's special game in a perspective that he would have appeared on the Sega CD or Windows PC (1993 - 1995 time period)

- Bumping it up to a 32 color palette (from the usual 16)
- CD quality music, (2 musicians in mind)
- Probably 20 or more levels
- Possible smoother screen scrolling
- Longer animation frames

The engine work will be from scratch, using Keen's original sprites. Since there will be a larger color choice, it is currently undetermined if the sprites will include added color or not. Maybe it will be discussed here. :p I will also be creating art using a preferred tool of choice, GraphicsGale.

Lots of ideas needed and we have lots of time, ALL is welcome to participate which = Name in credits. My Sonic game demo won't be debuting until probably June or July, which surely B.O.T.B. will be released way before then (hopefully!). So that's plenty of time to generate ideas and plan.

Storyline is not developed yet, and is open for discussion. Added human characters is definitly a plus.

I want this to be a fun experience, especially to develop a MMF Keen engine that we all could use. And who wouldn't want to see a Keen like this?
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

So . . . you're 'TrueDude' over at K:M?

Re MMF: This could work, but I heartily suggest that you create the basic actions (walking, jumping, pogoing) from scratch, as IIRK the defaults aren't exactly stellar. Game Maker could be another viable option, as that's what R.O.C.K was made with.

Storyline: Keeping it simple would probably be best. Add too many characters, and the game will start to lose its Keenishness. Besides characters, it's probably best to make the objectives known at the beginning without adding (many) new ones in the middle of the game.

'(2 musicians in mind)' - Hmm, I wonder who these could be. :crazy

Good luck, I have a feeling this will turn out nicely as long as you take your time.
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Thanks CK Guy. My plan is to make this good. I'm not familliar with "TrueDude", i've always been known as 'Mobiethian". :)

The musicians are my own local ones who composed tunes for mine and their projects, i'll get some clips for you eventually as this is progressing.

As for storyline and characters, I am hoping the community can pitch in for ideas to help construct one. However, the rest of the work is going to take time, art and coding by me unless someone wants to help out, not asking though. I don't want to rush it because this has to be good.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Wow, that's quite a coincidence - http://keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?p=13964

And haha, I was completely wrong about the musicians - I was sure you were referring to our resident Keen musicians (_mr_m_ and ZidaneA)

Edit: I originally read that first post as saying you were finishing up a Keen-related Sonic project. Not quite the coincidence I thought it was.
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

CK Guy wrote:Wow, that's quite a coincidence - http://keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?p=13964

And haha, I was completely wrong about the musicians - I was sure you were referring to our resident Keen musicians (_mr_m_ and ZidaneA)

Edit: I originally read that first post as saying you were finishing up a Keen-related Sonic project. Not quite the coincidence I thought it was.
Woah! That's a mighty wicked coincidence!

In general, i'm a known level artist on the Sonic Retro forums, and currently working on a Sonic project, an ongoing on for a while.

Interesting to see that Sonic has been tied into Keen by someone at least! (with the exception of my avatar) :crazy

EDIT: In reply to the previous post: It's totally ironic to see that, in my point of view especially.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

CK Guy wrote:And haha, I was completely wrong about the musicians - I was sure you were referring to our resident Keen musicians (_mr_m_ and ZidaneA)
I feel left out. :(

This plan sounds interesting. I'm curious to see what comes out of it!
Wow look at me I'm lurking
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

DaVince wrote:I feel left out.
:o Sorry about that, I truly am!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

As I said on messenger, sounds cool :)

You probably won't find a shortage of story ideas around here. As far as more characters goes, the keeniverse has a few characters to choose from: princess lyndsey, oracle janitor, council page, molly, keen's parents & siblings. Theres also a few fan characters from other mods and things to choose from.

Would help, but yeah, busy with my own project at the moment and not really capable of doing anything beyod the 16 color pallete.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

*hem hem*

Squueeeee!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Sounds great. On the other hand it sounds like a project that will be released 2068, but I'll be happy to help with graphics once I'm done with my current Keen projects.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

tulip wrote:Sounds great. On the other hand it sounds like a project that will be released 2068, but I'll be happy to help with graphics once I'm done with my current Keen projects.
LOL yeah, that would be the reality, wouldn't it. :P Sure! Additional graphics help is always a plus.

As Ceilick said, there's some characters to choose from already. That's great if we could do more with them. But this may seem a little out of the Keen world as we know it, but I was thinking something along the lines of a second playable character. Choose one or the other to play in the game, mind you. Hopefully something like this won't take away any Keen feel, as the "yet to be determined" character will probably be Keen-like.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

The other character could be Keen's little sister, or Spot. (Spot = tiny jumps, immune to hazards.)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

That sounds like a good idea (we were thinking about the same problem for CommanderGenius multiplayer).

Maybe some monsters will run away from Billy's sister, as they fear she will try to pet them.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Sonic CD didn't have tails in it. Neither does Sonic 4. How can they possibly expect me to want to play an 'upscale' sonic game without tails? :no

... I'll probably try to beat sonic CD, someday...
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

There probably won't be much trying involved, as Sonic CD really is a cakewalk compared to Sonic 2 or 3.