Martinez McMeyer 4: Intelligent Intellect

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.

Should I make Mart 5 & 6

Yeah, definitely
78%
Nope
22%

Total votes: 18

szemi
Vorticon Elite

Martinez McMeyer 4: Intelligent Intellect

Post by szemi »

And it's done! :)

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4975825/Mart4.zip

(All the bugs and problems maximally fixed :))

Commentary

Songs: The songs (except one) are Keen 9 outtake musics, which I used with full permission.

1. Keen Four-Step by Mr.M
2. M.O.R.T.I.M.E.R by Mr.M
3. Ilene's Song by XkyRauh
4. 33 by Mr.M
5. Swamp Gas by Gridlock
6. Carol's Pipes by XkyRauh

Graphics: Some graphics are taken from Keen 9, but I credited the Keen 9 team for that. Some tiles were made by Mobiethian, he's credited as well. Also, some rocket tiles are from wiivn

References: There are many references in the game, but I don't wanna tell them as it would no longer be excited.

Mortimer: This time you fight him normally(not like in Keen 9), but now you have to shoot him 40 times. If you touch him, you die(unlike in Keen 9)

Tools I used: KeenGraph, Startext, The Omegamatic v1.0, Galactile v4.0, The Neural Stunner, CKPatch, TheDraw, KeenScr, KeenWave

Edit: Wiki page http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Galaxy_Mods (The Grand Intelligence IV: Intelligent Intellect)

P.S. After I created a Wiki page for this mod please add pictures there, ok? :)

P.S.2 I'll start Mart5 soon. ;)
Last edited by szemi on Tue Sep 03, 2013 21:52, edited 7 times in total.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Just played through the first couple levels. I've noticed only two real flaws as of now.
1) Hazards. It can be really hard to tell what kills you and what doesn't at times, especially with the little fireballs. The bright backgrounds make them too hard to see.
2) Level design. The first level seemed a bit too short and a little bland to me. If you're going to make a revision of this mod, it might be a good idea to add more optional areas while keeping the path to the exit somewhat linear. Another problem I've had was with one of the Rockets, probably B, but don't take my word on that. I think it was way too long for the fourth level, and an optional one at that.

Other than that, this is a very cool game, I love the music. Good job. :)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Martinez McMeyer 4: Intelligent Intellect

Post by Roobar »

szemi wrote: Graphics: Some graphics are taken from Keen 9, but I credited the Keen 9 team for that. Some tiles were made by Mobiethian, he's credited as well.
And some graphics I've made for you, but you didn't credited me. Way to go ungrateful twat! Don't expect any help from me anymore.
Last edited by Roobar on Mon Sep 02, 2013 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Re: Martinez McMeyer 4: Intelligent Intellect

Post by szemi »

wiivn wrote:
szemi wrote: Graphics: Some graphics are taken from Keen 9, but I credited the Keen 9 team for that. Some tiles were made by Mobiethian, he's credited as well.
And some graphics I've made for you, but you didn't credited me. Way to go ungrateful twat!
Those, who checks my topic where I requested rocket platforms will know you made them. (Especially after telling this here.)

Oh, and ungrateful twat is who says. =) And way to go, YOU! I won't expect anything from you, after all especially not, because you were rude. (And you are wondering why I'm mad at you? Duh!)
Last edited by szemi on Mon Sep 02, 2013 19:05, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

this is gonna sound mean- and please don't take this personally- but this mod is kinda terrible :p i actually liked the story and text in the game cause of all the engrish and bad grammar, i laughed quite a bit. and that 'null pointer' error at the bottom of the ending dos text was the cherry on top :) but i think i have a pretty high standard when it comes to modding, so by all means ignore me.

but a few problems i came across:

*doorways and exit shutes in space? probly best to put some sort of wall/tech background to these.
*that level where you're floating in space doesn't seem to have an exit.
*those floating bombs don't kill you. is that right?
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Bernie wrote:this is gonna sound mean- and please don't take this personally- but this mod is kinda terrible :p i actually liked the story and text in the game cause of all the engrish and bad grammar, i laughed quite a bit. and that 'null pointer' error at the bottom of the ending dos text was the cherry on top :) but i think i have a pretty high standard when it comes to modding, so by all means ignore me.

*doorways and exit shutes in space? probly best to put some sort of wall/tech background to these.
Uhuh, you are trying to convience me to ignore you? Well, I won't, because what you said sounded like a master modder. =P
Yeah, piece of cake!
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

well, i just didnt want you to feel bad about what i said.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Bernie wrote:well, i just didnt want you to feel bad about what i said.
Nice of you, but still "rude" a bit. And after all I don't know if I should make Mart 5 & 6....
Yeah, piece of cake!
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

well i was just being honest. its just my personal opinion anyway.
but if you have fun making mods and you like them, by all means keep going.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Maybe...

Anyway: it's the initial version. I'll improve it.
Yeah, piece of cake!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I think this is a very important release.
In a modding perspective, it clearly shows:
-what to do
-what not to do
-what to consider
-what makes a mod boring
-how much open area/empty space a level should have
-how many enemies and where they should be positioned
We've seen great examples, but Mart4 shows a very different example of these things. I think I can learn something here. Good work, szemi!
Some levels are just waiting to have nice details put into them. I'm sure future releases will be much better! :)
Watch Demo Here
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Wow, thanks for the kind words, man! :) Also, I'm glad you made a demo video. I'll try to do my best in Mart5. ;)
Yeah, piece of cake!
cyber zero
Vortininja

Post by cyber zero »

I like it.
But I'm having a problem in one of the levels. The one Martinez flies in space.
I'm at the ending of the level but I can't get out. What's wrong?
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

Bernie wrote:this is gonna sound mean- and please don't take this personally- but this mod is kinda terrible :p i actually liked the story and text in the game cause of all the engrish and bad grammar, i laughed quite a bit. and that 'null pointer' error at the bottom of the ending dos text was the cherry on top :) but i think i have a pretty high standard when it comes to modding, so by all means ignore me.

I think it's because of some kind of spatial interference that caused this mod to be released either 7 months too early or 5 months too late.

Yeah, going around and insulting everybody who describes bugs and errors with your mod is a really great way to establish that you're a good sport and all.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

I'm still playing through the mod. Honestly, I've never been the kind of person that can easily pick out what needs changed and what not. I just leave that up to the modding pros. So far, I am enjoying it and, at the least, I'll say that I do like what I see!

Oh, and wow, I haven't posted here since.. forever! It's nice to be back in the Keen scene again though. I'll try to be more active. :blush