Keen 9: Battle of the Brains

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Finished the mine levels, and now I'm starting the Shikadi planet levels. I just saw your Shikadi replacement--- WOW! I'm not going to spoil it but.... Levellass outdid herself.

This mod is incredible- It's obvious that you guys put a lot of work into it. The graphics are great, the enemies are patched very well, to the point that I can't even tell what all the enemies were originally.

I'm very impressed with the difficulty on hard. It's much harder than the other two. I honestly don't think I could beat anything past the first level without abusing in level saving- and I still die all the time despite abusing it.

edit: Is there some sort of order to the worlds difficulty wise? I'm just starting at the mines and working myself around counterclockwise.

doubleedit: Wow I feel silly- I just realized how the shikadi was changed. It seems obvious now. Still incredibly clever. And it makes you fear the shikadi.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Stealthy71088 wrote:And it makes you fear the shikadi.
POWER TO OUR RACE! POWER TO THE SHIKADI!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Wow! Is this for real this time?
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

That one shikadi has bothered me a bit. I was happy to get him out of the way finally. :P

What's under the crater?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

More bugs fixed. For those who have already started playing, you can transfer your save files to the latest version in order to avoid some annoying bugs. Just make sure you save on the world map before copying over your save file :)

@Stealthy: Glad you're enjoying the hard difficulty!

Also the map was designed to allow the player to play the locations in whichever order they like. They were developed in the following order, however, and this generally the order I play them in: Shikadus I, Frosthool, Altaire Prime, and the Krodacian Station.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

GARGapplesauce wrote:HOLY garg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I've barely played through it, but it is excellent so far. It's great to see the little lightbulb robots from XkyKeen1 again. Look forward to getting through the rest of it, will have more to say when I do. :)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yeah amazing so far! Btw any tips for recording? I was recording and it plays well in the dos box player, but with normal player, the colors are screwed.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I'm writing from school:

Well done team!!

I think, you guys your honour is a BIG V! XD

2011 mods: Keen 9, Keen Xmas 2010
Yeah, piece of cake!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

kuliwil wrote:Well done everyone!
Excellent effort, you should all be members of the Gnosticene High Council :D

Also - wowlargefile.
I wanna be a member. XD
Yeah, piece of cake!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Is it me, or the game is really hard?

I was blown away with the crystal level design! I didn't expect that. Very cool!

edit: you can explore the world map right at the beginning of the game, no cheats needed :). Just go to the lower left corner and bump into the walls until you eventually get out.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I played two levels so far, and they were great in graphics, design and enemies.
But in Depleted Tunnels there's one thing that feels waaaaaaay to hard for easy mode:

I hate the fact that you get killed if you just follow down the climbing pole the first time. That felt really annoying.
I didn't manage to get past this %$/§ brown thing so far, I think I'll have to save/load every 2nd frame or so next time to get it.
I'd love to see this one easier in a future release.
Do the other players feel the same way?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, I was forced to save there too, but it's not impossible and I'm playing on hard anyway. It's not the only hard place though, so I guess you'll have to try hard.

Btw at the same level, this guy was stuck:

Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Btw any tips for recording? I was recording and it plays well in the dos box player, but with normal player, the colors are screwed.
I'm not sure, recording with dosbox has worked fine for me :confused
Is it me, or the game is really hard?
Hard mode definitely is!
you can explore the world map right at the beginning of the game, no cheats needed . Just go to the lower left corner and bump into the walls until you eventually get out.
Are you talking about right at the start? I haven't been able to reproduce this...

@Keenfan: I've edited the level slightly so that the Asteroid won't come up there for a blind kill (which I agree, isn't fair). If you're still stuck there, you'll have to restart the level (save on the world map) and then you can play with the updated version (same link).

@wiivn: Arg, that probe was supposed to be replaced by a propsector. Fixed.
RivaStyle
Vortininja

Post by RivaStyle »

For the little bit of game that I've seen... EXCELLENT WORK!

Next week (after exams :dead ) I'll try to finish the game, so I can comment a little better.
PandoricaShark wrote:Arrrgh fucl fucl fucl fucl

my commander keen 5 isn't recognized by keen 9, just like how ckgut's levelpack didn't recognize it

pretty much nothing fixes this

also i can't run setup.bat on my mac fuccccckk
I noticed this problem with CK5 v1.4 by GT Interactive... the normal v1.4 works fine for me.
"So Achmed, you're trying to impersonate someone?"

"I'm Santa Claus, dammit! I look just like him! I'm jolly... and I'm fat... ish..."