Ok, my turn- my mod 'The Ruin of Roib'

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It's really amazing what you've done, even if you're sick of it by now. The level design, the graphics - wow. And not to mention the broccoli and the carrots lol. I would really like to see some of the whole levels extracted in a png.

I would suggest you to not change the world map completion method. That way is more fun. I found one junk level with lots of goodies there. It was one of those small levels you mentioned.

However, my main complain is that this mod is too damn hard. On top of that, the unintentional graphical glitches and crashes on almost all levels kinda ruins the experience. I know it's beta, but I hope you'll find a solution to these.

About the Keen itself. He's hilarious! I didn't know what you would come with as a character, but it exceeds my expectations. And you even preserve his smile. But I don't know why people are imagining older Keen to be fat alcoholic. It's definitely something not to expect happening from a kid with an IQ of 314 when grown up. But I guess that's the easiest way to make him look mature and to fit this wasteland-like field .
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

I had music cut off on level 2

And I have the game to totally freeze like 40 times on level 2
really? level 2? i thought that level was in good shape :/ does it freeze for any reason or when something particular happens? or is it seemingly random?

wiivn wrote:However, my main complain is that this mod is too damn hard.
ah crap i was worried about that. i played through the first 5 levels on normal and i found it to be okay. any particular level you found too hard?

P.S I havent tested the game all too much on hard mode, i mainly tested out normal mode. so if you're playing on hard mode, then it makes sense.

wiivn wrote:On top of that, the unintentional graphical glitches and crashes on almost all levels kinda ruins the experience. I know it's beta, but I hope you'll find a solution to these.
it crashes on nearly every level? really? :s thats a worry. like my top reply, is there anything in particlar that triggers it?

wiivn wrote: But I don't know why people are imagining older Keen to be fat alcoholic. It's definitely something not to expect happening from a kid with an IQ of 314 when grown up.
actually theres a bit of a stereotype of kid geniuses growning up to be messed up. maybe their parents put too much pressure on them or something. but the idea i was going with is that he isn't as good as he was as a kid, so i wanted him to be a loser of some sort.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Wow, this is incredible.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Now I looked at the enemies and it turns out one of these bugs to be intentional. The monster that crashes the game is BUGBUG. I thought the super boy or whatever that suicide guy is was glitching or something. The thing is BUGBUG not only glitches the graphics for a short amount of time, but also crashes the game. This mod should also be known as the Glitch mod.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I am awestruck, never did I expect to see something like this appearing out of nowhere. An absolute instant classic, and I think everyone is unanimously in agreement. I think my playing skills have deteriorated almost as much as Keen's skills at being Commander Keen because I find this quite difficult to play... then again I find all the great keen4 mods difficult so maybe I need to step up my game. I would not agree that it is 'too difficult', because the natural trajectory of Keen has surely been to get more challenging as time goes on, starting from Keen1.

The music is most enjoyable but like others I have had it cut out on occasion.

But overall... just wow! What a surprise, and proof that when a great mod is released, rather than demotivate others into hopelessness, it spurs others to try to exceed it! Which you may well have done!
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

wiivn wrote:The thing is BUGBUG not only glitches the graphics for a short amount of time, but also crashes the game.
yeah i know, i mentioned it earlier i think. thats one of the actual bugs in the game i'd like fixed.

I find this quite difficult to play
hmm, i should probly make the game easier.

but like others I have had it cut out on occasion.
this is kinda weird :p i havent had the music cut out on me for quite a while. you guys are all using Dosbox right? or would the version of dosbox you use have an effect somehow?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Benvolio wrote:and proof that when a great mod is released, rather than demotivate others into hopelessness, it spurs others to try to exceed it! Which you may well have done!
Yes, at first I was like "how did he do that?" But then it actually gave me some ideas...
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

Nice work!

My first impressions in a nutshell:

Thanks for making veggies kill me.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I played through the mod on easy, which was plenty challenging (I didn't have to use god mode too many times, though).

I'm sure about these crashes and glitches people are having. I never had the music cut out at any time. A couple times on a later playthrough the game did crash when I warped to a few levels, but this wasn't a problem for me (besides, I've been dealing with random crashes for a while in my own modding). I used to think the bugbug was a glitched enemy, so I did my best to avoid it, which is probably why I never had any big crashes with it.

I did finish the game, although I had to cheat a bit to do it. I completed all the dome levels, but I couldn't find any way to activate the bridge to the palace level. The final level was very cool, although the design still doesn't seem perfect as it is very hard to win. I won't spoil it, but I really liked the ending sequence. It was a very satisfying ending.

Having played through it all, I found most of the city/dome levels to be absolutely mindblowing. Although the levels designs could get a bit confusing at times, I was very impressed how you combined all the elements into such cool looking cities. Seriously, having modded for a few years I know how hard that is. My least favorite levels were the early sick forest levels. I didn't care for the design on those, and the music was not very good. Overall, most of the music was decent and fit the mood, although imho it was one of the weaker aspects of the mod.

As wiivn said, I found the new Keen sprites pretty funny. I think it's become a common joke that Keen grows up like this, and the clever sprite work really captured this. Interestingly, this is the first time I've ever seen a resized Keen in a Galaxy mod that actually works. It's a bit clunky at times, but still very well done.
i love the comments you guys i had no idea abuot all the 'wows' etc. I'd be getting. i thought atleast some people would be pissed off that it diverts from the usual commander keen feel of the game.
Honestly, I don't think people mind something different. The game could be a bit hard to play in spots, but we've never seen graphics and levels like this before. And this game just game out of nowhere so quickly. I wish I could make a gigantic mod this fast. Trust me, I know what it's like to want to finish a big mod.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Gridlock wrote: I did finish the game, although I had to cheat a bit to do it. I completed all the dome levels, but I couldn't find any way to activate the bridge to the palace level.
ah- theres a mini level that you have to 'deal with' thats after Gleem City. i hope its not too hard to find :( it shoudl be right there. (ugh, im beginning to think maybe i should have level markers).

there are some puzzles you have to do to finish the game. i hope they're not too hard or confusing :/ i thought i should put more Yakkis on the map that explains certain things more clearer.

The final level was very cool, although the design still doesn't seem perfect as it is very hard to win.
it is possible, i just made it hard :p but once you know how it isn't too bad.

I didn't care for the design on those, and the music was not very good. Overall, most of the music was decent and fit the mood, although imho it was one of the weaker aspects of the mod.
yeah the music for some of the forest levels i was never 100% sure about. i kinda like it myself, but i thought to either have crazy music or sinister music. i ended up going with crazy music.

also, although i really like the music for the map level, i thought maybe it'd be more fitting to have more of a 'mysterious' piece of music. im still not sure.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Just small amount of vga:
Image Image Image
Last edited by Roobar on Sun May 26, 2013 17:43, edited 4 times in total.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

oh wow, hehe.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

I had ammo gun I couldn't pick

Also many areas are not passable if you get out of ammo. and those red cleaners waste many ammo.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

DoomJedi wrote:I had ammo gun I couldn't pick
haha. thats a bit of a joke- look at the gun again ;)

Also many areas are not passable if you get out of ammo. and those red cleaners waste many ammo.
i thought there was plenty of ammo in the game :( did you warp to a level from the beginning? i think if you play the game properly from the beginning theres enough ammo.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Issues in the mod that may require a second 'easier' release:

* More ammo; Keeners are amo spammers.
* The Bugbug crash glitch is due to the way the screen effect corrupts graphics memory. If used there WILL always be a chance of game crash\freeze. An alternate enbugging may be useful. (Such as simply turning Keen's sprite to gibberish.)
* Don't try and save\load your game in Crystal gardens

I haven't seen any music bugs (nor heard them either.) and the difficulty seemed ok to me. (This may be why people think my mods are hard.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.