Adventures in the BWB (megarocket)- DEMO Included!!!

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Did you enjoy the Demo?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 20

GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Adventures in the BWB (megarocket)- DEMO Included!!!

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Well, hello PCKF. My "secret-ish" project, AIBWB, is finally in the Demo stage, which is released to you all now. It is a 2 level demo, so as not to spoil too much, and it includes a few things that haven't been done yet, however a LOT of it has. I did not place this in the release forum because discussion can go on here, and this release included here is just a demo, so the final edition will go in the release forum.

HERE IS THE DOWNLOAD

This is a brand new Keen 4 mod, with a fairly different twist on some things. The final release will have 10 levels, some featuring standard gameplay using commander keen, and others using the BWB megarocket. The premise of the game is that, while returning home in the BWB from a scouting mission, Commander Keen is hit with a mysterious lazer blast, destroying many of the heat shields on the bottom of the BWB! Well, how is he supposed get home now??? He'd be toasted, that's for sure... Now, he has to venture all across the galaxy finding the many pieces of the heat shields so that he can return home safely...

This demo (V.D.1.1) includes:
-2 of the final levels for this mod, "StarCluster" and "Meteoroid Cloud", though the latter only shows up as "Meteoroids" in the game... :P
-A lot of new graphics and stuff.
-New music, courtesy of MOM4Evr (give him a hand, they're pretty cool!!!)
-Patches, lots of them, courtesy of Levellass and mink.

This demo does not include:
-New replcements for several enemies (the only unfinished enemies that I used in the demo are Berkeloid and Wormouth, but the Oracle Janitor has not been replaced either), which are coming.
-Furnishings for the BWB, which is also coming. Now it's just paddlewar.
-Story Texts

Tomorrow, Season 1.5 of Let's Mod will begin on YouTube, starting with information on this demo.

Notes on the demo:
-As in the final edition, look out for warning signs! Due to limits in patching, scrolling in levels featuring the BWB megarocket is... not ideal. It makes it difficult to see oncoming hazards. So, when you see a warning sign, slow down, hang around, and proceed with caution. This will be made less of a problem in future levels.
-The world map is completely done, so If you'd like to try to take a look, or even find the secret level's entrance, go ahead and venture right on past the DEMO signs, but just know that you'll find nothing but a bunch of screwed up levels if you choose to enter any levels...
-The Oracle janitor is not replaced with new sprites yet, so bear that in mind, the fact that they are the heat shields.

If you see anything I screwed up or any tile errors/glitches/mistakes, please let me know, I probably made some.

Thanks so much, tell me what you think, and have fun with the demo. If you have any questions, do the same.

EDIT: Also, those of you who are also on KeenWiki, don't worry about creating a page for this, I can take care of it in my free time...
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Is is very different, I must say.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I LOVE THIS MOD!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

This is pretty good indeed, nice idea to use the wetsuit this way.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Scarlet wrote: Is is very different, I must say.
Yes, I wanted to make it look as unique as possible.. sadly, I canged the definition of "unique" to "garbage" in the case of some graphics.
szemi wrote:I LOVE THIS MOD!
I'm glad :)
tulip wrote: This is pretty good indeed, nice idea to use the wetsuit this way.
Thanks, yeah I thought it was a neat concept... it still needs a lot of work, and Gridlock is being great and helping me out with tilesets and stuff, making it look a lot less... crappy. He's been a huge help already, and I CANT BELIEVE I FORGOT TO PUT HIM IN THE INTRO!!!! :(

Still, even I'm interested to see where this goes, and I think it could make a fairly fun mod.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
neek
Vortininja

Post by neek »

Whoah, this looks really cool. :) Will the ship have weapons in the full game?
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

neek wrote:Whoah, this looks really cool. :) Will the ship have weapons in the full game?
No, I wish it would, but it would not be possible with patching without causing a bunch of serious issues. Still, thanks for taking interest in the project!

EDIT: Also, welcome to the forums... about 2 months late... :o sorry haha.
neek
Vortininja

Post by neek »

:lol It's all good, I kind of snuck in without saying the boring "Hi, I'm new here blahblahblah". Anyway, keep up the good work.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

WINNING!

This mod is excellent! Can't wait for the full release!
The gameplay really feels like a proper Keen title.

Just a few things though: Maybe a few too many ammo boosts and large score point items - I kept hitting things by accident in the first level and dying, then getting a new life almost immediately after I started again.

But all-round an EXCELLENT mod idea!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Well, this is more of a concept showoff than anything else at the moment. The biggest issue I'm seeing is the size of some of the enemies: I suggest you use different types of enemies for the ship levels and the regular levels, like that small starship enemy that replaces the fly (it is 3 times smaller than keen and it looks silly).

So far so good, but it still needs a lot of work.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Interesting idea, but it really feels like I should be able to shoot in flying levels (I know it would take a lot of patching, but it would be really awesome). Also... why is the earth a swimming zone? o.o
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Download doesn't work. Which episode are you modding? Any screenshots?
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

RoboBlue wrote:Interesting idea, but it really feels like I should be able to shoot in flying levels (I know it would take a lot of patching, but it would be really awesome). Also... why is the earth a swimming zone? o.o
It's Keen's swimming replacement for the BWB rocket, and in the space you are flying, that's why.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

kuliwil wrote:WINNING!

This mod is excellent! Can't wait for the full release!
The gameplay really feels like a proper Keen title.

Just a few things though: Maybe a few too many ammo boosts and large score point items - I kept hitting things by accident in the first level and dying, then getting a new life almost immediately after I started again.

But all-round an EXCELLENT mod idea!
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. As for accidentally hitting stuff in the first level, since only the actually Well of wishes level had the special underwater scrolling, any others I put swimming keen in (the BWB), it's going to use the regular scrolling. For that level, I tried to assist players by putting in the warning signs, but just know that future BWB levels will be designed to be mostly horizontal, so as to avoid this problem.

As for the ammo, you're right, it really wasn't necessary at all in the first level. There will ALWAYS be a store of something in the BWB, so as to never start the player off empty handed, but not as much as there is in that level.

And finally, as for the new lives, that was sort of my apology for the bad design of the first level, and I'll fix it up for the final. Thanks again!
CKEEN: I've actually thought extensively about the enemy problem, and that's why I don't believe I ended up using any enemies the same, save for the asteroids (the mines), but that was tough to avoid. The small ship, though I didn't release the names of the enemies, the ship is called a "bipshuttle", hence the fact that you can... erm... smush it :) It won't be used in any BEB levels. If there are any I missed, just let me know. As for the work and the concept showoff, as I was saying , its a demo, and not too much is to be expected :P
But regardless, I'm glad you're interested in it, thanks.
RoboBlue wrote: Interesting idea, but it really feels like I should be able to shoot in flying levels (I know it would take a lot of patching, but it would be really awesome). Also... why is the earth a swimming zone? o.o
As for the shooting, I'll talk to the Lass about it next time she's around, but don't get your hopes up... sorry. The earth being a swimming zone is due to the fact that I was going to show that oyu can't go to the earth yet by displaying a message... however, this will change due to some other changes that I'll be using... you just won't be able to get there period.
As I said, the episode is keen 4. The download sems to work for me, but I'll post a mirror when I have time, but I'm about to leave my house right after I post this message, so... anyhow, there are no screens, because I figured people would be able to see what they wanted in the demo. Just stay around for an updated link.

Thanks to everyone who's taking interest, and stay around for updates!

EDIT: Here's the mirror. http://applesaucewiki.wikispaces.com/fi ... .D.1.1.zip
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

The flying levels were neat. I hope to see more of those in the finished game. You could make them more horizontal to mitigate the poor vertical scrolling of the swimming levels.

Also what CKeen said; right now the BwB looks like a model airplane, and you need different tiles for the flying levels and the foot missions. You could try to use a different style than the cookie-cutter galaxy isometric tileset for the ship levels.

The stars look dull imo. The blue stars in major stryker / duke nukem / cosmo / etc look better than white dots.