disabling god mode.

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

Could you disable every single cheat except God Mode? :begging

(gee whiz, I HATE that emotikeen)

Or another idea. Make it so when you press A-2-Enter, instead of it saying "Debug Cheats Active", have it say "Do you REALLY want to cheat?" and then have it take 5 or 6 times to work.

That may discourage some people who'd want to cheat. (like me).
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

mortimermcmirestinks wrote:......Or another idea. Make it so when you press A-2-Enter, instead of it saying "Debug Cheats Active", have it say "Do you REALLY want to cheat?" and then have it take 5 or 6 times to work.

That may discourage some people who'd want to cheat. (like me).
In one of the Vorticon mods (I believe it might have been the first Grand Intellect mod, but do not quote me on that) when you activate C+T+Space cheat instead of saying, "You are now cheating" the message calls you "Scum". I found that amusing to say the least!
Keenfan wrote:If the patches are not labeled this may help non-modders like me:
Keen Wiki

Remove these lines from the pat-file to re-enable cheats. Tested it, worked. :-)
Ceilick and I were shooting the you-know-what one day and at some point in the discussion I was complaining about the cheats being disabled in Aliens Ate My Babysitter... Again. Whether intentional or not, he unwittingly let it slip to me on how to reactivate the cheats. At this point I had already beaten the game on easy and normal and felt I had found all the secrets I could. I could not get very far on hard so I cheated to find anything I might have missed on the first two level difficulties. Little did I know there were 3 hidden areas I missed not to mention all the alternate paths NY00123 set up on this difficulty. Suffice to say, cheating on hard allowed me to find a little more from the mod, but I do agree with NY00123 that if cheats would have been implemented to begin with the surprises (and there are quite a few in AAMBA) would have been spoiled, my favorite being the "super" secret level.

How does this apply to BOTB? I will be perfectly fine with not having cheats when I first play the game. Once I have completed all 14 levels on all 3 skill levels and found all the secrets I can, then I will reactivate the cheats myself rather then waiting for Ceilick to do it in the next release.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

I generally don't have time to play seriously, so I just breeze through with God mode, and don't really bother otherwise; though I didn't know that reenabling it was an option before now.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

KeenEmpire wrote:I generally don't have time to play seriously
That's why they made easy mode.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I don't think mods should be dumbed down for the few retards incapable of beating them. If Keen is too hard for you, then go buy a "Kinect".

Also: Everything Ceilick said.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I don't think mods should be dumbed down for the few retards incapable of beating them. If Keen is too hard for you, then go buy a "Kinect".
I think this is a little harsh: some mods are a pain in the ass for even the seasoned keener. There's several mods i've only completed with cheats, and several mods I haven't completed at all because of difficulty. I'm not sure I need a kinect :p
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Scarlet wrote:
KeenEmpire wrote:I generally don't have time to play seriously
That's why they made easy mode.
I can see you don't understand the definition of "don't have time". Unless I can literally just fly through it, I generally don't play at all.

This goes, unfortunately, for Keen 9 as well (even though it didn't for Keen 8; my schedule's become much tighter).
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Most levels on easy mode are easy to beat quickly. It takes what, one minute? It takes several seconds longer to just shoot a few enemies along the way. But, after some 15 years of keening, or more, I suppose some have different experiences on how careful they jump ;)

I might have used cheats in galaxy only a couple times.
I guess I could see god mode making sense - in the early keen games - because there is less control over keen. You jump but you don't stay on the square as firmly as in the galaxy games.

@ Ceilick - depends on the mod. ;) Or the keen game itself.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

What I don't understand is if cheats can be re-enabled so easily, just by editing the patch file, then why bother disabling them at all?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Because those who would cheat are generally those that don't know how to reenable them :O
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

I agree with wiivn...I can and have beaten all the Commander Keen games (and quite a few mods, some of them pretty difficult) without cheating. I do however, like to have that option there for the games after I've beaten them to find secrets I may have missed. It's stupid for people to cheat to win the game and unnecessary as well, but I don't think removing the cheat codes is really a good idea...although I really like the idea of incorporating it into the mod. :D

@ Ceilick: I won't be too disappointed if you decide to release Keen 9 without cheat codes, but if you do, please be sure and release a version with them down the road...or at least show me how to re-enable them after I beat it. :P
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Scarlet wrote:Most levels on easy mode are easy to beat quickly. It takes what, one minute?
Uh huh, I'm sure you can play a completely new mod without ever having seen the levels before, and average a 1 minute level time.

I'm not even sure I can do that with god mode (though I must admit to a tendency to explore stuff; "breezing" through a mod does not necessarily mean world-record speedrunning).
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I like this philosophy.

Though I try to aim my mods at my own skills, which tend to be insufficient for beating a lot of existing mods. Guess I should go buy a Kinect.

A thought: Maybe just change the combination that enables the F10 cheats? The only thing is that this could be worked around via the --nowait flag, IIRK, so that might need to be disabled too. But it would save on re-releasing.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I'm not even sure I can do that with god mode (though I must admit to a tendency to explore stuff; "breezing" through a mod does not necessarily mean world-record speedrunning).
This I can agree with, one can appreciate plenty of what a mod has to offer just by god moding through and exploring, but a lot of level design is designed for the purpose of slowing the player down and making them think or react quickly under penalty of death. These situations, sometimes painstakingly created, are easily overlooked.

I don't mean to offend anyone by the following, but I kind of assume that anyone without enough time to play or motivation to try without cheats won't mind waiting a few weeks or however long for cheats to be enabled. Either they're interested enough to try it out, off and on as the case may be because of time constraints, or they're just not that interested and won't mind waiting. I think this is pretty much applicable to any mod being released.
But it would save on re-releasing.
I'm pretty much counting on things going wrong and a rerelease/update being a necessity, regardless of cheats :p
please be sure and release a version with them down the road...or at least show me how to re-enable them after I beat it.
When the time comes, and if cheats are initially removed, I'll be happy to restore them immediately to anyone who tells me (privately! avoid spoilers!) how the game ends :)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I sure wouldn't want someone to just "breeze through" an amazing mod such as Shmaynoria and overlook all of my beautiful hard work that went into it, and I certainly wouldn't want to rob someone the life changing experience of beating it fair and square.

Seriously though... Shmaynoria > Keen 9 :p