Keen Episode 3 1/4: The Volticons Attack! <ABANDONED>

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

You can't get stuck in there. The yorps are invulnerable, so you can stun them, but not kill them. So if you get frozen, the yorps will push you and you will unfreeze after a while. It's pretty simple. :) I'm now working on the yorp replacement. Thanks for comments, guys! And I did not tweak it, I just placed two ice down sprites, because they can't be shot from the middle of the cannon, only from the sides and that would look weird with just one icecube. I was planning to use another diagonal ice cannon on the floating platforms to endanger you, but it was way 2 hard, so I deleted it. :p
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Good to hear you are thoroughly playtesting. If you keep that up I'm sure it'll be a great mod.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

The yorp replacement is done, I'm working on the Garg. I'm planning to make it a scary one. 8)
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

The garg replacement is done now. Expect a video showing the first level with these new enemies. :) I'll record immediately when I fix the font glitch. That's because I started exporting graphics instead of importing by accident, and since I cancelled it, half of the text doesn't work. :o
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

HERE is the new vid. Sorry for having you to download it, but I couldn't upload it to youtube. Please tell me your opinions - I can improve the mod only if you do! If someone wants to download a demo of the mod, just PM me. I probably won't post it here, because if I did, people who wanted surprise won't get it.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Cool, is this really supposed to take place on mars or is it just using a placeholder map for now? Is there any way to get the teddy bears trapped in ice? I found it curious that the volticon turned into a regular vorticon when it died, does this imply some unnatural transfusion going on? (Some new app added to the mindbelt perhaps?)

Are any/all of the old enemies going to have replacements or are the old ones shown (pat pat, robots) really going to stay as they are?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Yeah, it will be on mars. Download the story to see why. The tankbot will definitely have a replacement, and the butler bot probably too. But I'm curious with the pat pat. I really don't know what to use instead of it. I'm open to suggestions on the pat pat replacement. :) Well, the Shikadi enslaved the Vorticons again (they have mindbelts, the story can tell you where did they get 'em) and they helped each other to blow up Gnosticus IV. So Keen must go to Mars and find some items to destroy the spaceship that has to destroy Gnosticus. The Volticons are, in fact, ordinary Vorticons, but Shikadi granted them the power to turn into energy. When a Volticon dies, he can't use that power any more, so he turns into a classic mindbelted Vorticon.
The enemies' names:
The gray metal yorp replacement is Meball. (metal/ball)
The blue hungry garg replacement is Gobblet. (gobble)
How do you like the enemies?
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Video is now on YouTube. Nospike couldn't upload the video,but I asked him for upload,and he said,that'd be great.
Well here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVT1wCa63_k
Yeah, piece of cake!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Thanks again, Szemi. I'll continue working. Currently I need more levels.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Hey, nice enemies. I've got one suggestion for the Gobblet: The space between his teeth is white right now. You should change that, either (if you want to keep it conventional) to black, with maybe a little tongue showing, or (if you want to do something weird, and alien) I suggest you put an eye in there between those teeth :)
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Thanks, I noticed it was kind of weird, like a glitch when he was walking around. I'll fix it. :)
And here's one of my über-crazy ideas: How about making some platforms Keen: Galaxy like? We never saw Mars from this perspective. It would be interesting, I think.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I would devise against it, for your first mod anyway, because the handling of those tilted view platforms is rather complicated. Each platform that appears to be single tiled is pieced together from at least 2 to 4 background and blocking tiles.

A little easier would be to make platforms that are only seen slightly from the top, but not from the side, like lately in Keen Xmas, or even more fitting for the Vorticons engine, like in Spleen's Retrosis. You might also want to have a look at Xkykeen 2 aka Keen Null for graphical ideas of that kind.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

That's exactly what I was thinking - not to make them visible from sides, but only the top.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

The ice ones are finished! Woah! They look MUCH better than I expected. Here you go. Sorry, I couldn't upload it to Youtube again. :bloody
Download it, you'll see what awaits you. If you like it, I'll work on the frozen slippery ones (yes, these giant ice cubes will probably be in 3D! :) ) and finally on the red ground ones. I'm open to all suggestions and will improve the mod if you tell me what you like/don't like. Enjoy! ;)
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

The link doesn't work :confused
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."