Your Favorite Keen Mods!

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Your Favorite Keen Mods!

Post by Paramultart »

My top 3 favorite Keen mods would probably have to be Commander Keen in Halloween Horrors, the UIT series, and Zoltan's Revenge.

How about you? :pumpkeen
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Of those that I have played, I can't really go past Ceilick's "The Universe is Toast" replacement-for-the-cancelled-trilogy series. I can't wait for the final installment! :drool
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Keen 7-9, the last one is so awesome that if you're going to play it at any time in the future, its effect warps into the past and it becomes your favorite Keen mod always.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Levellass wrote:Keen 7-9, the last one is so awesome that if you're going to play it at any time in the future, its effect warps into the past and it becomes your favorite Keen mod always.
9 has been released? or are you a tester?
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Levellass is essentially part of the Keen 9 team, since her contributions are vital and she's given valuable feedback on various stages of the mod I've sent her. Aside from Mink, Tulip and I, she's seen more than anyone else.

My favorite mods:
A New Dope: challenging levels, great graphics, and collecting IQ jars is an awesome game mechanic.

Aliens vs Keen: Great levels and the graphics really lend to the alien atmosphere.

Keen Null: Awesome graphics, the levels are good and really reflect the ship environment.

Keen X: It's a classic.

Monky Business Beta: Awesome mystical/mysterious setting, the graphics are awesome, the levels are hard but memorable.

Norp the Yorp 3: Brain Damage: Really like the graphics.

Mods I'm 'most' looking forward too:
Zoltan's Revenge
Where is Everybody
The Keen Community Mod
Freaking-Never-Gonna-Be-Released Monky Business
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Episode Smile hands down.

Others I always name are Keen Y (best dark atmosphere in any keen mod, that could probably be surpassed by Zoltan's) and Keen Q

Also the Decree of the Skree Trilogy always has been a personal favourite, as well as the Christmas Special 2004. [EDIT] Oh man can't believe I forgot Save the Quillsheep.

Looking forward mostly to shikadi's next release (while I haven't finished his uber-hard Keen S yet),[EDIT] and forgot: Clones of Evil 2, Banana Mod
Last edited by tulip on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

KeenQ, Silcar, and Dead in the Desert :)

PS Tulip: Almost done making silcar 5? :begging
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Retrosis, the unofficial TUIT series, and Keen X. I can't belive that aside from me, only Ceilick voted for Keen X so far :redeyes
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Grimson wrote:Retrosis, the unofficial TUIT series, and Keen X. I can't belive that aside from me, only Ceilick voted for Keen X so far :redeyes
That's because KeenX isn't very good. It's a fossil. ;)
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

It's better than a lot mods out there *cough*keen-6*cough*
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
RivaStyle
Vortininja

Post by RivaStyle »

The TUIT and Decree of the Skree trilogies, the VERY challenging Keen Q and the funny Lego Keen
"So Achmed, you're trying to impersonate someone?"

"I'm Santa Claus, dammit! I look just like him! I'm jolly... and I'm fat... ish..."
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

VBB wrote:PS Tulip: Almost done making silcar 5?
Almost not working on it at the moment. But I promise it'll be finished next year.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

XkyRauh wrote:That's because KeenX isn't very good. It's a fossil. ;)
Do not be so modest. Not only is Keen X one of the first Keen mods, but even after all this time, it is STILL one of the best mods there are and it is one of the few non-Galaxy games I have played more than a handful of times. So coming from me that is saying a lot.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

tulip wrote:
VBB wrote:PS Tulip: Almost done making silcar 5?
Almost not working on it at the moment. But I promise it'll be finished next year.
You still planned on making Onward: Silcar 5 a Keen 5 mod right? Come on modders, someone has to knock Ceilick off his Galaxy throne! :p
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Mods:
Ceilick's TUIT: pretty much obligatory since they're so good
Save the Quillsheep: My favorite Xky mod, even if it is only a mini. Great incorporation of enemies into inventive puzzles.
Keen Null: Still the gold standard for Vorticons mods, IMKO. Such a good use of the tileset, and excellent themed-levels.
Episode Smile: After making it all the way through thanks to newish DOSBox save states (no there is still no way my Vorticons Keening skills have improved enough to let me pass the first couple levels without those), I've gotta agree with Tulip. The scrub-puzzles where you you have to guide your buddy through are brilliant, I was sad I couldn't take it with me through the exit (Valve totally robbed KR for the Companion Cube).

Levelpacks:
CK Guys Keen 5 Levelpack: Easily the most inventive and best levelpack I've played to-date. Ghost Town and the double-toggle bridge are just too cool.
Keen Asylum: The Volte-Pede is quite possibly one of my favorite levels since the concept's so cool (the tedious platform switch puzzle near Robo Red later in that level, not so much). And it's neat seeing the areas where this inspired CKGK5LP.
The MrBlack Pack: A rare Vorticons pack where the levels are better than the originals, but I still have yet to beat it. Perhaps I shall take another stab at it one of these days...