CK Guy's Keen 5 Level Pack

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
wildrooster
Vortininja

Post by wildrooster »

tl:dr

Did anyone find the secret passage mentioned in the readme?
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I found the secret level. Not a passage.
sbartus
Vortininja

Post by sbartus »

I downloaded the release 5 of this level pack and unpacked it. Then I copied every file from original Keen 5 to the folder with the level pack. I opened the ck55.bat file with DOSbox and I got a message "Unrecognized version of KEEN5E.EXE". What should I do?
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

You propably have your Keen 5 exe named as KEEN5.exe without the "E" at the end. I got the same message before I realized I had the exe named wrongly this way.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
sbartus
Vortininja

Post by sbartus »

No, I have a file named "KEEN5E.EXE".
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Do you have Keen version 1.4? You can download it at bipship.com in the Keen Collective.
sbartus
Vortininja

Post by sbartus »

Yay, it works. I had the 1.0 version of Keen 5. Thanks for advice.
sbartus
Vortininja

Post by sbartus »

The pack looks very promising so far, but I got stuck in the first level. I did everything what I could in the "green" part of the level to the right but I somehow cannot access the red part on the left, where shooters and a schockhound are.
On the leftmost part of the level, thre are two identical switches, one above another, activating blue platforms. I abosolutely cannot get to the upper one, both from above - jumping down or from below by impossible pogo. Is this the reason? What should I do?

Regards,
Szymon
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I think someone mentioned that you actually need to cheat to get through that level.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Yar, the levels are creative and well done, but I dislike the unbelievable difficulty (just take a glimpse of the pole-hazard area at the top of level 2 and you'll know what I mean) and mazes/puzzles (first level) that drive you mad.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Nospike wrote:I think someone mentioned that you actually need to cheat to get through that level.
In at least one version of the levelpack, there is a bug where a switch does not activate a bridge like it is supposed to. On easy, you can still get across because the gap is small. On normal or hard you cannot get across without cheating.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
sbartus
Vortininja

Post by sbartus »

In level two you can get to a secret area by entering a door hidden just above the starting place in that level. My problem is (was, because I omitted that part) that I cannot exit this area. It contains little more than poles hanging over "nothing". Is this a trap, so you have to kill yourself?

Regards,
Szymon
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Szymon Bartus wrote:In level two you can get to a secret area by entering a door hidden just above the starting place in that level. My problem is (was, because I omitted that part) that I cannot exit this area. It contains little more than poles hanging over "nothing". Is this a trap, so you have to kill yourself?

Regards,
Szymon
You can leave this room by way of a hidden door. Plus have fun collecting all the Keg O' Vitalins in this level. There are 11 of them!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
sbartus
Vortininja

Post by sbartus »

In my version, the levels Layer Zero Defense and Power Supply Center are exactly the same. Is this how it should be?

Regards
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

The small screen-wide levels with spindreds, a cannon and a sparky are unfinished levels. CK Guy put them in and will replace them with new, full levels sometime in the next releases. There are about four or five of them, I think.