Commander Genius 0.3.3.2

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
pizza2004
Vortininja

Commander Genius 0.3.3.2

Post by pizza2004 »

I noticed that a new version of Commander Genius was released, and I'm sorry for the delay of the Mac version, as I didn't feel like doing it on the 31st like I saw gerstrong do, and then our household router died the next day, so I am unable to access the Internet with my computer, and am currently typing this with my phone. I'll release the update as soon as possible.

I'm not certain of the change in this version, but I'm sure gerstrong could fill us in.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Well, there are some changes but not groundbreaking I'd say:

(Taken from the Changelog)

- Thanks to Malvineous IMF Player got a bit faster. He found an interesting slow down in our code

- Now switches for platforms and bridges work

- Big IMF Bug I discovered has been fixed which produced crashes on some systems

- Better Platform code

- Some PC-Speaker sound improvements

- New CG Core which has a bit less code, is easier to understand,

uses more smartpointers and also seems to be a bit faster.

- Less graphic glitches in OpenGL Mode
Having fun developing stuff...
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Out of interest, do you optimise the CG code for pipelined systems so that it runs fast on mobile devices or do you simply write things in a logical order for greater human readability?
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

DHeadshot wrote:Out of interest, do you optimise the CG code for pipelined systems so that it runs fast on mobile devices or do you simply write things in a logical order for greater human readability?
It sounds to me like they simplify what's there first, as to have less actions to perform/bottlenecks.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

DHeadshot wrote:Out of interest, do you optimise the CG code for pipelined systems so that it runs fast on mobile devices [...] ?
That's actually the compiler's job, not the programmer's. Only simple/stupid compilers require you to rewrite the code.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:Out of interest, do you optimise the CG code for pipelined systems so that it runs fast on mobile devices [...] ?
That's actually the compiler's job, not the programmer's. Only simple/stupid compilers require you to rewrite the code.
Efficiently written code means optimisations a compiler might miss...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

DHeadshot wrote:Out of interest, do you optimise the CG code for pipelined systems so that it runs fast on mobile devices or do you simply write things in a logical order for greater human readability?
Both ;-)

But you can have a good compiler/linker and still badly documented code or inelegant used variable names.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I know Pizza, this is your area, but I hope it helps.

I have uploaded a Mac Version for the ones who want to try it out.

;-)
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Okay, my internet is fully restored, so I'll be here to upload new versions from now on. Sorry about any inconvenience!

Also, how did you do that gerstrong? I didn't think it was possible to compile for Mac without using a Mac.
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

I think compiling for different OS's may just be a compiler switch, but I'm not sure.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Hi @Pizza2004, there are some ways. You can use Hackintosh or Virtual Machine emulating EFI, but I have a real Mac here for some time and I built it on that machine.

@MOM4Evr: Not sure about the Mac version they have some differences. I don't think it is that easy to build it by just changing switches, but I might be wrong.

Anyway, more elements are now playable in Keen 4. It got at a nice state...

And Pizza2004, it's good to have you under us again :-) Glad you got back online...