Keen Gets Sucked into the Web

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Keen Gets Sucked into the Web

Post by thehackercat »

I've decided to put Mars Kingdoms on hold.. probably permanently. The fact that most of you probably won't know what Mars Kingdoms is speaks for itself.. :bloody

AAAAAnyway.. I've decided to start a new mod. A Galaxy one. And I've been toying with plotline ideas; one of my good (somewhat cheesy) ones was this: Keen somehow gets stuck in THE INTERWEBZ. :dopefish

He could "jack-in" to the Web as part of one of his Keenish experiments, he could be FORCED in by Mort, or some kind of accident could happen and land him in the middle of cyberspace. But however he GETS there, the main point is that I want to have him find the PCKF. And for that, I need y'all's help. Tilesets, storyline help, and such. :dopekeen

I hope I'm not askin' too much of y'all.
Last edited by thehackercat on Thu Feb 18, 2010 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

So just how far along is Mars Kingdoms exactly? This was actually looking fairly decent for a first-time mod last time I checked it out.

Anyway, for tiles you could always just take screenshots of this site and make them Keen-friendly if you don't feel like making completely new graphics. At least the logo is already pretty much done.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

"Wait a sec... who are you people?"
"This is called the Public Commander Keen Forum, or PCKF for short!"
"What is this, I don't even--"
"This is your official dedicated fanbase."

"So here's some of the members. You've got SynDuo,"
"hey"
"Levellass,"
"OMG CHEESEBURGERS"
"DSL,"
"I think I broke my pogo stick :("
"BlueGasMask"
"OH crap! OH crap OH crap! Running, running, running!"
"and Mort."
"hi there!"
"MOOOOOOOOOOOOORT!?"
"Woah, calm down!"

The first things I thought of when thinking "Keen meets PCKF".

I am such a noob. :crazy
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

This is an awesome idea, and also a very good way to parodise the forum and its inhabitants.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

It would be funny to see the main page as the background of the level, and subforums/topic titles could be the tiles :crazy

Yeah, go for it. It's an excellent idea :)
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Would you care to release Mars Kingdoms beta in it's latest state? That way it might be finished someday, maybe by another Keener here.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

We need more Keen fetishism!
ImageMay the Well Of Wishes grant you a fortunate new year!
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

It would be great to see another Galaxy mod. I may be able to throw a few tiles your way when my own work slows down. Anyway, cool idea!
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

tulip wrote:Would you care to release Mars Kingdoms beta in it's latest state? That way it might be finished someday, maybe by another Keener here.
Well.. :o There was a massive crash at my house that involved the loss of most of my levels. I had backup copies saved to another drive, but.. a lot will be lost. Maybe I will...
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

it wouldn't make sense if it takes place in 1990-1991 (pre-public world wide web).
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

So time travel, or an older Keen, would be involved. (Maybe it's the PCKF that travels back in time to 1992?)
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:it wouldn't make sense if it takes place in 1990-1991 (pre-public world wide web).
SSSHHH!!

NO really, what I'm planning is for him to attempt to build a device that will allow him to travel through phone lines.. when he gets sucked into a BBS. :crazy

Besides, this is Keen; let's not be too realistic! :dopekeen
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Oooohh... I bumped mah thread. :dead2

Anyway, I was going to ask y'all something. I've decided that this will be a Keen5 mod. As I've unpacked the graphics with Modkeen, I realize that it's a lot more complicated than Vorticons (duh). What I need from y'all is this: What level editors do you use? I realize TED5 is the one iD used, but I've also heard some pretty bad reviews. I like how TPT looks, but I also like Keen:Maps. Input, please?

(P.S.. I can't get TED5 to work anyway. I can't get it to recognize graphics files.) :dopefish
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Weelllll...
I've never been able to get TED5 to work well, and it's not terribly intuitive. TPT I haven't used much, but it's supposed to be quite good. I prefer Keen:Next (or Keen:Maps, same thing).
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

TED5 is my editor of choice right now. It's not actually that hard to get the hang of. TPT3 is...functional but it doesn't have enough features.

And don't get me started on Keen:Next, I can't stand that thing. I mean, you can't even pick tiles with right-mouse-click and the way it handles layers really bothers me. If you really feel like checking it out, there's a tutorial by Ceilick floating around somewhere in 'Other Keen Stuff'.