Ok, my turn- my mod 'The Ruin of Roib'

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

I think to be absolutely knock-em-over-the-head obvious with the plant level a 'no shooting' sign should be in the level
haha, thats a really good idea actually :p
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

As depressing as the mod is, there is a good moral to be had from it. The people we shrug off and mistreat could be the very same people who could help us in the future. It really stresses the importance of kindness.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

But will you give even one more nickel to that bum on the street because of it?

Frankly I think it teaches you not to slack off, look where even the best may end up!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

There's many different ways to interpret it. It's hard enough that Keen became poor, but then he was severely mistreated, which led to him not caring about the fate of the world. I'm probably looking too deep into what is otherwise just a parody, but who knows what circumstances led Keen to being a deadbeat between episodes 10 through 57. Perhaps Spot passed away, or Princess Lindsey left him, or just bitterness at Mortimer for somehow being more successful than him.

You could also be right and that Keen is just a slacker, which could explain why Mortimer has always had the upper hand. Mortimer is just far more proactive in ways that Keen is not. How else was Mortimer able to slip through Keen's grasp on a cosmic scale, not once, not twice, but three times.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

there is a reason why he became what he became. but i cannot say it. it is a dark, dark secret. if i make a sequel to this mod, i might show what happened. but i can't say it right now. it is far too dark and secret. oh man.

:crazy jokes. i have no idea.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Yes folks, Keen sank as low as it was possible to go.

He became a brony. There was no hope after that.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Commander Keen wrote:

"Now..... for a mod of Keen in his teen years..... or young adult......"

That was given up. :dead
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

All he did was go to work, pay taxes and praise Ayn Rand.
JBJBJB
Grunt

Post by JBJBJB »

Very nice mod!

Only played two levels so far, but on "Wreck City" music got cut out once when saving the game, and when i try to load the "Wreck City" save file the game just goes black with music playing in the background
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

JBJBJB wrote:Only played two levels so far, but on "Wreck City" music got cut out once when saving the game, and when i try to load the "Wreck City" save file the game just goes black with music playing in the background
hmm, thanks, ill try doing something about that. i always had problems with that level and memory.

you *do* use dosbox though right? i keep being paranoid that people aren't playing it through dosbox :(
JBJBJB
Grunt

Post by JBJBJB »

Bernie wrote:
JBJBJB wrote:Only played two levels so far, but on "Wreck City" music got cut out once when saving the game, and when i try to load the "Wreck City" save file the game just goes black with music playing in the background
hmm, thanks, ill try doing something about that. i always had problems with that level and memory.

you *do* use dosbox though right? i keep being paranoid that people aren't playing it through dosbox :(
Yes, DosBOX 0.74

Is there no possible way to allocate more memory for the game?
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

heh, you're actually using a higher version of dosbox than i am. im using 0.73.

hmm, i wonder if that makes any difference. cause i dont *seem* to have as many memory problems as lots of people here seem to be having. only on the odd, kinda rare, occassion i get music cut out here or there.

and i don't know how to give the game more memory. im not sure anyone here knows how to either :/ lots of my levels in this mod are kinda teetering on the verge of its maximum memory usage allowed. so i wish there *was* a way :p all i can do right now is take out enemies or cut out frames to free up memory.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

* Using background tiles instead of foreground

* Using IMFCrush to squish music

* Reducing the shifts each sprite frames (Especially big ones or stationary ones like the mines) use to 2 or 1.

* Disable the F10-Y cheat

* Don't use 'edge of map tiles' use a tile in the level

* If at all possible don't use\minimize use of point item sprites

* Make all unused game sounds as short as possible
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

JBJBJB wrote:
Yes, DosBOX 0.74

Do you mean let dosbox have more memory? The config file can be changed for more
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
JBJBJB
Grunt

Post by JBJBJB »

MoffD wrote:
JBJBJB wrote:
Yes, DosBOX 0.74

Do you mean let dosbox have more memory? The config file can be changed for more
Yes but i don't think Commander Keen can use any more then the standard 640K that Bill Gates thought would be enough for everyone way back =)

I guess the game itself would need to support Extended (XMS) or something like that to use more then 640K... but thats just my guess