Can't Get Commander Genius to Recognize My Games

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
JenniBee
Meep

Can't Get Commander Genius to Recognize My Games

Post by JenniBee »

I have the Steam version of the Commander Keen games, and I've been trying to get them to work with Commander Genius to no avail.

I've tried copying them over to the keen2 and keen3 directories, copying them just to the games directory, and copying the base2 and base3 directories from Steam, but nothing is working.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. :)
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I've always had trouble getting Commander Genius working, especially on the Wii port. I usually just play them with DOSBox ignoring the shmancy features

I don't have the steam versions of keen, so I'm not sure how they're setup, but you might need the original keen games (for DOS) to get it working.

I think it needs all the ck(1-3) files in the same directory as Commander Genius, but I don't remember
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Re: Can't Get Commander Genius to Recognize My Games

Post by gerstrong »

JenniBee wrote:I have the Steam version of the Commander Keen games, and I've been trying to get them to work with Commander Genius to no avail.

I've tried copying them over to the keen2 and keen3 directories, copying them just to the games directory, and copying the base2 and base3 directories from Steam, but nothing is working.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. :)
Have you downloaded the bundled Windows version? On what system are you?

In the path were the executable is, create a directory called "games". For Keen1 you create a subdirectory "keen1" within "games" and so on. Fill those directories with the game data. CG should detect them. Otherwise something is wrong with the CG you have and I will do my best to fix it. Of course those directories need all the data of the game. So the full games has to be in that directory.

The dos versions all work and the Steam one just handles dosbox, so it is the same. You can use the Steam version of the Keen games to play them using CG.

And sorry, if some guys prefer dosbox. That is a matter of opinion.

The bundled version has Keen 1 and 4 in it, so after installing it you should see by those games how to setup the other episodes in order to play them.

Let me know if it helps. Keen 5 support is about the get released!!
Having fun developing stuff...
JenniBee
Meep

Re: Can't Get Commander Genius to Recognize My Games

Post by JenniBee »

Ah, I got it to work. I'm not sure what I did differently, but it's working fine now. Thanks for your help. :)

And I can't wait for Keen 5 support. Keep up the great work. I'm enjoying the program a lot. :D