My Role in Commander Genius

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
pizza2004
Vortininja

My Role in Commander Genius

Post by pizza2004 »

I've been attached to this project for two years now, and in that time I've grown to know some of you much better than I did at first. After all this time, I thought I'd explain what is going on, and why I've become less active. I still love this game, but my attention was drawn away by other things, like girls, and making things of my own.

I helped with the coding, and did a lot of polling and planning to get the project into a more structured format. I don't want to brag, but it was me who got it being updated on a set schedule of once a month. I also did a lot of bug fixing, got the trac to a point where people actually reported errors, and we could easily see what needed done. I also build and upload the Mac build each month.

I don't do too much coding anymore, but that is because I'm growing up, and I have to start taking care of myself and such. I've graduated from highschool, and I have to figure out what to do about college and live on my own for a while. I'll continue to release the Mac version, and do what I can to help advance the coding process when I can.

The thing I'm most worried about is the fact that I'll be leaving on a mission for my church in about a year, and I won't be able to build the Mac version anymore, or worry about the versioning with Gerhard. I'm going to try to get my friend and fellow programmer to build the Mac version and manage what he can while I'm gone.

This means I might not be here for the release of version 1.0, but I plan to get a solid plan set out for the team to follow to implement all the planned features when I'm gone, that way I'll have done what I can for the project.

Seeing as multiplayer was my main responsibility, I'll do what I can to get the groundwork for that set out before I leave, then I'll work on getting it set up for the additions to come after multiplayer is released. I'll leave the rest up to the team.

You guys were all really nice to me, and I learned so much from this project. After I get back from my mission, I'll really have life to think about, and hopefully I'll be able to find a wonderful woman who will love me, and marry her.

I don't know if I'll remember to get on here and tell you guys hello, but if I don't, just remember that this place is where a 16 year old learned that you have to allow other people to be in charge some times, just because they are in charge. I also learned to get along with people who are very stubborn.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I'm glad you are expressing some of your feelings and more importantly learned a lot with us.

It is true that there are stubborn people, but I'm not quite sure, if you should mention it. Some might get offended. I understand that you want to tell that because they have made you mad in some cases, but well, I'd rather think that and continue going. Progress is for what we should look for and as you can imagine, as manager of the project it is not easy to decide for the way in how that development has to go.

I'm happy about the project the way it is going. My wish was to extend Commander Keen 1-3, support galaxy was more like an unreachable wish. Now it is reality and I'm very excited about. Keen 4 was my favorite...

Now about the conflicts we had. I'm not a born leader. I made a lot of projects in the past and have good experiences with C although I must say, that the last 2 years I have been learning a lot of tricks and features I'm using in CG. I really got in love with C++ and maybe the level got a bit to high, but I know, that it eases a lot of work. The past projects I mostly made them without any help, so I'm accostumized to do my stuff lonley. Maybe that made the team get inactive, I don't know...

I'm sorry, if I made you feel uncomfortable in some situations, but I saw that some experience was missing. I don't blame you really, but I wished a bit more of attention. Don't get me wrong. Today I see that from a different perspective and also I had some hard times with girls which made me a bit upset and maybe I discharged it here.

It is the first time I'm having a huge project with international people in my team and I still have to learn a lot in how to treat them. I also have to see who takes it seriously and who not... But well, for that we are here.

You helped us a lot in the past and it is much appreciated. You have my word that your name is immortal in that project. :)

Eventhough I think that you need to learn a bit more about C/C++ some features and design patterns in some ways I really appreciate you a lot, because for that age you are very skilled and I'm really proud of that you got graduated and go you own way.

I have my job I'm also happy with it, it is about programming too and I will finish CG in a way that all episodes, including Dreams will run. What comes next, we'll see. So for now I have two buig projects running. This is secondary priority but still get growing...

Don't worry about the project it grows and will grow... You are always welcome to enjoy it or get awesome features done! ;)
Having fun developing stuff...
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Oh, I didn't mean you were stubborn or did anything wrong. I was just needed to be knocked down a peg. (I needed to be shown my place) I tend to try to take over whatever I'm doing, that is why this helped me to better work on a team.

I wasn't meaning to get mad at anyone, and I was just posting that to make sure everyone knew the situation, that way they don't wonder what is going on.