Mac Version

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
pizza2004
Vortininja

Mac Version

Post by pizza2004 »

I'm really sorry for my absence as you released the past 2 versions and I'll try better to release Mac versions as you do. As it stands, I finally got on Github and downloaded the new version of the repository. The main reason I didn't update was simply because I didn't feel like getting a new copy.

Anyway, I will start building new versions again, but I can't build for Power PC processors anymore, so new versions will only run on Intel processors, it has to do with the latest version of Apple's software, and is completely out of my control. I also can't guarantee support for any version of OSX less than Lion, but it will probably work on Snow Leopard too at the very least, and hopefully as far back as Tiger, but I'm not certain of that.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Hi Pizza,

glad to see you again and helping me at some code.

You might have noticed that I removed some of your great ideas in your menu framework. I needed to do that to get the new mouse driven menu into that, but rest assured that those concepts will go back even before v0.4 is released.

About Power PC, well there are older CG versions which work. Apple won't support it because it's old. Use the most recent version, that alright, we have to move forward.

Other than that, thanks again! :)
Having fun developing stuff...
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I hope to see a version on December 23rd. The haven't been a version for Mac since a long time.

Would be sad if I had to say, there is no Mac release of Commander Genius
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Oh hey, sorry, I've been busy, I moved to a new state and got a girlfriend, have been trying to find a job and spending a good amount of my spare time working with my father in order to make money. I'm home now for Christmas, but when I get a spare minute I'll try downloading everything and building it on Mac to see if it will run. If I can get it running I'll upload a version. Sorry for not being around much, life gets really hectic once you're not in High School anymore.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Well, I updated all the files, updated the project file and tried building it and it just gave me a ton of errors. I'll see what I can do to fix them, but it might take a little bit before I'm able to get it to build on Mac.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

pizza2004 wrote:Well, I updated all the files, updated the project file and tried building it and it just gave me a ton of errors. I'll see what I can do to fix them, but it might take a little bit before I'm able to get it to build on Mac.
Why don't you just post the errors you get or send me an email in case you get too much trouble. I'm pretty sure I can help you on this.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Well, it was having some sort of error with cstdint, and looking online told me that Mac doesn't seem to have that for some reason, but I haven't gotten much time to look into it yet.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

cstdint, I don't remind having used it, but maybe replacing it by <stdint.h> wherever it points might help?

Pretty sure it is supported some way, because otherwise there wouldn't be any console apps.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I'm starting to think, that this version is dead. Too bad really. Maybe someone else wants to take over that port. Otherwise there won't be a Mac port.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

I'm getting like a million different nonsensical bugs when I try to build it on Mac and I can't figure out why. What version of GCC do you use? Near as I can tell all I've got is 4.2.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

It would seem that the culprit could possibly be that I'm running an old version of Xcode. Let me update and see if that fixes anything.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Why don't you just report the issues as you get them here or at github?

GCC 4.2 is too old indeed. C++11 is now used and I think 4.5 is what you should have at least.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Well, I'll see if it's even possible to get that on Mac, if not then this may indeed be dead.

Edit: Hmm... it seems that in the latest version of MacOSX they've removed GCC entirely and are now using Clang. I'm not sure if that will work, but I'm going to try getting a newer version of that than was included and see if that sorts out the issue.

Edit 2: I don't report the issues because there are around 400 of them.

Edit 3: I believe I may have found the problem. It would seem that C++11 features are only supported on OSX Mountain Lion and Lion. Which means anyone running 10.6 or lower will no longer be supported. On the plus side, there are very few people running those older systems, and this at least allows us to have a version that runs on the latest OS.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Okay, I've uploaded a new build for Mac, although it would seem you've changed the current version to 1.1 Alpha 2, so it isn't 1.0 apparently.

2 things you need to do:
Update the download page to include a link to the new Mac verison.
Change the MacOS X (10.4 and later) next to it to say 10.7 rather than 10.4.

And I think we're good to go.

In other news it gave me 4 warnings. I fixed two of them and submitted them to the GIT repository, but the other two I'm not sure of, I'll put them here:

in CIMFPlayer.cpp line 141 it says:
for( uint32_t slot = audiohed.size()-2 ; slot>=0 ; slot-- )

Xcode keeps telling me the slot>=0 is unnecessary because it's always true.

The other has something to do with the use of <ext/hash_set> somewhere in the source code and tells me to use <unordered_set> instead.

Edit: Also, this is a 32bit binary as for some reason SDL, Ogg, and Vorbis don't support 64 bit on Mac. I don't think there's anything I can do fix this, so unfortunately unless we find a way around this it's not going to work in 64bit on Mac OSX.

Edit 2: Well, I was able to find the code for and compile 64 bit versions of all of the frameworks. And am now able to compile the game in 64 bit! It's no longer possible to compile it in 32 bit, but seeing as the minimum requirement of Lion only runs on 64 bit computers anyway I'm golden! I'm uploading the new file now.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

pizza2004 wrote:Okay, I've uploaded a new build for Mac, although it would seem you've changed the current version to 1.1 Alpha 2, so it isn't 1.0 apparently.

2 things you need to do:
Update the download page to include a link to the new Mac verison.
Change the MacOS X (10.4 and later) next to it to say 10.7 rather than 10.4.

And I think we're good to go.

In other news it gave me 4 warnings. I fixed two of them and submitted them to the GIT repository, but the other two I'm not sure of, I'll put them here:

in CIMFPlayer.cpp line 141 it says:
for( uint32_t slot = audiohed.size()-2 ; slot>=0 ; slot-- )

Xcode keeps telling me the slot>=0 is unnecessary because it's always true.

The other has something to do with the use of <ext/hash_set> somewhere in the source code and tells me to use <unordered_set> instead.

Edit: Also, this is a 32bit binary as for some reason SDL, Ogg, and Vorbis don't support 64 bit on Mac. I don't think there's anything I can do fix this, so unfortunately unless we find a way around this it's not going to work in 64bit on Mac OSX.

Edit 2: Well, I was able to find the code for and compile 64 bit versions of all of the frameworks. And am now able to compile the game in 64 bit! It's no longer possible to compile it in 32 bit, but seeing as the minimum requirement of Lion only runs on 64 bit computers anyway I'm golden! I'm uploading the new file now.
I have put tags in github.

With "git checkout <tagname>" it is possible to get the 1.0 Release. But well, there is still time until the next release. We might as well also wait. I will put that link to the webpage soon, but Release 1.0 would have been better.

The CIMFPlayer warning is critical, I just fixed it. That's why it is called Alpha

Thanks for the great work!