Commander Keen in: Surfing the Galactic Web

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Commander Keen in: Surfing the Galactic Web

Post by thehackercat »

This is a Keen5 mod underway by yours truly, here-fore referred to as "Keenweb".

Basically, Keen creates another one of his trademark ground-breaking inventions: the Electrochemical-to-electromagnetic Data Compression and Transmission Chamber. (Feel free to suggest a new name after I tell you what it does.)

This device allows Keen to convert any object (or person) into an electrical pattern, which is compressed and beamed into space to be decompressed and reconstructed at an identical chamber. Based on technology and software he "borrowed" from the teleporters he found on the Omegamatic, it is intended for quick teleportations between common Keenish travel sites (such as Mars, Gnosticus IV, Vorticon VI, the Burger King down the street, and so on).

What happens: After planting the devices with his trusty Bean-with-Bacon megarocket, Keen powers up the machine and sets the control knob to "human". After aiming it at Gnosticus IV, he pushes some final buttons and dabbles some final switches before stepping inside. But - OH NO! Just as he is transferred to binary data and beamed out of Earth's atmosphere, the Keen-Beam is bounced off of a communications satellite and out into the void!! With no targets in that direction, it seems little Billy is doomed... until the beam he's riding is absorbed by an antenna on an alien space station...

Keen awakes with his trusty Neural Stunner, Pogo Stick, and Packers helmet. Looking down, he notices that he is in human form again! He draws on his 314-IQ intelligence and surmises that he must have not been original in his idea for the EDCTC, and there is a galaxy full of similar alien devices, all bound together in a single network!

The network will be the world map, complete with arcs of energy and so on. The map will take Keen on a faster-than-light journey as he hops between solar systems in an attempt to get home.

Comments? Reviews? Brutally mean criticism? Express it here! (Although I was kidding about that last one) :o
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Making a 2nd topic with no pics is a let down >:
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Will there be alien versions of popular websites? Personifications of internet forces?

Is Anonymous the final boss of the internet?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

You know you can rename topics you made. I mean why make a new topic every four posts, just because you thought of a different name...
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Is Anonymous the final boss of the internet?
Nah, that would be Totalitarian Government Machine, TGM :crazy
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

All right, this will be the final thread for KeenWeb. (Although that name probably will be changed more, KeenWeb is just a moniker I use because it's short)

I need to recruit a crew for this. Namely, people to handle music (Probably either Mr. M or Z; I am a composer as well, but I don't know what to use for Adlib tracks), tilesets, and help with patching. Because THIS kid needs as much help as possible in that area. :crazy

So to sum up, there are 3-4 jobs open, and there could be many working on the same job.

ALSO: I'm going to be working on it too, I just need HELP. Galaxy modding is a big endeavour, as you all know. :dopekeen
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Making a 2nd topic with no pics is a let down >:
Patience. The secret of the long life.
Yeah, piece of cake!
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

thehackercat wrote:(Probably either Mr. M or Z; I am a composer as well, but I don't know what to use for Adlib tracks)
Pretty sure most of the composers here just make midis and convert to imf once the songs are ready for the game. (And don't forget about other good composers, like DaVince)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Things I am good at:

* Patching

Things I can do.

* Tiles, sprites and artwork

Things I should not be allowed within 500 miles of:

* Everything else

As for the EDCTC, shouldn't that be the ECEMDCTC? Other names I can think of ATM are

* DIGDED (DIGitizer-DEDigitizer, named the same way as the MODEM.)
* MIID (Matter/Information Interconversion Device)
* OTIMT (Object Teleportation by Inormation\Matter Transformation, named the same way as the LASER.)

Patience. The secret of the long life.
I don't know why, but that's the funniest thing I've read all day.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

I sure hope y'all are watching this topic, otherwise I'm going to have to hunt you down the long way. >:

So here's my first publish-able version of the mod: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5492365/Keenweb.zip

The good thing is, that link should never expire because it's a Dropbox destination. I'll just change the files INSIDE the zip, and repost the link just to make sure. We'll see though, I have a bad reputation with Keen modding already; someone had to tell me to use %maphead.. :lol

Here's the thing, though: I haven't done any new levels. I'm GOING to do levels, but somebody else is doing a tileset, so I'm not sure... Anyway, it's all I've got so far, and I WILL be updating it. That link should always be valid. Be sure to tell me if it ain't! :dopekeen

-Ray, aka thehackercat
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

VERY nice title screen, love it. The ampton looks really polished as well.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the spirogrip replacement, hope that's just a rough concept.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

The spirogrip replacement is history now, I've replaced it with the original character sprites and the .zip file up there now mirrors this change.
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

indeed a nice title screen.

what is the ampton meant to be? a virus? a nanobot? a virus nanobot?
nothing usefull here
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Deltamatic wrote:Will there be alien versions of popular websites?
Vor-Chan! :eek
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Blooger?