Ok, my turn- my mod 'The Ruin of Roib'

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

wiivn wrote:Yeah, right after finishing it. Try something like what I was doing: saving before the level, finish it, load, enter again, finish it etc.
hmm... i just tried that, and tried a whole bunch of load/save combinations, but still can't get it happening. were you able to make this error happen a number of times or just that once?
One more thing. I didn't succeed with beating the boss. And I tried a lot, but without success. Anyone beat the boss without cheats?
hmmm.... was i being too cruel for the last level? maybe i should slow that big guy down a tad.
I found two 30k points (those are awesome!). Are there more?
did you read the exit DOS screen? anways, yes, theres six of them.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

In fact the help section mentions them too. does nobody read those things? Could I eliminate it entirely from my mods?

hmmm.... was i being too cruel for the last level? maybe i should slow that big guy down a tad.
Or have some sneakier ways to get pas him. Possibly shooting him makes him pause briefly and/or be harmless?

well its sorta complex to make an enemy in keen 4 take more than 1 shot to kill. i thought about having them temporarily stunnable (like the arachnuts) but lets see if im bothered to do this or not.
Easier than it looks; just increment a counter like the Mad Mushroom does.

i actually like the music i made for it Cheeky i dont get what you guys are talking about. although i do think its too repetitive- but there isnt much i can do about that. a few of my tunes are quite big, memory wise (even after i already butchered them to make them smaller), so i have to have them as short as comfortably possible.
Loved the music. This does not bode well for my own efforts.

Possibly however some more songs would be appreciated. There's a push in AR to have each level have a different song.

Yeah....from bright kids we become some beerbelly adults who have nothing beside good old memories.
Of course some of us remember the lack of freedom and opportunity, the bullies the forced vegetable eating and other joys of childhood.

oh neat Grin uh... can i see this list?
Most of them are level design bugs easily fixed with the addition of some invisible solid tiles to the foreground layer. (As a precaution I'd fill all of my 'solid' ground with invisible blocking tiles for just that reason.) These two bugs stood out:

and thanks a bunch also levellass for that code there Wink for that i just may make your name bigger on teh credits pic.
Come the final release the pic will be nothing but a static-y 'L' So it goes.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Levellass wrote:In fact the help section mentions them too. does nobody read those things? Could I eliminate it entirely from my mods?
i actually like reading through what i wrote in the computer wrist section more that actually playing the mod :p
Or have some sneakier ways to get past him. Possibly shooting him makes him pause briefly and/or be harmless?
whoa thats a good idea actually.
Easier than it looks; just increment a counter like the Mad Mushroom does.
ohhh thats a great idea.
Possibly however some more songs would be appreciated. There's a push in AR to have each level have a different song.
uhhh, i dunno why exactly, but i think having too many songs wouldn't be cool. some of the songs have particular themes to them, and if each level had its own song, that quality of them would be gone (plus it'd make each song less memorable).
Most of them are level design bugs easily fixed with the addition of some invisible solid tiles to the foreground layer. (As a precaution I'd fill all of my 'solid' ground with invisible blocking tiles for just that reason.)
hmm... do they add anything to memory though?
These two bugs stood out:
done!
thanks again ;)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Adding different tiles to a level consumes memory, but not much per tile. If the tile is *already* in the level it adds nothing to memory to have more of it.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

This mod is awesome! The graphics are kick-ass, the story is humorous and patching is above top notch. Level design and difficulty all great. Only problem is I cannot activate the bridge in order to get to Roib Palace and The Opening. I am guessing that activating the bridge will also activate other paths a few of the secret levels that I have not found yet?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Bloogbae
Grunt

Post by Bloogbae »

you should make the next keen trilogy!! :drool
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Syllypryde wrote:This mod is awesome! The graphics are kick-ass, the story is humorous and patching is above top notch. Level design and difficulty all great. Only problem is I cannot activate the bridge in order to get to Roib Palace and The Opening. I am guessing that activating the bridge will also activate other paths a few of the secret levels that I have not found yet?
At least one. Many of the secret levels require you to find... holes in the map. Places you think you'd not be able to walk.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Levellass wrote:At least one. Many of the secret levels require you to find... holes in the map. Places you think you'd not be able to walk.
Besides the supposed bridge crossing, I noticed four other crossings over Goop River. One just bellow Crashed Ship, another above left of Yakki Resort. In fact, the object across looks like a scoreboard, so maybe Bernie put the High Scores in level as NY00123 did with Aliens Ate My Babysitter...Again. The third crossing is at the right of Poison River and above Abandoned Tower. The fourth is below The Bobble Plant. Earlier in this thread Gridlock mentioned he could not figure out how to activate the bridge across either. Bernie said it had something to do with a mini-level you have to deal with. I found and completed both Candy Stores and The Bobble Plant yet still I cannot figure out how to extend that bridge. I am assuming what I have left is a palace, the final level and 1-4? secret levels.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

You have to do something in the Bobble Plant mini level to extend the bridges. maybe i should put some clue in the game or something. what do you think?
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Bernie wrote:You have to do something in the Bobble Plant mini level to extend the bridges. maybe i should put some clue in the game or something. what do you think?
Understood, I will figure it out somehow. Thank you!

Edit: Wow! I feel like an idiot now!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

well when you figure it out, maybe come back and mention if you thought it was easy enough to figure out. i havent gotten any feedback about this 'puzzle' yet. thanks :p
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Bernie wrote:well when you figure it out, maybe come back and mention if you thought it was easy enough to figure out. i havent gotten any feedback about this 'puzzle' yet. thanks :p
I figured it out, but I do not want to spoil it for anyone else.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Syllypryde wrote: I figured it out, but I do not want to spoil it for anyone else.
well- without saying what it is you have to do- did you find it easy enough to figure out?

P.S I'd love to make box art for this game :p i wish i could get some deal with Id software to sell the game for like 10 bucks or something (ofcourse once i fix up all the bugs in the game and all).
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Bernie wrote:well- without saying what it is you have to do- did you find it easy enough to figure out?......
I feel kind of dumb that I did not figure it out sooner. I think it is a very clever way to hide the switch. There are a lot of clever ideas in this game, bushes with endless gems, very well hidden mega candy (I have found 5 of the 6), fairly well hidden secret levels, Interesting enemies... I really enjoy this game.

In Poison River when I put the green gem in the gem holder, the door only opens part way and Keen cannot go through it. I assume this is a bug?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

No, it's part of the fact that Roib is broken. The real exit lies to the left. I exited that way then replayed to see if I could use the 'proper' exit (Maybe it led to a bonus?) and was delightfully surprised.

I think to be absolutely knock-em-over-the-head obvious with the plant level a 'no shooting' sign should be in the level. Stupid people are notoriously sign intolerant.