Version 1.6.5.3 Beta

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Version 1.6.5.3 Beta

Post by gerstrong »

Hello,

as I had some delays due of lack of some help unfortunately on the project, I'm going to break up into another version and release it with some of the newer features I have implemented.

The bad news are that network is at 0 % implemented. It will have to wait a bit more as there are some construction sites in the code I still want to get finished.

I think this version nevertheless will provide more features for the best because:
  • The game resolutions 320x200, 320x240 and 640x80 are implemented. That means you will have more visible area in the levels. It was hard to implement a bit, because of borders and blockers, but it's done. The disadvantage is, that you most likely will see more secrets or discover them more easily, but well. Multiplayer with other buddies is a lot of fun with that resolution. So it will boost up that coop player experience.

The Intro Screen is finally in. You will see that animation of Commander Keen and the scrolling text from bottom to top as well. I looked for some information in how to do it, and now it works. I also know how to change the whole stuff there, except the color, which for now is hard coded on depends on the episode your are playing.

SDL 2.0 is fully implemented. I will build for Windows and Android version using that lib, for Linux I don't know yet, because many distros don't ship it yet. So SDL 1.2 will still be supported though.

For Android there is a new overlay theme, which will look a bit like the gravis gamepad but have own buttons indicating what actions are done for keen. It is much more intuitive than the sun theme you always had.

I also will promote Dr.Colossus mod called Terror in Space. Downloading Keen as bundle or on Google Play Store will provide That one, Keen 1, 4 and 7. I'd say four games for the price of zero, what could be better? More games? Hahaha... :p
I'm right working on it. So only Netplay will be missing and that is for version 1.8. It will take more time, but I will try my best as usual. Just be patient! It only can get better!!!
Last edited by gerstrong on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
Having fun developing stuff...
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Is this version out? Because I cannot find it, neither you have provided links.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

wiivn wrote:Is this version out? Because I cannot find it, neither you have provided links.
Excuse, I was not clear enough. It is not out yet. I'm still working out some bugs and porting. SDL2 on Android needs some adaptations and SDL2 Windows needs to be built as well. Please give me some time and let me iron out as many bugs as possible, before I upload it.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Well, here goes an update.

I'm going to update the android version as well today.

It is a beta, but I think it has less problems than the previous release 1.6.1

Some problems are still left and I'll be working on it...

When Release is out, those should be fixed.

http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/download/
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Recently I've tried this on a garg 7 inch no-name 1 ghz chinese tablet and to my surprise, it was playing quite well! No noticeable lagging, the controls are ok, especially when playing on a bigger than 4 inch screen. For the first time I actually enjoyed playing this on a touch screen. The only thing is that it lacks the Terror in Space mod.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

wiivn wrote:Recently I've tried this on a garg 7 inch no-name 1 ghz chinese tablet and to my surprise, it was playing quite well! No noticeable lagging, the controls are ok, especially when playing on a bigger than 4 inch screen. For the first time I actually enjoyed playing this on a touch screen. The only thing is that it lacks the Terror in Space mod.
Don't tell me "Terror in Space" doesn't work! I tested it against that mod several times. Are there issues, or doesn't it even start?

Please let me know, because I plan to promote it.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I can confirm. I downloaded it again and Terror is missing from the available keens that can be installed from the beginning.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

wiivn wrote:I can confirm. I downloaded it again and Terror is missing from the available keens that can be installed from the beginning.
I didn't include it yet, because you still are using a beta and I need to test some things about first. In the release it will be included. For now, just download TFOS and copy it to games folder where the other 3 Keen games are installed, and violá
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

It has been some time and I'm sorry for that, but I really have a lot of business lately on other important projects.

Nevertheless I have uploaded a beta version -> 1.6.5.3 Get it today! And tell me what you think about it.

Hagel reported a lot of bugs. Thanks a lot to him!

Not all the fixes are implemented yet, I'm still on it, but most of them have been applied.

Hopefully to new year or xmas I'm going to create a special version. It will be the 5th Anniversary of Commander Genius.

http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/download/
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

God heavens, 5 years already?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Time passes as you see...
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Pfft. 5 years is nothing compared to the development time of Retrosis.

:birthday

(gerstrong I promise I'll be doing stuff for the project again next year!)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

tulip wrote:Pfft. 5 years is nothing compared to the development time of Retrosis.

:birthday

(gerstrong I promise I'll be doing stuff for the project again next year!)
That would be awesome!!! :-)