Commander Keen: Heroes Lost

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Thud
Grunt

Commander Keen: Heroes Lost

Post by Thud »

This is a JRPG based on the Keeniverse made with MegaZeux 2.84c

You can find MegaZeux for any platform you want HERE: http://vault.digitalmzx.net/search.php? ... arch=2.84c

and the game is HERE: http://vault.digitalmzx.net/show.php?id=1986

Enjoy!
it's worth noting that you can fullscreen this game (and any other game in mzx) by pressing CTL+ALT+ENTER

"This game is a perfect 10 by any measure. Not only was it well worth the year and two months since ThDPro conceived it, it is well worth the two decades, two years and twelve days since Ids original release. Here's a truly epic game that will not only impress, but enrapture." -TheJman (dMZX)

You can also find the OST here: https://soundcloud.com/thdpro/sets/comm ... s-lost-ost
Last edited by Thud on Wed Jan 02, 2013 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Wow! Congratulations! I usually don't play these kind of rpgs, but yours is a very good one!

I have a strange feeling though. Kinda like I was playing this before. Like a DeJavu. Strange.

But anyways, the most intriguing thing is the story. I don't quite like the battle mechanics (when it demands fast reactions and the fact that you have to wait for your turn), but the story is the strongest point that is driving this game.

Actually, I'm gonna complain more about the battle system. It would be great to add some more indications that your health is low. Like sound or something. This is because when you're concentrated on the battle, you might miss to heal someone.
Thud
Grunt

Post by Thud »

That is actually not a bad idea at all. There will be an update to the game after I hear back from more people on dMZX and have played it again myself, but that's definitely going on the list.

EDIT: it's worth noting that you can fullscreen this game (and any other game in mzx) by pressing CTL+ALT+ENTER
Thud
Grunt

Post by Thud »

Someone was kind enough to give it a review:

http://vault.digitalmzx.net/show.php?id ... #review330
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Oooooooh, I like the look of this one. Can't believe I missed this when it first came up. Giving this a download. :D
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

This game is awesome (though I'm not a big fan of the cussing in a Keen game, to be honest)! You've put a lot of effort into the game, I hope more people check it out!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I tried playing it once, but I didn't get very far because of how hard that rpg battle system was. The story certainly was intriguing, though. I wish there was a way to play this just for the story, ignoring a lot of the frustrating parts. I also didn't care much for the graphical style. It just seemed sloppy and wrong for Keen.

I'm sure Thud put a lot of effort into this game, but it's a shame so few people will see much of it.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Thud
Grunt

why don't people read readmes anymore

Post by Thud »

There is a way to jut skip battles, you'll find the console commands in the f2 menu. You can also do lots of other stuff with the console, give yourself money, set your level, and just win battles. (press 's' during a battle and then type 'win'. It'll win any battle at any time.)

Here, the console help is actually one the screenshots I uploaded:

(there's actually a .txt containing a detailed list of commands as well in the KEEN folder)

(Why don't people look at help menus or read readmes anymore???)

The graphical style is mostly due to the limiting factors of a textmode grid, not much I could do about it.
I'm sure Thud put a lot of effort into this game, but it's a shame so few people will see much of it.
Well, having been made in MegaZeux, I never expected it to be widely available or popular, it's actually eclipsed all my expectations already.
(though I'm not a big fan of the cussing in a Keen game, to be honest)
He grew up. He's allowed to now... or not... in any case, anyone in a position of wanting to play this game is likely not any less than 20 years old. Not too worried about offending, but I get where you're coming from. Just, given the medium, I didn't mind humanizing Keen a bit more, especially for a more story-driven game.