IMF Player and Commander Genius IMF Support

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

IMF Player and Commander Genius IMF Support

Post by gerstrong »

Hi guys,

there is a new IMF Player which can be used directly without DOS by the modders. Linux32 and 64-Bit as also Windows versions are available.

Commander Genius official IMF Support will be available at end of month. For those who wonder, it uses dbopl, the OPL Emulator used by Dosbox. It think it has the best sound.

If someone wants to test it now, just grab the latest testing version. The IMF Player has an official for now.

Here are our files:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/clonekeenplus/files/
Having fun developing stuff...
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

if i can get a midi-2-imf program, i'd be glad to test my music on it and upload the result to youtube.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

Right, a review's uploaded to zshare now:

imfplayerreview.mp3 - 14.46MB

Would it be a better idea to store all of the small stuff like midis and imfs to CKFS instead?
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

BlueGasMask wrote:Right, a review's uploaded to zshare now:

Would it be a better idea to store all of the small stuff like midis and imfs to CKFS instead?
Sorry, but I disagree about your statement in the review at one point. The IMFPlayer can play your files normally, but it's not Keen-Audio-Format what you have created. Your file was made for 700 Hz (Wolfenstein 3D) Music and not 560. You can configure that in IMFPlayer, but Commander Genius won't play it differently, so I guess you will need to find a way to transform it.

Unfortunately the files do not contain that information...

Keen Games always use 560 Hz.

Try this out:

Code: Select all

IMFPlayer <File.imf> 700
and you will see that it's at the same speed as you wanted.

The Song is really great! Thanks! :)
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

gerstrong wrote:
BlueGasMask wrote:Right, a review's uploaded to zshare now:

Sorry, but I disagree about your statement in the review at one point. The IMFPlayer can play your files normally, but it's not Keen-Audio-Format what you have created. Your file was made for 700 Hz (Wolfenstein 3D) Music and not 560. You can configure that in IMFPlayer, but Commander Genius won't play it differently, so I guess you will need to find a way to transform it.

Unfortunately the files do not contain that information...

Keen Games always use 560 Hz.

Try this out:

Code: Select all

IMFPlayer <File.imf> 700
and you will see that it's at the same speed as you wanted.

The Song is really great! Thanks! :)
unfortunately, the imf creator dheadshot gave me doesn't have a keen option, just wolf3d, duke 3d and some other one i can't remember right now.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

There's a manual setting for you to put in the 560 value I think...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

DHeadshot wrote:There's a manual setting for you to put in the 560 value I think...
awesome stuff! i'll get right on that!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

There was a bug in IMFPlayer v2.0 that would cause the player to crash when playing an IMF file that uses OPL rhythm mode. I don't know if that bug is already fixed in the current Commander Genius source, but it was still present in the IMFPlayer source code that I downloaded 10 days ago.

An updated version of the player can be found here:
http://k1n9duk3.k1.ohost.de/files/imfpl ... 32_v21.zip (Source Code: http://k1n9duk3.k1.ohost.de/files/imfplayer_v21_src.zip)
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I applaud any window IMF player, especially one that can render them as the games do.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

This was just a test program used in Keen 4 like about two years ago. I'm pretty sure it is old and outdated.

I would update the code, but honestly I haven't seen any interest by others on it, so I left it as it is and continued fixing its bugs within the main source code of Commander Genius where you find the most recent code.

Creating a windowed app for that player is easily done, with Visual Studio or I would use QT Creator or wxWidgets.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

@gerstrong: I noticed that there already was a new version of your IMFPlayer after I wrote the post above. I sent you a PM, but your inbox appears to be full.
I found and fixed the bug that prevented your IMFPlayer from playing IMF files that use the OPL rhythm mode (Monster Bash is probably the only game that uses such files). Unfortunately, I used the IMFPlayer v2.0 source from sourceforge, not the current source from GitHub, so most of the fixes I made are probably useless. The only files that might be useful are dbopl.cpp and maybe dbopl.h.

The problem in dbopl.cpp were the default cases in the switch statements, which call the abort() function. I checked the DOSBox 0.74 source and noticed that there were no default cases at all, so I removed them and the IMFPlayer worked perfectly fine with rhythm-mode IMFs.
From what I've seen on GitHub, the bugs appear to be still present in the current DBOPL implementation of Commander Genius, so you might want to update it.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Thanks I answered your PM. So what would you like to do with it. Maybe I can help you a bit, besides CG development...
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »