Help understanding CK's sources: separated video thread?

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
vanfanel
Meep

Help understanding CK's sources: separated video thread?

Post by vanfanel »

hi there,

I need some help with CK.

I've hacked a simple KMS backend for SDL 1.2, and it uses double buffering in my SDL_Flip implementation. What's more, it has a delay in SDL_Flip that waits for the flipping event to finish, in order to avoid tearing.
However, after I chose CK as a test case to polish this backend, I found some facts that have me keep wondering...

If I leave g_pTimer->TimeToDelay(), that call introduces some more delay in the game's main loop that, as a side effect, frees the cpu when there's time left after processing events and graphics in the current loop: in other words, it prevents "fast wild looping" in the game's main loop that would cause 100% CPU to be used. BUT since I introduced my own delay for each frame (in the SDL_Flip() implementation), this extra delays causes the game to miss vblanks, so it runs with less FPS than it should.

Well, my SDL_Flip() function does precissely that, too, but if I disable g_pTimer->TimeToDelay() call, I still get 100% CPU usage, wich shouldn't happen since as I said my SDL_Flip() implementation would block the program for the time remaining to the 16ms, when the "flipping complete" event takes place.

So I was wondering: does g_pVideoDriver run in a separate thread? That would explain why, even if I have the delay in the function SDL_Flip() called by g_pVideoDriver->updateScreen(), the main game loop runs like crazy and still takes 100% CPU.
If it's true, where's that thread launched? Is it at g_pVideoDriver->start() ?
How? I can't see anything in g_pVideoDriver->start() mentioning threads or the SDL fnx to manage them.

I'd like to discuss these sources more in-depth so I entered the IRC channel, but it seems to be pretty dead these days...
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

hi vanfanel,

I have been on vacations lately. Please be patient, I'll visit IRC very soon so we can talk about the source.
Having fun developing stuff...
ysangkok
Meep

KMS SDL backend

Post by ysangkok »

I'd like to use this KMS SDL backend of yours. Any chance of open sourcing it? I see you're on Github, I'm sure it would be useful for others too. Maybe you would consider putting it on there?
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Well, then just use it and mention us. The code is free and available on the Github.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Dunno why have I thought of this only now but... guess it is a coincidence!
To the few random visitors who may be interested, looks like the KMS backend has been uploaded (very) recently.

Forum post: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=25146
GitHub page: https://github.com/vanfanel/SDL12-kms-dispmanx
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Very interesting