Unknown Mod

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Ceilick
The Dude

Unknown Mod

Post by Ceilick »

So recently I was contacted by this russian keener about my tuit mods, and after talking modding a bit, he showed me this video he found: http://www.slingfile.com/file/6a1bo8 . Obviously this is a keen vorticons mod of some kind, but I've never seen it. The video was uploaded only a few days ago, so I did some checking on keen modding but it doesn't look like its among the recent projects there. Anybody know anythign about this and who is behind it?

Genius314 said the sight its hosted on sucks, so I took the liberty of uploading the footage. Note, the quality is horrendous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k16TY0JliQw
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Creepypasta mod?
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

I haven't a clue, but the fact that you can fly around without having the pogo out makes it very interesting.
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

That is weird... :bloody The video is oddly hypnotic though. I'm sure this hasn't been mentioned on K:M (or here); although I'm not there as regularly as I once was, I have checked more or less all mods and topics about them. Did he say anything about its release? It looks like it could be from the past decade. I think those 'orbs' change Keen's way of moving somehow... I'd like to try this.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I suppose Keen's movement is heavily patched. Look when he's flying, he can fly straight and doesn't fly up or fall down like when you have the god pogo. That also means the pogoing sprite probably isn't replaced by a standing still one. Either way, this is indeed very interesting.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Wth did you record that with? :stoned
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I think its pretty obvious how the flying works. It looks to me like he replaced the pogo sprite portrait with the jump sprite portrait, (or he patched jump to work in pogo's place) and he's using the pogo/jetpack patch from the generic mod II. You can tell based on how keen hovers after he hits the ceiling. I don't believe this mod has been released- as far as I know, LL's generic series were the only mods to use that patch. However, if that is in fact LL's patch, then I suspect were looking at an early version of a future mod, or some abandoned mod that a community member was working on.

Edit: that's not a perfect copy of LL's patch. Normally you can't move up after hovering I don't think.... I think he's using some but not all of the patches. I'm pretty sure we have a hover patch somewhere...
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

It looks to me like he replaced the pogo sprite portrait with the jump sprite portrait, (or he patched jump to work in pogo's place) and he's using the pogo/jetpack patch from the generic mod II.
This is what I thought at first too, but from I recall, that patch doesn't allow Keen to ascend after he's hit his head on the ceiling. In the video Keen clearly ascends after hitting his head at 0:06.

Keenrush might be right about the items; keen only ever floats in the video after getting an item, although this might be coincidental. Pretty cool if thats the case.
Wth did you record that with?
I didn't. Read my post.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

It looks oddly familiar, like I've seen some parts of it before...
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I theorise that it is a physical by-product of our collective bizarre and mind bending Keen-related dreams.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I didn't. Read my post.
Oops. I thought you wrote you recorded that clip while playing the mod :rolleyes

But yeah, in Russia, Keen floats around in crappy videos.
keen only ever floats in the video after getting an item, although this might be coincidental. Pretty cool if thats the case.
He floats through the entire clip. Even before getting that item.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Has the guy posted anything else?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

keen only ever floats in the video after getting an item, although this might be coincidental. Pretty cool if thats the case.
He floats through the entire clip. Even before getting that item.
True. What I meant was, keen only ever rises after grabbing an item. When he grabs the black thing, he seems to descend, and both the yellow and blue things seem to make him rise.

The guy who showed me the video hasn't been online since he first messaged me, but I sent an email to the address he used asking if he knows or has found out anything more.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

That red orb seems to remove the flying ability.

And yeah, this is like a strange signal from a distant planet :P
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Sweet. Just add some creepy music and you've got a Halloween mod. Not sure why I enjoy the fact that it's glitchy.