Version 1.0 Beta 4 and 5

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Version 1.0 Beta 4 and 5

Post by gerstrong »

Well, more than two months have passed and a lot happened to CG.

Yeah, I also am planning to cut off the zero, as I'm starting to think that the coming builds are getting pretty stable and having that zero, not sure if it's worthy. Spelling the version is... I don't like to do it that way.

Anyways. The beta is coming, I might make it RC, not sure yet. There are missing features still, but Keen 4 is very playable and some Keen 5 are also starting to work.

Changes since Beta 3:

- More Keen 5 support. Elevators (on map) and some Platforms are now working. Exit Door also trigger the exit level event now. Support got much better.
- About 20 collision bug have been fixed providing a better experience
- New transition effects
- Better Timer, faster code.
- New Scalers (Thanks to NY00123 for deep research)
- Aspect Correction (Also thanks to NY00123)
- Vertical Blockers now also work in any map.
- The Readme has been updated and explains better the mission of CG. You can also read that on Github for those who are interested and might want to discuss it on IRC or whereever you find me.
- Flying Foot is in!
- Inchworms are in!
- Keen 7 mod Support. I think fully, as far I can see (Great Mod Ceilick)
- New Item effects
- Better playability in the underwater Level.
- More general effects
- Better Enemy AIs although some still need more work.

I think with those additions I can say Commander Keen 4 is fully playable on this version and much more enjoyable than ever. Fully in this case means all levels, including the world map, the levels, the bwb-rocket, the secret area, the underwater level.

So stay tuned. I'm ironing out some remaining main issues and will push a version pretty soon.

Special thanks in advance to NY00123 who helped a lot this time ironing out some graphical issues and making CG a bit faster.

As usual it was done with love and dedication ;-)

CG v4.0 Release? I don't know. More elements of Keen still have to work or you convince me of something else, fanboy... :)
Last edited by gerstrong on Fri Oct 19, 2012 18:06, edited 2 times in total.
Having fun developing stuff...
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

So, no opinion? Hmm...
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I've currently got too much going on in my life, what with moving and starting studying again, so I didn't even notice until today. I know I've been finding excuses for quite a while now for not really doing anything for this project, but rest assured I'll be back on it as soon as I'm settled a bit again.
I'm happy to see it's worked on, and I'm interested in testing how Keen 7 willl run!
Image You crack me up little buddy!
AST
Grunt

Post by AST »

Sorry I only got to download the latest version over the weekend. Work has kept me busy.

The Keen4 support is great it is well and truley playable.

Thanks for all the time and effort you have been putting in it is appreciated.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Thanks guys, good to know some still live :-)

Anyway I decided to call it version 1.0 but still as beta. It's more a drop of digits, because I recently have seen that porters of CG really get confused. So having that line of version hopefully will fix up that issue.

I didn't get run the Windows version well, and had to look for some bugs. I think the performance by fixing those got even better. I'm preparing for Version 1.0 Beta 4!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Well, it's out.

Take your flavor:

http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/download
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I don't know men. Keen 4 is freaking slow on my pc while Keen 1 is somewhat ok. I'm talking win7 64bit. And why should I press esc to enter the menu and basically press esc to get rid of every window? Why in the menu there is a position where nothing is highlighted? Why fps-es are not shown even though they are on by default? And the numeric pad is not set to work. I thought ok, this is something minor, but when I went to readjust all the keys, even that was feaking impossible because you have to press enter several times to make something assigned, and then you make enter assigned the wrong key by mistake whereas you want to assign a different key and omg - that was annoying.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

wiivn wrote:I don't know men. Keen 4 is freaking slow on my pc while Keen 1 is somewhat ok. I'm talking win7 64bit. And why should I press esc to enter the menu and basically press esc to get rid of every window? Why in the menu there is a position where nothing is highlighted? Why fps-es are not shown even though they are on by default? And the numeric pad is not set to work. I thought ok, this is something minor, but when I went to readjust all the keys, even that was feaking impossible because you have to press enter several times to make something assigned, and then you make enter assigned the wrong key by mistake whereas you want to assign a different key and omg - that was annoying.
Well, men. I tested just now on another older Windows 7 PC (64-Bit with Intel Duo 2,0 Ghz and 1.0 GB RAM integrated graphics) and had no issues at all. I have to admit using 60 fps makes it slow and I need to check this out. Try using 70 fps until I get that fixed. At least on that system it ran perfectly smooth.

I will test it on an older Machine as soon I get hands on one.

Now to your mentioned issues:

The site for that is not the forum but this: https://github.com/gerstrong/Commander-Genius/issues

But well, the topic talked about the version so the joke is on me.

There is still one thing and there I cannot discuss much. If you have things to annoy and sluggish gameplay or whatever issue, please make your critics more productive.

Sentences like "It's slow" and "It doesn't work" won't help me, because I tested it and be sure it works fine on my system.

So please provide me your configuration "CGenius.cfg" and what PC you have in order to hunt down your bugs. Otherwise I have to ignore them and surely you don't want that. I know it pisses off, when something doesn't work. I feel the same way as you on other software.

But please keep in mind that CG gets most of the care by me, a lot of members of the team have let me down, which is sad, but I accept it. I really try to make this engine as good as possible, and on my system and others of my friends which also test it, it runs fine.

So whoever reports in the wrong place here the bugs or on the right place, please give me information I can work with and do me a favor doing the same with other software you encounter those problems. The developers will appreciate it a lot. At least people like me.

The reassignment of the keys might work strange because the frame-skipping on your system seems to be high. Nevertheless, the next version will get that fixed, because those options need rework!

Design choice about pressing ESC for whatnot, was discussed some time ago, you could have given your opinion. Menu opens and closes pressing ESC or the menu key you assigned. A window can also be closed by pressing a jump button and the menu can be driven by the mouse.

Yeah, those issues are minor and we have many more I know about. It's a beta. Bugs are still expected to be seen.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

After seeing some issues with Keen 7 I decided to push another Beta right away.

Have fun!