The Ian Burton Adventure: It's back!

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

The Ian Burton Adventure: It's back!

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Okay, I've been struggling with the system for days, only to finally realize that I had a verification e-mail fermenting in my inbox for about two months now. That'd explain why I couldn't get in. That, in turn, explains why I posted this originally on Keen: Modding instead of here and only got one reply from KeenRush, bless his heart. Anyhow, I'm back.

Yes, ladies and gents, it's that time again. Inspiration has been gnawing at me as of late, and I feel the need to get back to work on "The Ian Burton Adventure" once again. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about or need a refresher, TIBA is a CK1 mod based on the fictionalized exploits of yours truly, Ian Burton, in which space pirates invade his home town and wreak havoc by stealing, among many other things, all of his prized possessions. Here's the intro snippet from STORYTXT.CK1:
~ IAN BURTON
~ in
~ "The Ian Burton Adventure"

Almont, Michigan, was always a quiet, peaceful place. With a population of
roughly 2,800 people, it was rather small--never the location of anything
worth paying attention to. Arguably, one of the only really interesting
things to come out of the town in ages was a teenage boy unlike any other.
While others wasted their time with athletics and other ultimately
meaningless activities, he spent his time developing a personality that
stood out among the rest, a level of cool hard to beat, and a haircut to
match. So much rythm, grace, and debonaire for one man... and that man
was...

IAN BURTON--King of Swing!

~ Episode One: Gone With the Space
~ Pirates

It was just another boring, run-of-the-mill day in Almont. The dirt road
running past Ian Burton's house was devoid of cars, and nobody else was
around for miles. Had he been seated on a rickety, weather-worn rocking
chair on his front porch clad in overalls and playing a banjo, it would have
been just like a scene from every crappy movie about hillbillies ever. Yes,
friends, it looked like little was going to happen today.

Just as Ian was about to give one of his friends a call to see if he could
get together and do something, there came a knock at his door. Well, really,
it was more of a rhythmic pounding. He set down his phone, got up, and went
across the room to answer the door. When he opened the door--the response
of choice to knocking on the door--he was surprised to find something there
that didn't seem to be human. There was little chance for him to look over
what was there, however; it was quick to throw him clear across the yard and
into a tree. All he made out was a brown blur roughly three times his size,
wearing a blue blur and a red blur.

After being out for several hours, as even the greatest of badasses would
have been having been thrown several yards and into a tree, Ian awoke to find
that the dream he'd been having about his house being ransacked... well, it
wasn't quite as much a dream as he'd thought. The front door he'd been flung
from was now hanging by a screw from the hinges. Whatever had tossed him so
effortlessly was nowhere to be seen. Stranger still, a few miscellaneous
objects seemed to be floating in the air.

Alarmed, he rushed inside the house to see exactly what had happened. Right
away, he noticed something that made his blood boil. The spot on the table
where he'd set his cellular phone was now bare. Whoever those big jerks were,
they'd just ripped him off. Rushing upstairs and around the corner, he found
that it hadn't just been his cell phone. There was a bare spot on the chair
where he'd left his trusty fedora. A dusty outline marked where the TV had
been perched upon the heavy, old trunk. And, much to his horror, his computer
had gone AWOL.

"Nobody steals my chips," he spat. "And lives."

As he turned out of his room, he noticed that the invaders had torn the door
clear off of his father's gun safe. Floating in the air several feet from it
was the weapon that Ian quickly decided would be the harbinger of his
vengeance: a shotgun. Snagging it from the air, a grin wiped across his face.
Down the stairs and out the front door he flew, gun in hand. Through the front
door and onto the porch he went. Following one more short set of stairs, he
found himself on the front lawn. Still grinning, he raised the shotgun above
his head with one hand.

"You see this," Ian inquired. "This... is my BOOMSTICK!"

~ WHAT THE PIRATES HAVE STOLEN

Those jerks took Ian's swag, and it's up to you to get it all back. The
following items must be recovered:

CELLULAR PHONE - Has all Ian's phone numbers in it, and allows him to
make calls on to go. Incredibly scratched up flame pattern faceplate.

FEDORA - Greatest hat in all the land. Black in color, sleek in
design. Looks like something straight out of 1922.

TELEVISION SET - The fabled "boob tube". Picks up channel four well.
Good for watching movies.

COMPUTER - Even though it stands on its last legs, still the greatest
piece of hardware in the city of Almont.

Armed with only his wits and a shotgun, Ian must rush out into the fray,
throwing caution to the wind, to defend that which is right... but mostly so
he can get his stuff back.
The only thing that's keeping me from plunging back into this project and finishing it this summer is the fact that I still don't have a full on solution to the nasty graphics hashing problems I've been getting during imports. Using ModKeen 2.0.1, it would leave white and gray noise all over my overworld trees. Using ModKeen32 1.0, it puts nasty hashes all over the high score text graphics and the "Game Over" one as well. At this point, I am fully willing to do anything necessary to fix this crap, including zipping all of my game's resources and sending them to somebody. I think Shadow Master offered some time last year, but I forgot all about it until it was far too late. If anyone can help me at all, it would be greatly appreciated and I would no doubt be able to finish this mod sooner rather than later.

Also, stay tuned to this thread for an eventual sneak preview of what lies in our hero's future. This adventure ends with the game, but more mystery and mayhem is just around the corner!

EDIT: This is what I mean by hashing and noise, if you can't picture it:
"I know what I am doing here with my collection of papers, for crying out loud. It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me, but to a collector it is worth a fortune; it is priceless." - Dutch Schultz
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Garg, there's still the problem... :( The only way I could possibly do something would be to have the whole mod folder and see.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

I can totally hook you up with the full, unmodified contents of my mod folder if that's what you need. At my first opportunity, which may well be within a few minutes, I can have it zipped and on my webspace for your perusal. Even if it can't fix the problem, at least it'll give an interesting insight into unused/prototype/etc. kind of stuff I still have kicking around there.
"I know what I am doing here with my collection of papers, for crying out loud. It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me, but to a collector it is worth a fortune; it is priceless." - Dutch Schultz
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yes, that'd help if you could do that... So, do that, and then PM me the address. I'd rather not see anything yet as the mod isn't released, but I garging want this one released one day so I have to try and see if I can find something wrong. I try not to look at the actual art and stuff so that I'd understand what I'm seeing.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

Alright, it's been uploaded. Expect a PM within a few moments. Thanks for the generous offering of help, KR--I really appreciate it. Even if you don't look at the art and the workings up to it and whatnot, I think that once it's been released that I will post the prototype stuff and whatnot that I've got lying around so that people can get a somewhat unseen look into the process of designing the game.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks, got it... Let's see, now... 8)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

This mod has the best graphics I've seen for a long time, I just can't wait to play it! :drool Anyways, about this problem...

I took a blank new Keen 1 folder and extracted its graphics and replaced them with the graphics you gave, and then imported it all back with modkeen32, and I didn't get any problems at all. :confused So perhaps you should do that too, and if that doesn't help, then the problem is caused by something else.
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

I've tried that. Have you gotten a Game Over in your test run after doing so? What happened when I did that (or something just like it) is that it moved the noise and hashing to the Game Over image and the high score table graphics.

EDIT: Well, actually, your version is slightly different than what I did, I think. I believe I may have actually re-extracted a new folder from The Ian Burton Adventure and used Modkeen32 to put it back together... your version of the process may actually be different enough to solve the issues with the Game Over stuff.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Didn't try that... So I just tried it now. Nope, still no problems, everything working 100% alright. In the files you gave me the Game Over picture is unchanged, have you perhaps modified that and it causes some problems?

Edit: Now seeing your edit of post... Yes, try to do exactly what I did and see what happens... Good luck! :yorp
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

Argh, what the hell? It didn't even fix the noise this time around. It just repeated the same results I was getting with Modkeen 2.0.1, same noise on the same trees! What could be doing this??

EDIT: I'm going to take a wild guess and point my finger at either the patches or the tile info, since you would have neither of these things in a clean copy. Is this possible? If so, how do I fix it?

EDIT #2: No, commenting out the tile info related stuff in the patches did nothing to remove hashing on the Game Over graphics in the "fixed" version I first produced with Modkeen32 1.0...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Or then it's some other patch... But most likely it's something else... Do exactly this:
1. Download ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/1keen.zip and install it.
2. Copy modkeen32 into that folder and extract the art.
3. Then copy the art you gave me there, replace files.
4. Import.
5. Run the game and test. Don't copy your patches or other stuff here yet, just run the normal game. If something's wrong with your new graphics now I can't understand it. :confused
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

Doing exactly as you said fixed the graphics! That means that either I am good from here on out, or something sinister lies ahead in bringing the rest of my materials (story, levels, patches, etc.) over to this folder. Will update when I know.

EDIT: AHA! Putting my patches and tile info back in causes hashing on the Game Over graphics! There is something amiss here!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

It could be something freaky patch (especially some older LevelLord patches, they might cause all kinds of unwanted effects), or the tileinfo. But glad to hear the problem has been located at least a bit. It could be the tileinfo, if I remember correct it once messed something for me too. Take copy of your tileinfo file and make a new tileinfo file (import data from Keen 1 exe) and try if that works.
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

Commenting out the tile info in the patching seems to leave the awful hash marks, implying that it must indeed be one of the patches that's doing the damage. But which, and why?
Herry Jerry
Vortininja

Post by Herry Jerry »

You could comment out every single patch in the patchfile, and then decomment them one by one, until you reach one that messes up your graphics.

(also, can't wait for this to come out, the keenrush-supplied screenshot looks really, really cool)