disabling god mode.

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

disabling god mode.

Post by shikadi »

why do (to much) modders disable the godmode cheat? and why does it happen more in more difficult mods?

discuss!
nothing usefull here
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Modders do that? Really? That's lame. Not everybody here is that great at playing Keen.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Modders do this because they want people to 'experience' every bit of a mod the way they, the creators, intended it to be played. Its to prevent people from "skimming through" a mod, seeing whats to come and 'ruining' certain surprises as a result of skipping the challenges. It's a method of imposing the sense of 'wow a lot of work went into this' and forcing players to avoid the sense of 'wow that was cool now I'm done with it'.

Granted, not everyone uses cheats to breeze through a mod, and some people can breeze through a mod and appreciate the time and effort that everything took, but removing god mode ensures that it won't happen.

Although, modders need to be careful and make sure the difficulty will match their audiences desire to see what else is in the mod. Make a mod too hard and without enough interesting things to see, a player who doesn't have access to god mode probably won't feel like finishing the mod.

I haven't discussed the matter with Mink or Tulip, but removing all F-10 cheats in the initial release of Keen 9 is something I'd like to do, and restoring them in a later release.
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Ah, ok. That makes sense. But be sure to make it easy enough that people can beat it!
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

don't forget to kill the BAT cheat
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

PLEASE DON'T KILL GOD MODE. I usually play in god mode but

I usually play in

I use god

OKAY I ADMIT IT I'M A NO-GOOD FILTHY CHEATER WHO DESERVES TO BE BANNED AUGH :( :| :no :O :helmet :oops :goth :bloody :celtic

But really, please don't delete it. You can delete warp and jump and item and ALL the other ones, but not god mode. I'm starting to play Keen 4 without it, and it's kind of tough.
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I think in Keen 4-6, removing God Mode is not as bad as in 1-3. You can always save in 4-6 (and that's why I don't really use cheats there).
Disabled god mode in 1-3 really sucks! I deleted so many mods because I was not able to get past the first level. So disabling the cheats works the other way round for me: I won't see anything of the mod.

So I'd be very thankful if someone could wirte a short tutorial on how to enable god mode in Keen 1-3 mods.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

But really, please don't delete it. You can delete warp and jump and item and ALL the other ones, but not god mode. I'm starting to play Keen 4 without it, and it's kind of tough.
For real? :confused Considering theres both easy mode and in-game saving, theres really no excuse for not beating episodes 4-6 without cheating.
So I'd be very thankful if someone could wirte a short tutorial on how to enable god mode in Keen 1-3 mods.
Most modders will label what patch removes the cheats in their patch files. If you open a patchfile (the file ending in .pat) with notepad and look through it you can often find a part labeled as changing or disabling the cheats. Some modders take some effort to hide this and don't label it, in which case one must actually know the specific patch to find and remove it.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Re-enabling the godmode is easy, as Ceilick said.

I think it's fun if the modder changes the godmode cheatcode, if you can learn it in some secret area of the mod itself.
There's only one problem: Modders who do that are usually Levellord, who's mods are all buggy as hell, and you normally can't win any of them without cheating at some point, because of some weird glitch. Moreover Levellord disabled the noclipping on the map in godmode, a patch which I had to remove in all cases, because of said bugs that got you stuck somewhere, and you couldn't even godmode out.

So to sum it up:
- disabling cheats completely is not a good idea, think of it as removing a feature of the game
- changing the codes for cheats can be cool, and finding out about them can be even integrated into the mod experience
- Do only do that (as a modder) if you had your mod thoroughly playtested, by at least 3 betatesters, as you may make your own bugs impassable.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

If the patches are not labeled this may help non-modders like me:
Keen Wiki

Remove these lines from the pat-file to re-enable cheats. Tested it, worked. :-)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

If the cheats are disabled in Keen 9, I'll be very disappointed! It's not that I want to use cheats, but after I beat the game (without cheating), I would like to explore it a bit more. I would like to see the world map. I would like to explore unseen areas by the normal way. All in all, I want to see all the areas that I miss or didn't notice. And that's why the cheats should not be disabled.

The ones who are using cheats for seeing whats to come and ruining the surprise is for their own bad.
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Ceilick wrote:I haven't discussed the matter with Mink or Tulip, but removing all F-10 cheats in the initial release of Keen 9 is something I'd like to do, and restoring them in a later release.
You could change them (and the activation method) and let people figure out how the new ones work themselves...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Generally agree with Tulip.
If the cheats are disabled in Keen 9, I'll be very disappointed! It's not that I want to use cheats, but after I beat the game (without cheating), I would like to explore it a bit more. I would like to see the world map. I would like to explore unseen areas by the normal way. All in all, I want to see all the areas that I miss or didn't notice. And that's why the cheats should not be disabled.

The ones who are using cheats for seeing whats to come and ruining the surprise is for their own bad.
These are all reasons why I would want to keep the cheats in-tact. And I agree, players are short-changing themselves by cheating before actually winning otherwise (unless its just plain too hard for them). But, I think I would still want to remove the temptation temporarily. We'll see though.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Letting people save the game more than twice will be generous enough. lol