Make something fun with Keen

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Make something fun with Keen

Post by Roobar »

Alright. I'm not making mods or games, but recently I've made some Keen images for fun. So I thought others may have as well or will made. This might be a contest or just a place where you can share some images you've made with CK just for fun.

>>

This was inspired by Commander Genius Galaxy`s new menu that was shown. I just thought what would be like if Windows 7 was on Keen's wrist watch.

Not many fans of Win7 here, but there is room for more experiments :).

This came to my mind when I was browsing for HD Keen images.

I didn't really found some real HD Keen images, neither some good looking HD screenshots of other 2.5 platform games to mess with, but I found this Lego Keen.

The original image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2041/231 ... 6c061e.jpg

What will happen if Bionic Commando meets Commander Keen? Or what if Capcom was making Bionic Commando in Commander Keen 6 universe :). This image is also inspired by the Keen HD idea. Originally, I was planning to place Keen`s head on the Bionic Commando guy.

The original Keen image: http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f73/Mehfuz/ck6.jpg

Bionic Commando Rearmed guy: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/ ... es.490.jpg

Keen 9 insult edition:

Last edited by Roobar on Sat Feb 05, 2011 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

These are amazing :D I love them...especially the wrist computer booting on Windows 7. I look forward to seeing more... :)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

A nice idea indeed. I'll make something once I can. I like the wrist watch one the best too (FYCKed it, too).
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Commander Keen multiplayer fun!

I don't know why, but I think that for some reason, this forum makes the images a little blurred. If it's blurred, try to view it in a new tab. This image is fine.

My brief vision of Keen multiplayer:

Modes:

- Keen DM mode 1: Keen can take up to 3 or 5 hits before get killed (customizable)
- Keen DM mode 2: Keen can take only one hit before get kiied (instant kill)

Other sub-modes that can use either DM 1 or 2 modes:
- Team DM
- Last Keen Standing
- Capture The Molly (Capture Lindsay)

Other specifications:

- players can enter or exit at anytime
- death and time limits are customizable by the server host; whoever got most kills wins
- up to 32 players per level
- choose different colors for you shirt (jeans, helmet)
- server host decides wherever it will use only the classic neural stunner or different weapons (only in DM 2 mode) where they are more stronger. These weapons will shoot with all the enemy ammo we are familiar from from Keen 4-6.
- world map can be used as a server list - players can walk around, talk to each other and enter levels whichever they want whenever they want. When a player enters a level, a list of currently hosted servers will show from which the player will choose one depending on his desire.
Last edited by Roobar on Wed Jun 02, 2010 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I see...

1 cyan.
2 green.
2 red.
2 yellow.
...and 8 pink.
Run out of colors? :crazy
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Heh. There can be added some other colors, but that's not that important. It's just for the idea.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

wiivn wrote:Commander Keen multiplayer fun!

My brief vision of Keen multiplayer:

Modes:

- Keen DM mode 1: Keen can take up to 3 or 5 hits before get killed (customizable)
- Keen DM mode 2: Keen can take only one hit before get kiied (instant kill)

Other sub-modes that can use either DM 1 or 2 modes:
- Team DM
- Last Keen Standing
- Capture The Molly (Capture Lindsay)
ok CG team, let's see it happen!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Some good ideas indeed. Capture The Molly/Lindsey idea is pretty funny. :lol It would be amazing to play something that'd look like the picture, with that screen size. Maybe an arrow above your head pointing your player.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Awesome edit, wiivn! Really like your ideas for a multiplayer keen. If only it were real :drool

Here's some weapon variations that might be used in such a game:

Turret Gun: heavy cannon
Robo Red Blaster: wide and fast spray of shots
Bloog Club: close combat, but also used to stun players on teh ground at a certain distance
Neural Stunner:
Vorticon Raygun:
Remote Controled Shikadi Mine: You're vulnerable standing still but you can send that mine anywhere
Vorticon Hyperpistol:
Vorticon pistol:
FlowerPower/Boobus Bombs: grenades?
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

These are all great ideas, I so want to see this happen
Lunick is Here
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Haha, Ceilick, those sprites look like they are from an action-based side-scrolling game more than anything. Duke Nukem/Bio Menace type.

A multiplayer feature in a Keen game would actually require tactics, not just random run & shoot, because every player would die from one shot :crazy Unless of course, there would be several modes like one where the players have a force shield around them (Ankh).
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Grimson wrote:A multiplayer feature in a Keen game would actually require tactics, not just random run & shoot, because every player would die from one shot
wiivn wrote:- Keen DM mode 1: Keen can take up to 3 or 5 hits before get killed (customizable)
Not as I read it :dopekeen And Keen probably can't use his pogo if he's haulling around the big guns, so there'd a bit of a trade off there.

In addition to Ankh, keen could have some spiffy dodge/duck moves. Finally a practical purpose for this sprite Image am I right?
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Ceilick wrote:Image
NO! That would be SO AWESOME.

A multiplayer Keen is totally something I would get my hands into, I *REALLY* want to see this done.

Does anyone have any serious plans or desire to do this? I want to (I've wanted to for a while) but I don't know where to start.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

hmm, to that I would add:

Neural Stunner: knocks keen down, like being hit by a Flected, well, stunner :crazy
Pistol: normal default sort of run and gun weapon
Hyper Pistol: automatic version of pistol (Just hold down fire button)
Raygun: like pistol, but higher projectile speed, but maybe longer lag between shots
Boobus Bombs: proximity mines

If this thing was made I think it would be cool to have it use existing galaxy data formats and use the existing code for the sprite/keen behaviours (i.e. reverse the actual code for game mechanics/sprite behaviours) so it has the exact galaxy feel (and maybe throw in some extra stuff). But it would probably be best if it were built using allegro/sdl or whatever the kids use these days.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I am not on original lass.

What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.