Ok, my turn- my mod 'The Ruin of Roib'

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

This is spectacular.

I love how you've even made Paddle War appropriately glitchy.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

oh- haha. the paddle war isnt supposed to be that way :p i honestly was trying to change it but cuoldn't get it to work (i was trying to make it Hacked Paddle War and your paddle stretched across the screen and, basically, you could never lose. but the hitboxes for the paddles dont seem to have any effect and i couldnt make it work).
* Don't try and save\load your game in Crystal gardens
hey thanks for that lass. it turns out it was cause of an incorrect 'jump' at the end of initialisation code for an item in the level. ive noticed this error before actually.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I also notice a few of your patches are nonfunctional for various reasons.. And sometimes the music in the last level can't play.

However this has the most awesome possibility for a sequel I have ever seen. (It'd make a great duology.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Commander Keen
Vortininja

Post by Commander Keen »

After playing, I am quiet amazed that this wasnt done as a group project, but by one person, with a little help from Levellass. The detail put into the graphics, the amount of changes made to the original programming, and the semi fresh thought of how Keen would look as an adult made this game worthy of being a true sequel fitting in after TUIT. All you need to do is fix the few bugs mentioned by others. Now..... for a mod of Keen in his teen years..... or young adult......
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

All you need to do is fix the few bugs mentioned by others.
oh yeah, this is just a 'beta' release (lol, im not even sure what these release names mean exactly. it just sounds right) anways im working on 'beta v2' now.

Levellass wrote:I also notice a few of your patches are nonfunctional for various reasons
yeah a few ideas i abandoned cause I couldn't get them to work right. my biggest abandoned idea was to have keen get abilities or goodies when he collects a certain amount of points. its annoying cause i got close- when you collect over a certain number of points a message pops up, but it keeps popping up repeatedly (which makes sense) but i had an idea of how to fix it (just the message code also increments the 'low' score value by 10 and have a check that the low score is 0, and so it never will. probly doesnt make sense the way i wrote it here) but it never worked for some reason. but then i lost interest anyway.

one idea i'd like to have work is having a 'vertical' roach that crawls up and down walls, alongside my normal horizontal ones. i had a cheap idea of just making it be like a moving platform between B sprites, but i couldn't get it to move in jerks, so i abandoned it. but then i had the idea of just messing around with the ordinary 'move along floor' sprite-tile check, whcih i havent dont yet. but ill probly give it a shot at some point.

And sometimes the music in the last level can't play
ah crap. its one of those memory problems huh?

However this has the most awesome possibility for a sequel I have ever seen. (It'd make a great duology.)
in truth, i'd love to make a sequel, i got a bunch of ideas. but i just feel bad about putting so much time and effort into something when i could be doing so much better things with my life. eh, maybe i could work on it but at a much, much slower pace so i could do other things. or maybe some of you crazy cats could help me out ;)
Last edited by Bernie on Tue May 28, 2013 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Commander Keen wrote:with a little help from Levellass
It seems like Levellass is behind every single mod for the past few years. You know what they're sayin': behind every single great mod stands Levellass.
Commander Keen wrote:Now..... for a mod of Keen in his teen years..... or young adult......
I think I'll reserve "Commander Teen" as a possible name for now.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

hey, i want to ask everyone whos played through the mod- are the 'puzzle' elements in the game okay? too hard? too confusing? i mean mainly the one at the beginning of Border Woods and Bobble Plant level.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Levellass wrote:(This may be why people think my mods are hard.)
If you need to know it's because they are confusing and glitchy, and like in levellord mods you never know what kills you (i.e. everything)

And this looks great, creepily high quality graphics
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

This is amazing!

I've mirrored a download on the KeenWiki as well!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

yeah a few ideas i abandoned cause I couldn't get them to work right. my biggest abandoned idea was to have keen get abilities or goodies when he collects a certain amount of points. its annoying cause i got close- when you collect over a certain number of points a message pops up, but it keeps popping up repeatedly (which makes sense) but i had an idea of how to fix it (just the message code also increments the 'low' score value by 10 and have a check that the low score is 0, and so it never will. probly doesnt make sense the way i wrote it here) but it never worked for some reason. but then i lost interest anyway.
This is actually quite possible, I looked it over. You should have attached it to the points getting code instead of the cheat and used a double check. (If score is greater than 100'000 but less than 105'000 then trigger message) It wouldn't be hard at all to get that to work.

one idea i'd like to have work is having a 'vertical' roach that crawls up and down walls, alongside my normal horizontal ones. i had a cheap idea of just making it be like a moving platform between B sprites, but i couldn't get it to move in jerks, so i abandoned it. but then i had the idea of just messing around with the ordinary 'move along floor' sprite-tile check, whcih i havent dont yet. but ill probly give it a shot at some point.

This is more complex. You'd probably just want something that behaves like the mad mushroom in Zoltan's revenge, moving jerkily and bouncing off of floors and ceilings. (Without the bounce sound and all that jazz of course.) It too would be pretty easy to code.

hey, i want to ask everyone whos played through the mod- are the 'puzzle' elements in the game okay? too hard? too confusing? i mean mainly the one at the beginning of Border Woods and Bobble Plant level.
They're mostly exploration puzzles which aren't so bad. (What I had problems with was the doors in the city ground; often I'd totally fail to recognize them as anything but more awesome background.

A good guide to puzzles I have found is simply to make vital puzzles simple but 'extra credit' puzzles as hard as you like.

If you need to know it's because they are confusing and glitchy,
Yet my palytesters don't complain and the glitches, especially the annoying ones seem to never work for me on my system. Lord knows I set up my recent mod to be almost uncrashable, but I'm sure someone will find it formats their hard drive.

in truth, i'd love to make a sequel, i got a bunch of ideas. but i just feel bad about putting so much time and effort into something when i could be doing so much better things with my life. eh, maybe i could work on it but at a much, much slower pace so i could do other things. or maybe some of you crazy cats could help me out
There's no need to go full on dedication to a project. Remember, OrbKeen has been under construction almost since the start of the Keen community, and you (seldom) see anyone complaining about progress.

Also:

Another electric blast of energy echoed through the underground base. Base Commander Zedet Kreeg smashed his hand down on the control panel and barked desperate commands at his subordinates.

'Kill him! KILL HIM I said! It's just one human with a plasma railgun!'

The orders went unheeded; by the time they were spoken there was nobody on alpha deck to hear them. Zedet watched the figure on one of the few functioning video monitors as it deftly picked up an access card, opened the deck lock, turned and-

Fzzzt. Another monitor down.

It was impossible. IMPOSSIBLE! They had encountered him before, oh yes, what was the planet...? Vorticon VI. Yes. And they'd all heard the stories, the legends that grew in the telling. Once every planet in the galaxy had known of the child from earth who commanded respect and fear in equal measure.

But he had vanished decades ago! Dead surely? What else could make someone with that ambition, that potential just disappear? And yet... and yet... here he was, in the flesh, on his home planet no less!

Could he run? There was still time. It was his only chance; if the legends were true, which he most certainly believed at this point, then this creature had no mercy, no pity in his soul. He had slaughtered his way through Vorticon VI and made the populace worship him for it. He had decimated the Shikadi and crushed the Krodacian homeworld. Earth was lost, possibly everything was lost. He turned to flee.

The airlock exploded into a million white hot metal pieces. Standing where it once was was a menacing helmeted figure pointing a very dangerous looking weapon in Zedet 's direction, its face a mask of cold rage. When the creature spoke its voice was full of menace and the pride of victory.

"Your base is toast. Your attack forces have been decimated."

Zedet fell back, trying to crawl away but too terrified to turn his back. He gibbered incoherently, unable to speak.

"You will leave, you and those few who have survived. And you will tell all that you meet that this planet is under my protection. I may have made some questionable choices in the past, but now I now what my purpose is, what I must do. I will defend this planet, even though it's full of jerks and idiots and weaklings. Now... go!"

Zedet didn't need telling twice. Within seconds he was sprinting down the smoking corridor as fast as his short legs could carry him. Straight to the emergency escape pods.

Deep within the central control hub a pale hand skittered over a touch-screen readout, calmly and methodically setting the base's systems to overload. This task soon completed, the hero took a quick break to admire his handiwork. Brown eyes stared back at him as he watched all the dials slowly creep up to red. The news would spread quickly. The universe would know of his return. Earth would be safe for a long time now. He pressed the switch on his personal teleportation device and rematerialized in the oval office.

"Nobody messes with President McMire."
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

What I had problems with was the doors in the city ground
uh... where do you mean? what level are you referring to? the doors you walk up in in Gleam City? (level before the palace one; third last level).

You should have attached it to the points getting code
where *is* the points getting code anyways? the problem though is that, adding any code in it, i'd be taking over code the game uses, wouldnt I? with taking over cheat code I can just turn off the cheats and then the worlds my oyster. but then to get it to work is another story :/

levellasses story
haha, was that fanfiction?? :p
nice idea at the end there. i never even considered using McMire.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

This is the mod most of us wish we could make.

Once I finish it, I'll have a more in-depth review of this.

But damn...from only finishing the first level, I sand by my first statement: this *is* the mod most of us wish we could make.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Bernie wrote:uh... where do you mean? what level are you referring to? the doors you walk up in in Gleam City? (level before the palace one; third last level).
The blue city ground in general; the oval doorways in the background just didn't look like doors to me.

Also I have a list of approximately 25 bugs to report. (Mostly level bugs such as ground not being solid so you can pull yourself through it and/or get stuck.)
Bernie wrote:where *is* the points getting code anyways? the problem though is that, adding any code in it, i'd be taking over code the game uses, wouldnt I? with taking over cheat code I can just turn off the cheats and then the worlds my oyster. but then to get it to work is another story :/
I've just been looking it over. The idea would be simple; a useless cheat instead checks Keen's score and does stuff when he has enough points. This patch will give Keen 20K points when he gets 250K (as well as displaying a congrats message.):

Code: Select all

#Border cheat now checks score
%patch $73B4 $81 $3E $7A50W  $D090W  $72 $09 $81 $3E $7A52W  $0003W $74 $04 $90

#Border cheat increases score by 20K
%patch $73F3 $B8 $4E20W  $50 $9A $06BD1EF2RL     $83 $C4 $02 $9A $14600EDFRL
             $83 $36 $29 $C6 $01 $B8 $0001W  $5F $5E $8B $E5 $5D $CB

All sorts of things can be added from winning the game to giving of items to turning on of god mode.

Bernie wrote:haha, was that fanfiction?? :p
nice idea at the end there. i never even considered using McMire.
Well something made Mortimer not want to destroy the universe even after Keen wasn't around and he's president which means he's focused on earthly affairs. This was just logic, Mort has obviously had time to do things. Lots of time.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

One of my favourite features of this mod is how you used dithering between two similar colours to "expand" the EGA palette.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I love this. The atmosphere and design and story are all dark, grim humor at their finest, and fabulously made aside. Whether the glaring menu and start glitches are intentional or not, they seem to fit the whole theme of degradation and decay that the mod is build around. Looking forward to trying to beat this mother.