MP Keen - Let's do it

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Music format has to be .ogg atm, but I see no problem making music in wav or mp3 and converting them.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Keypress -> Playstructure -> Action
It is a sort of Message array which is read by the game engine itself.
That sounds like exactly what I'm describing above.
eah, that sounds a bit complex. I'm not an expert with that, so sorry, I can't say much about
I can do that part, and it shouldn't interfere with the rest of development, especially given a pre-existing message system.
I imagine, that it has to check sync of some variables. That could be difficult.
This is one of the fundamental details I would have to tackle when designing the network system.

How integrated with the playstructure are the parts of the game not directly controlled by the player? Say a garg entity generates a random number to decide whether it will charge, is its state immediately set to charging, or is a message sent to playstructure which then affects the entity?

If it's the latter, a lot of the groundwork is already in place. The part of the networking system which sends commands to the server and interprets the replies would be funneled through the playstructure.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Just going on aesthetics - should (and I know this may involve extra coding and will be a ong way down the track - AFTER the engine is rebuilt etc. etc.) there be different coloured raygun shots if there are 3+ players?

Spleen, that rewrite strikes me as a find and replace activity - easily automated. I Know that what u put up there is a simplified version for us programming noobs/users of Visual BASIC like myself, but at least find and replace could fins 5 similar instances and save you a little time?
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I think there shouldn't be different raygun shot colours for different players, especially not if we include the different weapons like vort railgun and vort hyperpistol which basically have the same shot in different colours
Image You crack me up little buddy!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Perhaps someone could just build a Quake mod?
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

DHeadshot wrote:Perhaps someone could just build a Quake mod?
Lol, that wouldn't really be what people are looking for.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

tulip wrote:Music format has to be .ogg atm, but I see no problem making music in wav or mp3 and converting them.
Well that's all well and good since I'm using FL Studio 8 XXL and the FL Studio 9 Demo.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

tulip wrote:Music format has to be .ogg atm, but I see no problem making music in wav or mp3 and converting them.
Preferabbly from wav, as converting from mp3 to ogg would introduce a double quality loss - once in encoding the mp3, and once in encoding the ogg.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

DaVince wrote:
Preferabbly from wav, as converting from mp3 to ogg would introduce a double quality loss - once in encoding the mp3, and once in encoding the ogg.
why convert when you can create? i'll just make them in ogg format.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

(sorry for the dp)

by the way, if there is any easy way to make new sprites I'd be glad to help out.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

We could have a shadowlands RTS... Licks vs Slugs! :)
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

RoboBlue wrote:We could have a shadowlands RTS... Licks vs Slugs! :)
Not with the Keen engine, but that probably wouldn't be too hard to pull of with Warcraft 3. Who wants to make a Commander Keen based custom Warcraft 3 map?

Edit: Or even better, given the pending release of Starcraft 2, someone could make it in there when that comes out. It will be more powerful than Warcraft 3 is.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

pizza2004 wrote:Not with the Keen engine, but that probably wouldn't be too hard to pull of with Warcraft 3. Who wants to make a Commander Keen based custom Warcraft 3 map?
That does give me an interesting idea, actually. Would it be possible to modify the map level in keen 6 to be like a game? Maybe keen could dodge the satellite sprite or something.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

RoboBlue wrote:
pizza2004 wrote:Not with the Keen engine, but that probably wouldn't be too hard to pull of with Warcraft 3. Who wants to make a Commander Keen based custom Warcraft 3 map?
That does give me an interesting idea, actually. Would it be possible to modify the map level in keen 6 to be like a game? Maybe keen could dodge the satellite sprite or something.
It would be possible for him to die too, seeing that walking off the edge results in death. The only thing then is that you'll need a new death animation.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

BlueGasMask wrote:
RoboBlue wrote:
It would be possible for him to die too, seeing that walking off the edge results in death. The only thing then is that you'll need a new death animation.
And where would the respawn point be? The start or the last finished level?
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."