Let's play Daniel's Keen Mod

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Let's play Daniel's Keen Mod

Post by Fleexy »

You may or may not have heard of this mod. It's downloadable from the KeenWiki. Here we go with the titlescreen:

Completely ripped from Keen 1. The only change is the badly shrunk 'Keen doll'. Let's begin.
We have no new map tiles. Red land goes over white background sloppily. Mountains oddly cut off when near land. So far it's not too bad, just ripped, but we'll see next time.
Last edited by Fleexy on Tue Aug 03, 2010 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Is this 'play a keen mod/fangame and review it' going to be a new fad here? I might try it sometime (actually, I have an awesome one in mind :dopefish )
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

I remember this mod! It had like... maybe 8 changes. It was awful. :dead

Good review though! :D
Last edited by Bonevelous on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:17, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

I don't like the harsh attitude of the Let's Play so far. Sure, there's no new graphics, and there's a few mistakes with the placement of the tiles in the redesigned map level, but what exactly so far has qualified this for "It just got worse" status?

Either post videos of you playing, or post screenshots of the levels with commentary, but don't poo-poo the mod based on the starting map screen. Jeez.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I agree with Xky. Maybe the levelpack/mod does actually get worse, I don't really know, but so far it hasn't. A little cutoff isn't the end of the world. :p
It seems like you're just trying to outdo Bonev with your LP. I'm fine with a few of these types of threads, but not if it's gonna lead to a trend of bashing every fangame for no reason.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Just remember - it's okay if a game is good. Don't go looking for every small thing that can be considered poor design. Only the most glaringly awful decisions deserve such ridicule.

So far the game looks like a pretty generic mediochre levelpack to me. (I got red underline on 'mediochre.' How do you spell it? :o )
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:(I got red underline on 'mediochre.' How do you spell it? :o )
Without an h. :p
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

Xky does have a good point, now that he mentions it, but I think you're doing a pretty good job for someone who's stating out.
Genius314 wrote:I'm fine with a few of these types of threads, but not if it's gonna lead to a trend of bashing every fangame for no reason.
I think for my next LP I'll do a good fan game, and then after that I'll do a bad one next.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:So far the game looks like a pretty generic mediochre levelpack to me. (I got red underline on 'mediochre.' How do you spell it? :o )
It's not much of a mod at all. :tired But the good news means that it's not too bad.
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Genius314 wrote:A little cutoff isn't the end of the world. :p
It could be an attempt at a poorly rendered cutting?

I also agree with Xky - to be honest, as long as it's fun to play I couldn't give a stuff about tile sets and opening graphics!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Sorry. I played this whole mod before, so I know. I'll post some screenshots of levels soon.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I enter level 1.

At least I don't need to worry about ammo. Looks like I get a key out of the deal too. Why is there a clone of me about to fall in the fire? I fall down through the clean-cut pink platform to get the yellow key and walk to the right. We have new graphics! A cookie!

I grab the easy blue key. I then open the yellow door (supported by another clean-cut platform) and use my hippie-colored pogo stick to go up.

I'll leave the lights on, thank you. Cool, more ammo!

That Garg had yellow teeth. Looks like it forgot to brush. I then get out the tall exit.

VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I notice the doors are a little fucled up, with an extra SGA letter on the bottom. They're not supposed to be like that, right? :confused
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Correct.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Next!

He actually made a decent map. Except for that white part. Lets go in the blue level.

Clean cuts are always nice. I thought this wasn't an ice level.

This looks a lot like Keen 1 level 1. Spot has seen better days. Can you :yorp the difference in the Ice Cannon?

Nice clean cuts.

I already have plenty of ammo. Better watch out for Gargs falling through cut blocks!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Blue yorps and yellow teeth? I wonder what the creator was thinking...
Wow look at me I'm lurking