Commander Keen episode -3: Billy Blaze

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
cyber zero
Vortininja

Commander Keen episode -3: Billy Blaze

Post by cyber zero »

Hello.
First of all, sorry about my English, since I'm Portuguese.
This will be the first game of a trilogy that me and my brother are making.
The second will be episode -2 and the third will be episode -1.

This trilogy will be a prequel of the Keen games, and will be about the last time that Billy Blaze and Mortimer Macmire will face each other before they become Commander Keen and the grand Intellect.
There is still much to be done. We just started doing some background stuff, so don't mind that in the video bellow.
That video is just to show the slingshot and the stairs instead of poles, since it will be a earth mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yThrmNRD ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpef5spI ... e=youtu.be

Some pics in early development.

Last edited by cyber zero on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:43, edited 2 times in total.
fantomx11
Vortininja

Re: Commander Keen episode -2: Billy Blaze

Post by fantomx11 »

This looks pretty cool. I love the Keen sprites
My keyboard has no caps lock. It has a BRIAN BLESSED button!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

cyber zero wrote:Hello.
First of all, sorry about my English, since I'm Portuguese.
This will be the first game of a trilogy that me and my brother are making.
The second will be episode -1 and the third will be episode 0.

This trilogy will be a prequel of the Keen games, and will be about the last time that Billy Blaze and Mortimer Macmire will face each other before they become Commander Keen and the grand Intellect.
There is still much to be done. We just started doing some background stuff, so don't mind that in the video bellow.
That video is just to show the slingshot and the stairs instead of poles, since it will be a earth mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yThrmNRD ... e=youtu.be
I'm afraid I have plans with Keen 0, so sorry, but too late, since: you are trying to make Keen 0, I want to make as well, but there's a Keen 0 by Elecdude33. Since my Keen 0 idea would have story, new enemies, etc. that's why I want to make a REAL Keen 0(REAL = new enemies, graphics, story, etc.)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Nice work! I like the poles being replaced with a narrow ladder. I thought of doing that. For your sling shot, I would recommend using the following patch that Lass shared with me (hope she don't mind):

Code: Select all

#Keen shoots in an arc not a line:
#Set up shot to have h and v speeds
%patch $E59E $C7 $47 $0E $0001W
%patch $E5A7 $C7 $47 $10 $0001W
#Shot speeds:
%patch $E5CB $C7 $47 $16 $0000W
#Up
%patch $E5D0 $C7 $47 $18 $FFB4W
%patch $E5DB $C7 $47 $16 $0030W
#Right
%patch $E5E0 $C7 $47 $18 $FFE8W
%patch $E5EB $C7 $47 $16 $0000W
#Down
%patch $E5F0 $C7 $47 $18 $0020W
%patch $E5FB $C7 $47 $16 $FFC0W
#Left
%patch $E600 $C7 $47 $18 $FFE8W
#Change shot actions to work like Berkeloid shots, leaves three frames free
%patch $305A8 $00B1W $00B1W $00B1W $0000W $0000W $0002W $0000W $0000W
              $09DC16E5RL   $00000000L    $0D8F0E32RL   $1738W
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
cyber zero
Vortininja

Post by cyber zero »

szemi:
I think that's ok.
Like there are multiple versions of the universe is toast, there also could be others versions of a Keen 0. But one it will be my version and other it will be yours.
I already have too much planed for this trilogy to just drop it or change it.
But if your keen 0 isn't about Billy Blaze becoming the Commander Keen, then we could change ours to Episode -3, episode -2 and episode-1. Because our trilogy is about the Commander Keen Origins.

troublesomekeen:
Cool, thank you very much for that awesome patch.
I also hope she doesn't mind :)
fantomx11
Vortininja

Post by fantomx11 »

szemi wrote:I'm afraid I have plans with Keen 0, so sorry, but too late, since: you are trying to make Keen 0, I want to make as well, but there's a Keen 0 by Elecdude33. Since my Keen 0 idea would have story, new enemies, etc. that's why I want to make a REAL Keen 0(REAL = new enemies, graphics, story, etc.)
Please tell me you are joking. Cyber's Keen 0 has exactly as much right to Keen 0 as you do unless your name is Tom Hall. You can't call dibs on it and they are not mutually exclusive.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I agree with fantomx11.

And if I may make a suggestion for future game developments: Just drop the numbers. They aren't needed, they will conflict with other projects and they aren't even official games in the first place. Maybe silly numbers and negatives are okay on that front, but why not just make an excellent name like Atroxian Realm? Far more creative and fun.

As for the idea of a prequel: Excellent! Great idea!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Indeed, numbers are overrated.

Cool, thank you very much for that awesome patch.
I also hope she doesn't mind
Patches are meant to be shared. (I'm looking at YOU KeenRush!)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

cyber zero wrote:szemi:
I think that's ok.
Like there are multiple versions of the universe is toast, there also could be others versions of a Keen 0. But one it will be my version and other it will be yours.
I already have too much planed for this trilogy to just drop it or change it.
But if your keen 0 isn't about Billy Blaze becoming the Commander Keen, then we could change ours to Episode -3, episode -2 and episode-1. Because our trilogy is about the Commander Keen Origins.
Man, my Keen 0 is gonna be a Keen 1 mod, which is before Keen 1, so the beginning of Keen's adventure in the space(so it isn't about Billy Blaze becoming the Commander Keen since in my Keen 0 he is already Commander Keen).
Question: Do you want to rename your Keen 0 to Keen -3 after what I've told?
fantomx11 wrote:
szemi wrote:I'm afraid I have plans with Keen 0, so sorry, but too late, since: you are trying to make Keen 0, I want to make as well, but there's a Keen 0 by Elecdude33. Since my Keen 0 idea would have story, new enemies, etc. that's why I want to make a REAL Keen 0(REAL = new enemies, graphics, story, etc.)
Please tell me you are joking. Cyber's Keen 0 has exactly as much right to Keen 0 as you do unless your name is Tom Hall. You can't call dibs on it and they are not mutually exclusive.
Excuse me, then we should forget Keen -3, -2 and -1 as well, don't forget ;) So sorry, but I don't agree with you, because you aren't Tom Hall either. And it's cyber's right to decide if he renames his Keen 0 to Keen -3(so he allows me to make Keen 0 as I've told)

P.S. I have been planning (my) Keen 0 for a few years(about 2-3 approx) and not recently, but I couldn't make it earlier due to school!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Guess what? Someone has beaten me in actually showing the usage of a ladder as a replacement for the pole :O
[To the ones who wonder, sorry but no, I don't have anything like a MOD or level pack that I actually plan to work on now.]
But, well, I can see it's not just you cyber zero and me who have thought about that, but also troublesomekeen and probably more. Anyway, nice work so far.

Now, replying to you Szemi about messages like the following:
I have noticed that you seem to care about the Keen MOD numbering way more than others in a way, as you have raised that topic on at least two threads already. Maybe try and accept that the same number may be used for more than one modification/pack.

A good example is this... what is "Keen 8"? Well:
- Answer 1: It was planned to be a fan game, although there is a demo available here: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/List_of_fan-games
- Answer 2: Probably what often pops in someone's mind first: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Dead_in_the_Desert

I may count even more of these for "Keen 7": Two more planned fan games (listed on the above page of fan games), "Keen 7v", "Quick Basic Keen" (an attempt to clone Keen 4 also named Keen 7), "Keen 7: The Keys of Krodacia"; And, of course, this is how I originally referred to "Keen Dreams"... (Nowadays, though, I think that I refer to it as "Keen Dreams" first and "Keen 3.5" second.)
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

cyber zero: This looks amazing, hopefully you'll keep going with it. If you even need any sprites, I'm not horrible though I'm not too experienced with the EGA palette but I love setting palette restrictions for myself.

szemi: Please stop trying to pull rank and claim a title. It doesn't matter if two games have the same title as long as they're both good games (Not you mention they're most certainly going to have different subtitles). The whole "I've been planning this for two or three years" thing is really very childish. This:
I'm afraid I have plans with Keen 0, so sorry, but too late, since: you are trying to make Keen 0, I want to make as well, but there's a Keen 0 by Elecdude33. Since my Keen 0 idea would have story, new enemies, etc. that's why I want to make a REAL Keen 0(REAL = new enemies, graphics, story, etc.)

really steams me, as well, as from what I've seen, all your "new" graphics have been direct recolours of official commander keen sprites, or graphics "borrowed" from other modders. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, but it just seems like you should keep your own doorstep clean before trying to bully your way into getting what you want. Especially since you've already borrowed the name from elecdude, regardless of whether or not it is a "real" mod.
fantomx11
Vortininja

Post by fantomx11 »

NY00123 wrote:A good example is this... what is "Keen 8"? Well:
- Answer 1: It was planned to be a fan game, although there is a demo available here: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/List_of_fan-games
- Answer 2: Probably what often pops in someone's mind first: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Dead_in_the_Desert

I may count even more of these for "Keen 7": Two more planned fan games (listed on the above page of fan games), "Keen 7v", "Quick Basic Keen" (an attempt to clone Keen 4 also named Keen 7), "Keen 7: The Keys of Krodacia"; And, of course, this is how I originally referred to "Keen Dreams"... (Nowadays, though, I think that I refer to it as "Keen Dreams" first and "Keen 3.5" second.)
This is what I was trying to say by "they are not mutually exclusive."
szemi wrote:Excuse me, then we should forget Keen -3, -2 and -1 as well, don't forget Wink So sorry, but I don't agree with you, because you aren't Tom Hall either. And it's cyber's right to decide if he renames his Keen 0 to Keen -3(so he allows me to make Keen 0 as I've told)

P.S. I have been planning (my) Keen 0 for a few years(about 2-3 approx) and not recently, but I couldn't make it earlier due to school!
Well, in that case I call dibs on episode 314 and 315. NO ONE MAY EVER MAKE THOSE EPISODES BECAUSE THEY BELONG TO ME FROM NOW UNTIL ETERNITY. I CAN'T MAKE THEM JUST YET BECAUSE I WORK FULL TIME AND EXPECTING A BABY, BUT SOMETIME IN THE NEXT 30 YEARS I MIGHT MAKE A MOD. (also, my words have more weight than yours because they are bold and italic and BRIAN BLESSED.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

szemi wrote:Excuse me, then we should forget Keen -3, -2 and -1 as well, don't forget Wink So sorry, but I don't agree with you, because you aren't Tom Hall either. And it's cyber's right to decide if he renames his Keen 0 to Keen -3(so he allows me to make Keen 0 as I've told)

Well, in that case I call dibs on episode 314 and 315. NO ONE MAY EVER MAKE THOSE EPISODES BECAUSE THEY BELONG TO ME FROM NOW UNTIL ETERNITY. I CAN'T MAKE THEM JUST YET BECAUSE I WORK FULL TIME AND EXPECTING A BABY, BUT SOMETIME IN THE NEXT 30 YEARS I MIGHT MAKE A MOD. (also, my words have more weight than yours because they are bold and italic and BRIAN BLESSED.[/quote]

Really? We'll see who the Johnny is on the farm. ;) Anyway just because you have written with bold and italic font - which are "BRIAN BLESSED" - doesn't mean you are the boss here, doesn't mean you have told 100% truth, so don't go too far.

"NO ONE MAY EVER MAKE THOSE EPISODES BECAUSE THEY BELONG TO ME FROM NOW UNTIL ETERNITY." Just forget it, because this will never happen. And if you have so big community behaviour problems, go to the doctor, because that's free.
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

I know that this doesn't really add much to this thread, and I apologize, but ^ made me faceplam so hard, I think I broke my nose.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

biffstudly wrote:I know that this doesn't really add much to this thread, and I apologize, but ^ made me faceplam so hard, I think I broke my nose.
I have just wanted to say sorry for what has happened to the thread, too. Let's get back to discussing about the current MOD, in terms of its contents.