MrBlackPack v4 beta

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
MrBlack
Vortininja

MrBlackPack v4 beta

Post by MrBlack »

Beta release for my Keen 4 level pack! I say beta because two levels haven't been touched yet (secret level and Well of Wishes).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22195447/MrBlackPack.zip

It's designed such that easy will give you a nice feel for the levels and scenery, normal is normal and hard is for those who want a challenge once they've finished.

One important thing to remember is that each level has 1 Ice Cream and 1 Lifewater Flask! The Ice Cream will usually be visible in a dangerous spot but the Flask could be anywhere ;) you haven't completed the pack until you've collected them all!

Enjoy!

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Re: MrBlackPack v4 beta

Post by Keening_Product »

MrBlack wrote:you haven't completed the pack until you've collected them all!
Oooh, a challenge. You're on Mr!

Have you added those to the unmodified levels too?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
MrBlack
Vortininja

Re: MrBlackPack v4 beta

Post by MrBlack »

Keening_Product wrote:
MrBlack wrote:you haven't completed the pack until you've collected them all!
Oooh, a challenge. You're on Mr!

Have you added those to the unmodified levels too?
I have not

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

MrBlack wrote:What did you think of the Flasks?
I like the 1 lifewater flask / 1 ice cream cone availability you had set up in the levels. Like you said, it prevents people from storing up 20+ extra lives and ridiculously high scores by going into the level, getting the items, dying, and then going back in repeatedly, basically using any of the levels as a storehouse.

As for the placement of the flasks themselves, some were easy to find and others were a little trickier. My favorite flask to go after was in Level 16 - Fire Island. You might find it interesting that while I was just goofing off, I found a way to reach this flask without activating the goplat (activated by a well concealed switch) or by opening the blue gemdoor!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Syllypryde wrote: As for the placement of the flasks themselves, some were easy to find and others were a little trickier. My favorite flask to go after was in Level 16 - Fire Island. You might find it interesting that while I was just goofing off, I found a way to reach this flask without activating the goplat (activated by a well concealed switch) or by opening the blue gemdoor!
Did you use the Bounder to get through the roof to the pole?

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Yes I did, but that way is risky because if you miss jumping on the bounder, which is very easy to do since he jumps around at random, you can die in the fire. Or if you are on the bounder and he bounces you towards the council member, you finish the level and miss getting the flask. Your intended means to grab the flask is the better way to go.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Syllypryde wrote:Yes I did, but that way is risky because if you miss jumping on the bounder, which is very easy to do since he jumps around at random, you can die in the fire. Or if you are on the bounder and he bounces you towards the council member, you finish the level and miss getting the flask. Your intended means to grab the flask is the better way to go.
More to the point you'd never bother trying that out unless you already got the Flask the intended way in the first place :P

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

This is just wonderful. As CK4 has always been my favorite Keen, I've been looking forward to a new (challenging) levelpack for years. The idea of the Ice Cream / Life Flask is great. It is exactly the challenge I was missing in the original CK4 levels.

Shame I will not have a lot of time to play until this summer, but I cannot wait to do so!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

I may try it now, at least for a bit.

Regarding the ZIP file: Is it just me, the "unzip" tool here (running Ubuntu 12.04 for x86_64), or the ZIP has two copies of the same maphead.ck4 file? :O

At least, the archive could still be extracted with any choice of maphead.ck4. (The file-roller GUI app doesn't seem to like it, but command-line unzip works.)

EDIT: I've just tried it now. Right on the beginning of "The Outpost", you can finish the level by jumping a bit and going to the right. I guess that shortcut should've been removed?

EDIT 2: Here is another(?) minor glitch :). After using the yellow gem in the "Lost Tunnels", one of the ceiling-mounted Spears is a bit glitchy.

EDIT 3: Guess that I may add a few more things from now on :)
Won't add more "EDIT" keywords...

As you start in "The Pipeline", go down to the bottom, and then begin to move to the right. Eventually, you'd see a pole that appears to be broken (a tile glitch).
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Regarding the ZIP file: Is it just me, the "unzip" tool here (running Ubuntu 12.04 for x86_64), or the ZIP has two copies of the same maphead.ck4 file?
Hmm, indeed there are. I guess it was my mistake when I put together the zip folder and hosted it for Mr. Black :o I deleted one of the maphead files. Hopefully the game should still work fine for everyone.

I haven't had time to thoroughly play through the pack, but I've enjoyed quite a lot of what I've played so far. Several levels have some very creative themes and design, which are the things I like to see most in mods. There are lots of neat ideas everywhere. Though some of the level designs can be overly simple in places, some of them are also quite complex and clever. My only criticism is that some of the levels/graphic integration gets a bit sloppy in certain places, especially in the cave/water sections.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Gridlock wrote:
Regarding the ZIP file: Is it just me, the "unzip" tool here (running Ubuntu 12.04 for x86_64), or the ZIP has two copies of the same maphead.ck4 file?
Hmm, indeed there are. I guess it was my mistake when I put together the zip folder and hosted it for Mr. Black :o I deleted one of the maphead files. Hopefully the game should still work fine for everyone.
Ah, I see. Good that it has been corrected :).

*** POSSIBLE SPOILERS WARNING***
*** POSSIBLE SPOILERS WARNING***

Well, I've played up to "The Corridor" so far (same numeric order as for the vanilla Keen4 levels, although the BWB has been the first one to visit). Liked the new ways tiles are mixed, like the water in the Lost Tunnels and The Pipeline. This includes the varying color used for the poles in The Pipeline...figured out only as I've got to the end of the level :o

And now, of course... a few more bugs? :)

- Frozen Fortress: Is the yellow gem required?
- Frozen Fortress: The tops of the poles near and above the yellow gem gate are a bit glitchy. (Try climbing down on one of the poles from above, just a bit near it.)
- Newville: Use the blue gem, go through the opening. Go back through the same opening. Keen stands a bit to the left now. In a way, it's alright, though. Just less common, I guess :).
- Sandy Str: Is the blue gem required?
- Sandy Str: Near one of the poles to the outside, right above the roof-floor there are hidden minor "poles": Basically invisible(?) tiles with the "Pole" tile properly.
- Duality: **POSSIBLE SPOILERS WARNING** As you get through one top door from the desert "dual" to the icy "dual", you can see the desert ground on the top of the map...
I can see it may be problematic to fix, though. (Could having one dual to the right of the other, rather than below it, help?)
- Slug Lake: Incomplete water background. (Background tiles behind spikes are missing.)

Alright, I'm done with these bugs...at least for now :P
Congrats on the pack!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

NY00123 wrote:.........Frozen Fortress: Is the yellow gem required?.........
- Sandy Str: Is the blue gem required?.........
The yellow gem is not required because by using the impossible pogo you can reach the fading ice edge above. On easy, the red as well as the yellow gem are not required because when you go right at the top of the fortress you can use the impossible pogo to jump to the top and go get the blue gem then climb down to the room where the the blue and red gemholder doors are and then go through the blue gem door to get to the council member.

The blue gem is not required on easy if you go to top and dodge the two Berkeloids and the spikes, but since this is very difficult, you are better off getting the blue gem.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Syllypryde wrote:
NY00123 wrote:.........Frozen Fortress: Is the yellow gem required?.........
- Sandy Str: Is the blue gem required?.........
The yellow gem is not required because by using the impossible pogo you can reach the fading ice edge above. On easy, the red as well as the yellow gem are not required because when you go right at the top of the fortress you can use the impossible pogo to jump to the top and go get the blue gem then climb down to the room where the the blue and red gemholder doors are and then go through the blue gem door to get to the council member.

The blue gem is not required on easy if you go to top and dodge the two Berkeloids and the spikes, but since this is very difficult, you are better off getting the blue gem.
Ah, I think I should've made myself clearer: I've rather meant that the two gems I've mentioned are indeed not required - and on Hard.
Oh, and yes: While it may not be recommended, I've begun playing on Hard right away...with in-level saving, though.

EDIT: Alright, I guess that a few more bug reports are expected to come :).

Here is the first for this post:
(*VANILLA KEEN SPOILERS WARNING*)
In "Arachnut Lair", let Keen stand on a moon picture residing on some floor. When Keen is expected to moon, the game crashes with the message: "RF_PlaceSprite: Placed an uncached sprite:519"
After a little investigation, I've found out what should solve this: Put icon/sprite number 75 (hex $4B) somewhere in the map.

EDIT 2: And here, I've completed all of the new levels! Done on "Hard" difficulty with in-level saving.
I don't have much time to report at the moment, so I'd just say again: I've liked some of the new things.
(***SPOILERS WARNING***)
These Berkeloids are more common than in vanilla Keen 4 and do add to the challenge... at least on Hard.

I'd add a few more reports for "The Tarpit":
- Maybe more of a personal opinion (also relevant to a few more levels like Duality (spoiler?)):
It's more natural if you can't touch the "ceiling" (where it's an open area). It's a bit hard to complain when... well, well I've done exactly the same thing, though :o.
- Enter the house near the exit, go to the left - and you see some ground (and tar) tiles. I guess it's a bit problematic to fix that with the borders.
- In the area where you obtain the ice cream, look above and you see pure black. Look below and you see ground right below the tar. Also go to the very left and you find some more of the pure black.
- Finally (*SPOILER WARNING?*)... Well, "CHEATER" or "CHEATR"? :) (Also, if you're asking, then I've checked all letters only after completing the pack, using cheats obviously... However, this typo can be seen with no cheats.)

Furthermore, it's true there are some unreported cases of graphical glitches that can be corrected, like background tiles hiding behind floor/ceiling tiles (e.g. in "The Tarpit", within a house or to).

*** YET ANOTHER (FINAL?) EDIT ***
Looks like I've found out how to solve the uncached sprite issue. I've edited the original portion of the post so it has the solution now.

Thanks for the level pack!
NY
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Considering the recent inactivity within the Keen forums hinted by at least one user, maybe I'd ask...

Is there anybody who has played the level pack or is currently playing it, having something to comment?
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

NY00123 wrote:Is there anybody who has played the level pack or is currently playing it, having something to comment?
Aw fiddlesticks, I should probably do a "Let's Play Mr. Black's Level Pack!" eh? I played two or three levels a few days ago, and I really like it, especially the Berkeloid placements.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!