Version 0.3.5

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Version 0.3.5

Post by gerstrong »

I jumped the versioning directly to release 0.3.5 because we need to speed up things.

Check out the release and have a lot of fun!

http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/
Having fun developing stuff...
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

:O Yay, new version!!!!!
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

I can't build it for Mac, I get an error:

/src/engine/galaxy/ai/CPlayerLevel.cpp:1431: error: invalid operands of types 'void (galaxy::CPlayerBase::*)()' and 'void (galaxy::CPlayerLevel::*)()' to binary 'operator!='
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Also, I'm not entirely sure why you skipped a version number like that. The numbers only signify an advance in the code. When we are ready with 4.0 we release it, even if we were at version 3.2. Here is a guide to understanding the numbering of versions (for anyone who is wondering):

A.B.C.D

A stands for the overall version, 0 means prerelease, 1 means after release, 2 would only be used for something like a complete rerelease, or if we used up all the other version numbers to that point.

B is used to show we have finished something new, when this number increases, there is something extremely substantially different. 0.3 saw the introduction of the more structured and improved source code, as well as the change in name. 0.4 signifies the release of Galaxy, 0.5 represents the release of Keen 6, and 0.6 would be the release of Dreams if possible, and the beginnings of multiplayer mode. 0.7 will be the version that polishes all the new features, namely multiplayer, and introduces a built in level editor, and perhaps some other modding tools. After 0.7, we will probably release version 1.

C stands for a Major version, and it means that we have made a big step toward finished a feature for B. These appear as 0.3.5, and usually mean we have a cool big feature for you to try, other than just bug fixes.

D stands for a Minor version, this means there isn't too much new or radically different, but we have made some progress, and it isn't necessarily small progress either, it just isn't significant enough to merit a larger version increase, because we only have so many of those. These ones are like 0.3.3.4

This wasn't directed at you Gerhard, I just thought everyone would like to understand how we numbered the versions, that way they can see how much progress we make. I did my best to reflect what we have discussed about the project before.

Also, we don't plan for a full release of version 1.0 till 2014 If I remember correctly, although I may not be here at that point in time, as I may be serving a mission for my religion. While I'm away have someone else make the Mac builds and upload them, and tend to the versioning and such.

I'll make sure to detail the multiplayer modes and do what I can to get that all figured out before I leave, that is the least I can do given that fact that multiplayer is actually my job here. I'll start a thread for people to discuss what they want out of the multiplayer modes, and I may start another thread to talk about how I'll be a part of this project from this point on.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Hi Pizza2004,

I really don't know why you get that error. 'operator!=' does not exist in those classes only two pointers to functions are compared at this point.

Did you use Xcode 4 to build. Can you tell what version of GNU Compiler you are using?
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Regarding your versioning I agree. There was a 0.3.4 version in that month but not released, only as testing version in its mid, because not only many bugs in Keen 4 were removed, also the feature to interact with some of the enemies you can already see is possible.

I also made it possible to use the diving suit in "Well of the Wishes" and extended the messages boxes used in that game. You will see the latest version of CG has a lot of stuff in the Galaxy engine. For that manner I decided to jump another version. I'm a bit in a hurry and am also excited to get it finished. It isn't missing much and Keen 4 will be fully supported. I see a real possibility to finish that support and maybe some more end of this year.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

I'm still having some build issues, but I think the problem there was that you were using != in certain places and it didn't like it.

Edit: Yeah, now it started complaining about there being a duplicate Platform symbol. I'm not sure how to fix the Mac issues, so the Mac version is on hold till we work it out.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I'm wondering are you planning to releasing x64 version for win7? Now sure wherever this would have significant impact or not but still.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

whoa I didn't even notice we didn't have a x64 windows build.

The problem here is, I can't test x64 versions because I'm running 32bit, and I'm not sure if gerstrong is running a 64bit windows machine at all. I think technically it shouldn't be a problem at all, simply the pre-release testing might be difficult.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

is it really necessary using a 64-bit version for Windows? Well, I might update that in some future, but Windows 64-bit editions make 32-bit build run fine. I can build a 64-bit version for Windows, but not sure if it's a good idea for several reasons.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I guess it's not necessary, but why is a 64 bit version for linux then?
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Well, the game uses SDL, which is going to be supported best by Linux more than likely. However, there is no 64 bit SDL on Mac as far as I know, and it wouldn't surprise me if the same applies to Windows, in which case you have to build 64 bit SDL to make it work.

There could be other reasons too.

No input on what I said about the Mac version? I am using Xcode 4, and LLVM GCC 4.2, but get the same error on GCC 4.2 and the only other compiler it has is LLVM compiler 2.0.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Hi Pizza2004, I sent you an email.

Did you try the latest GIT Version? I removed that problem and changed it. It should work fine now...
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

@wiivn: The only release we had as of CloneKeenPlus was a 64-bit build. I extended that to Linux 32-bit using cmake and later to Win32. The other ports came out later. And those are the ports I really maintain, Linux64, Linux32 and Win32. I use a Linux 64 version when I develop on Commander Genius, especially Ubuntu as it's easy to take care of.

So the reasons are historical. Nevertheless I can check and try building a 64-bit version for Windows. I don't think it'll make a change because (as it doesn't between 64-bit and 32-bit Linux) it doesn't consume much memory or use the special features 64-bit CPUs provide yet.

As I understand, the Mac release continues being 32-bit but I might be wrong. Pizza2004 knows about that topic better...
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

There is no 64 bit SDL library for Mac at the current time. The other libraries we use might be 64 bit on Mac, but if I remember correctly from the time I tried to create a 64 bit version, they are not either. Unless the libraries are compiled in 64 bit, I cannot compile the game in 64 bit on Mac.

I'm now able to build it, so I'll upload a version soon.