Valentine's Keen

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Valentine's Keen

Post by Levellass »

Happy New Year!

I say belatedly. Due to PCKF nonexistence this release has been delayed somewhat. Finally it is here, Valentine's Keen, a collaboration between the 'lass, the 'lick and the 'mart. (Oh and some other loser too who don't matter.)

It can be acquired here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... 20Keen.zip and comes in Para approved and para disapproved versions. (A seperate batch file runs censored graphics.)

This has been thoroughly alpha, beta and gamma tested, so you know it's bound to be riddled with bugs. (The worst is 'The mysterious Freeze' The only thing greater than its mystery is its frozen-ness.)

Aaaanyway...

Join Commander Keen on a quest to save Valentine's day from really bad things! Boasting 20 levels, a (neeeeaaarrrrlllyyy) original musical score, revamped graphics and 102KB of pure patching power (Say that six times fast!) it's a holiday mod like no other! Spread the love, try it now!

And of course report any bugs here, as long as they're not in the 'unsolvable issues' list. (Sigh.)

EDIT: Release 1.3 is out, hopefully free from all major bugs.
Last edited by Levellass on Sun May 08, 2016 6:25, edited 3 times in total.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

WHY? Why not on February 14th? You ruined everything! :lol
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

wiivn wrote:WHY? Why not on February 14th? You ruined everything! :lol
Yep! :lol (But seriously, the game is very cool. :))
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Is this Halloween Keen or Valentines Keen!? Awesome pumpkins! I'll be dashed if they aren't really orange. And Keen's wings look great, too! I feel like drawing up an Angel sprite set or a Valkyrie. Waaaaait a minute. The question should be is this Valentine Keen or Valkyrie Keen. Great gravy, this mod his burning holes in me pockets. Aurgh, this is a hard one. I must add "Be a more patient player" to my New Year's resolutions and maybe I'll have a chance at beating this mod.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Wow! Clearly a lot of modding went into this. Nice!

Yeah, it looks like Keen meets Monster Bash in a Halloween mod, nothin valentine. Besides, if it's February, it should be snowy, otherwise it looks like it's in Australia, but he's from usa.

Btw no cheats really? I got stuck in some places already, world map included + graphical bugs on every level.

And the second floor of his home :crazy lol.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Wow this is literally stunning. This is one of my ideal mod types - the exploration of real peoples' homes and living environments. I'm still exploring the game and I'll tell you about one issue I'm finding: I keep inadvertently exiting levels before I'm through exploring them. Like, I was in Keen's house and went out into some kind of back garden area to the left of the screen and he exited the level! And some of the doors/garden gates behave similarly.

(spoiler) Wow what happened with the 'Hexagram' (which is more like a pentagram really?!?) was stunning. Maybe a tad glitchy, I couldn't really move left - I guess that's not intended though.
Also... WOOF! Incredible!!

Everything is just so well patched - and the artwork is there to back it up.

The map is beautiful too. If I may say so myself it reminds me a little of the map in Bunny Basher 2. But anyway there has been a lot of talk about suburban mods over the past few years and this is surely the best manifestation of all this talk thus far!! Well done guys!
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

This is so extremely well done it's ridiculous. I'm blown away at least once every level.

Seriously, dem graphics. And the soundtrack is cool, too! I nearly died when the creepy music was replaced with "What is Love". :lol

The amount of work that has obviously gone into this is staggering. I wish I wasn't so tied up at the moment, or I would devote a lot of serious time toward beating this mod!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Yeah, it looks like Keen meets Monster Bash in a Halloween mod, nothin valentine. Besides, if it's February, it should be snowy, otherwise it looks like it's in Australia, but he's from usa.
I noticed this, which is why in the ending sequence I put in a piece of snowy art from Keen 1.

Btw no cheats really? I got stuck in some places already, world map included + graphical bugs on every level.
F10-M Sound test
F10-W Win game
F10-E Kill yourself
F10-G God Mode
F10-I Items
F10-J Jump
F10-Y Secrets

(spoiler)
Yeah, I wanted Hex, Para wanted Pent, so Pent won in the end. But 'cause I don't want to lose market share due to evangelical christians, it's hex all the way.

And remember kids, if you don't document bugs, Lass can't fix 'em!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I remain awe-stricken by your mod. Here are two bugs/glitches:

1) At the pink house on the first street, keen can get irreversibly stuck in the front garden if he messes around with the post box too much.

2) On penny lane, if you pogo/jump once then you will no longer be able to walk on the middle of the path, only 'on top of it'.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Benvolio wrote:I remain awe-stricken by your mod. Here are two bugs/glitches:

.........2) On penny lane, if you pogo/jump once then you will no longer be able to walk on the middle of the path, only 'on top of it'.
The roads and sidewalks are constructed like drop down ledges. Hit down and jump enough times and Keen will actually be at the other side of the street. However, other then cars, there is nothing on the other side of the street on Penny Lane or Bourke Street.

I found two serious bugs: Witch's Cottage is unplayable. As soon as Keen touches the first tree, the game immediately exits the level and sends Keen on a broom ride to the secret level (The Void) I assume.

The Old Shack is unsolvable. When you put the green key in the green lock that opens the door just before the hexagon and exit, an invisible door behind the real door opens instead. It is impossible to reach the exit.

Edit: There is a glitch at Tomb Hall. Basically, when you get past the green door at you are near th top middle of the level, the screen fades to black and the level starts all over again.
Last edited by Syllypryde on Sat Jan 05, 2013 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

11/10 mod.

lol'd @ haddaway
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

Oh my God, this is amazing! Monster Bash was one of my favourite oldschool DOS games, and to combine it with Keen in a brand-new setting is awesome. Plus, the little basement area with the DD flag and the MURKA made me laugh like a little girl irl. 10/10 would play again.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Fabulous! It's good to finally play the "completed" version, but I have to be perfectly honest, this mod hits soooooooo close, but a little bit more quality-control would have gone a long way. Don't get me wrong, as I said before, this is like a dream mod for me, but there's a lot of loose ends that needed to be tied, which would have been very beneficial to the release.
I regret not being more involved during the testing period. I suppose I could send you a bug list for the next edition. It would be nice to at least see the bugs that actually halt the gameplay removed.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Reuploaded to fix the more serious bugs. (I accidentally released the last gamma maps, not the actual completely debugged maps. Oh dear...)

2) On penny lane, if you pogo/jump once then you will no longer be able to walk on the middle of the path, only 'on top of it'.
Look down, press jump. It's how Keen gets down from one way up platforms. (This is however why WIE will not use multiple level streets like this, also, the perspective got a bit messy.)

I found two serious bugs: Witch's Cottage is unplayable. As soon as Keen touches the first tree, the game immediately exits the level and sends Keen on a broom ride to the secret level (The Void) I assume.
Aaah, there's the kind of bug I feared!

Don't get me wrong, as I said before, this is like a dream mod for me, but there's a lot of loose ends that needed to be tied, which would have been very beneficial to the release.
I regret not being more involved during the testing period. I suppose I could send you a bug list for the next edition. It would be nice to at least see the bugs that actually halt the gameplay removed.
Please do, any and all bugs should be reported forthwith, as well as any suggestions for improvement. I suspect I may have to go up to release 2.5 or higher to get everything right.

Edit: There is a glitch at Tomb Hall. Basically, when you get past the green door at you are near th top middle of the level, the screen fades to black and the level starts all over again.
I cannot reproduce this glitch. Does it happen on all difficulties? Do you lose a life? Does this occur in Old Shack or the Cavern (Which would make it a sprite error of an annoying kind.)
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Started playing this, looks great so far...
and then this cute little puppy starts hopping around me.. it was so cute... but I got curious...

so I looked at it... as it was hopping around... and my finger was on the fire button... and... and...

Oh lawd what have I done... :(

I've not yet encountered any bugs... (except for being... um... in the sink of the bathroom at Keen's house... I'd upload a pic if I could, but it looks as though he's embedded in the sink if you stand in front of it.... trivial design bug, but yeah....) but I'll keep you posted if I run into anything that hasn't been reported.